Do you have to stick to just one personal trainer?

Options
I've had my other trainer call him Trainer A for a while about 6 months after my first one.
I like workouts trainer A gives me ..
He took long to get back to me for another session this week I'd tried twice last Monday and Friday got no response until yesterday. I'd booked a different trainer Trainer B for this week as the other hadn't got back to me yet I wasn't sure if he would.

After seeing Trainer B he seems very good and more technical focused on the correct form (not that my other one doesn't) this one just does it more and a more strength I used o other machines my other trainer doesn't use with me. He already knew my previous plan was from Trainer A I just told him what I'd be doing an he fixed up a plan which seemed very good just different from Trainer A. His ones are more HIIT an the other seemed more strength conditioning. I feel like I learned a lot from Trainer B thinking it might not be a bad idea to switch between the two an it helps me become more knowledgeable and as they both have their different strengths.

Would it be okay to do this? it's not insulting is it to switch between the two?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    "no one can serve two masters"
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mizzcasual
    Options
    And I wouldn't want to offend either trainer too.
  • ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If either trainer is really busy and they are agreeable, you could use one for cardio/hiit and the other for strength. You have found good qualities with both of them, just a different workout and style. It is something to think about. You could ask, the worst that could happen is that they say no. You are paying them for their service, they are not paying you.

This is just a thought, I have only engaged a personal trainer for 4 sessions to create a workout that I could do on my own in my home so I don't know a lot about ongoing training.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Depends.

Are you going for "workouts" or you going for actual training/coaching and a program with long term goals?

Most trainers at typical gyms don't have programs- they just dole out workouts that are tailored to you rather than a full long term program. If you are going for long term program- no don't switch.

But if you are just going for the trainer to give you workouts- they can work around each other.
  • mizzcasual
    Options
    Depends.

Are you going for "workouts" or you going for actual training/coaching and a program with long term goals?

Most trainers at typical gyms don't have programs- they just dole out workouts that are tailored to you rather than a full long term program. If you are going for long term program- no don't switch.

But if you are just going for the trainer to give you workouts- they can work around each other.

I'm just going to get different workouts then I go about it myself.
    The trainers know each other and get one. I don't know if mine would mine and I'd be a younger client anyway I don't think they'd mind too much. It's just cause I noticed my usual trainer is great at HIIT this other one seems good at the strength/conditioning stuff.
  • mizzcasual
    Options
    I don't see the trainer all the time I've had him since June when my previous one left.
    I've had him for about 3/4 sessions not like every week or anything like that.
    And I don't want to switch but I just like them both was thinking of trying switching between the two like every 2/3 weeks.
  • mizzcasual
    Options
    I don't know would the other trainers be offended if I did that though.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    At one point I had 3 trainers I was working with - I have always had 2 trainers for the most part - I was monogamous for about 18 months but I just picked up a second trainer again a few weeks who is coaching me for competing.

The important thing - make sure both trainers are on board and don`t mind the arrangement - better yet if they actually work together - you do not want to be the source of friction. If both are good at what they do and understand what you like about each work out they should be able to work together and agree on who gets to do what

I even had both my current trainers working me during a single session this week !
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    "no one can serve two masters"
    She must quest for the one personal trainer that rules them all!
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I don't see the trainer all the time I've had him since June when my previous one left.
    I've had him for about 3/4 sessions not like every week or anything like that.
    And I don't want to switch but I just like them both was thinking of trying switching between the two like every 2/3 weeks.
    Youre overthinking it. Youre the customer, its their job to be professionals. Its no big deal. Why should they be catching feelings? Youre not even that regular a client. If it matters to you that much, ask if they mind - im sure they will say they dont
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would just talk to them and let them know what you want to do. Personal training is about you and what you want with the guidance of a trainer.

It seems more concerning to me that you seem to have difficulty contacting them at times? Or did I read that incorrectly?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I have two, both serve different purposes, and help me with different goals.
  • mizzcasual
    Options
    I would just talk to them and let them know what you want to do. Personal training is about you and what you want with the guidance of a trainer.

It seems more concerning to me that you seem to have difficulty contacting them at times? Or did I read that incorrectly?

That was last week when I was contacting the Trainer A I emailed to see if he had a session last week and I got no response so I sent a text on Friday around 3-4pm for a session next week I got no response until Wednesday.
    The Trainer B I booked on Sunday as I assumed the other was busy or maybe not interested in training me he got back to me the day I emailed and tried to fit me in.
  • mizzcasual
    Options
    Also I'm weaker on one side on like my shoulder or arms and he knew how to go about helping me try to balance that.
    So more to get him helping me with the strength /conditioning stuff and the other trainer for the HIIT/Cardio stuff.

Would that work?
  • mizzcasual
    Options
    What would be the best way to explain it to my current trainer? an see if it would work since I don't want to offend him.

Like strength and conditioning with the new trainer and HIIT with my current.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Depends.

Well said. I completely agree.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with it. If it Helps you get to your goal, then go for it!!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    After seeing Trainer B he seems very good and more technical focused on the correct form (not that my other one doesn't) this one just does it more and a more strength I used o other machines my other trainer doesn't use with me. He already knew my previous plan was from Trainer A I just told him what I'd be doing an he fixed up a plan which seemed very good just different from Trainer A. His ones are more HIIT an the other seemed more strength conditioning. I feel like I learned a lot from Trainer B thinking it might not be a bad idea to switch between the two an it helps me become more knowledgeable and as they both have their different strengths.
    You said it yourself. They both have different strengths, and you can learn different things from each. Limiting yourself to one teacher or way of doing things, especially before you have developed expertise about the exercises and how they work for you, seems like a mistake to me. I'd be honest with both instructors that you are working with both. And at least for now, I'd suggest one be primary in terms of a plan, so you're not being jerked back and forth. If one of them has a problem with the fact that you're also planning to work with other instructors and try different exercises, that trainer better give a good reason -- if the reason seems reasonable to you, and you want to pick that instructor over everyone else, go for it.
    I go to yoga classes with a variety of instructors -- some focus on form, some on flow, some on breathing, some on holding positions for extended periods of time, some "push" harder and some are more motivating. I learn something from each and can apply it to other classes. The instructors also take courses from each other. And I've gotten good comments -- like one instructor who noticed especially good form -- that I'd learned from another.
    Similarly in other areas of work and home, I hire different people for the things they do best. Even if there were one person who was best at everything, sometimes it's good to have a back-up. Like you found when trainer A wasn't available, and you wanted to keep on track.