Making progress!

Options
mkletzien
mkletzien Posts: 8 Member
Hey everyone, this is my first post. I'm usually not one to share but I figured hitting 65 pounds down was worth sharing. I still have about 20 pounds to go to reach my goal weight but I'm thrilled by my progress.

I used to smoke about 1 pack of cigarettes a day and very rarely did any sort of physical activity. I've been overweight my whole life and that's the way I figured I always would be. I quit smoking in June of 2013 and in August I started going on walks a few times a week and started watching what I ate more closely.

From August through September I lost a little under 20 pounds and knew that I wanted to keep this going. I have struggled with anxiety for quite some time but I really wanted to join a local gym. The thought of working out in front of other people was absolutely terrifying to me at first. After joining the gym, it took me about 4 weeks before I could actually get myself to go workout there. One night I decided that it was time to give it a shot. I went later at night hoping that nobody was there. When I pulled into the parking lot, I saw that there were other cars there and I panicked. I immediately turned around and went home to try to calm myself down. Having a panic attack the first time that I tried to go to the gym was incredibly discouraging for me. I made all of these changes over the last few months and now I couldn't get myself to walk into a building.

I finally got myself to go back a few days later and forced myself to go inside no matter what. I started out using the weight machines they had there and walking on the treadmill. I still felt like I didn't belong there but I kept at it. I kept losing more weight and began to feel more confident.

I started running on the treadmill and really started to enjoy it. I never thought it would be something I would like but I think its because its something I've never been able to do so it is fun to see how much I can push myself. I recently was able to jog 10K on the treadmill without stopping which was an incredibly great feeling.

I'm still dealing with anxiety issues but don't want to take medication for it. I already take meds for ADHD and I would rather try to work through my anxiety by exposing myself to new things. Most of my anxiety is brought on by social situations and comes from being very unconfident my entire life. I've recently decided to try dating again but its been a struggle putting myself out there. I'm confident that I will work through this like I've worked through so many other things along the way.

The greatest thing to come out of this experience so far aside from better health is seeing how much my friends and family are there for me. Their love and support has been amazing and I couldn't have done this without them.

SW: 276
CW: 210
GW: 190

28ae7968-a9ef-44ae-9a49-72278b509763_zpsdf09463a.jpg

Replies

• Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look so handsome and amazing!

You were handsome before by the way but BRAVO!!!
  • jclist1
    jclist1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Great progress! Congrats on all your hard work!
  • ros2will3run
    ros2will3run Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    V.good!
    Sometimes feel pretty anxious too, though
    it's much better than it was! cat helped me..all
    the purring!
    Quit the cigs 3 months ago, and now v.big..but on track!
    Thanks for sharing!! Good to know what can be achieved!!
  • pamdsaul
    pamdsaul Posts: 17
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress both in your weight loss and being able to overcome your anxiety and get into the gym!!!!
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    WOW. What a great story - you should be so proud that you pushed yourself through those hard times. Its amazing how a few choices built up over time can make such a big difference in your quality of life. I have people in my life who also suffer from anxiety, and what you did was no small feat. Way to go!!!
  • Bfitness123
    Bfitness123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Great job...you look great!
  • QS82
    QS82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, thanks for sharing. Overcoming anxiety issues is no mean feat as I know all too well, so extra big congratulations, you've put the work in and you've succeeded. Will look forward to the goal pics if you choose to share them. :flowerforyou:
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    you look AMAZING!! Congrats on all your hard work and courage.
    Something that helped me at the gym was realizing I don't even notice all the others. I'm there working on myself. Chances are, so is everyone else. Then I realized...no one gives a crap what I'm doing so no more holding back!
    I also look forward to your goal pics, I know you can do it!
  • mizpoke
    mizpoke Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You are looking great! :bigsmile: Well-done working through that anxiety and achieving such a fabulous result. :drinker:
  • mkletzien
    mkletzien Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support and encouragement! :)
  • momofgilliam4
    Options
    Wow! What a transformation! Such great motivation...

Keep it up!!
  • funkim55
    funkim55 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Fantastic job!!!
  • SCSTWG
    SCSTWG Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I have to imagine that after losing so much weight and stopping smoking that physically you feel so much better. I respect that you are trying to work through the anxiety issues instead of just popping pills to treat the symptoms. Great job.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!