Waek knees but I want to lift

Options
Any tips for someone with weak knees ?

I can't squat for the life of me without serious pain. Im working with a physio at the mo to strengthen them but I so want to get on the weights.

Any tips as to what to avoid/replace where to start etc

Replies

• PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees too :(
    I have found that strengthening the knees first helps alot.

Doing seated leg extensions are really good.
    Also when doing squats..use dumbbells and bring them up towards your knees when you go down. It'll help lessen the amount of weight going onto your knees.
    Keep a close eye on form bc sometimes improper form can cause those sharp pains in the joint.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Any tips for someone with weak knees ?

I can't squat for the life of me without serious pain. Im working with a physio at the mo to strengthen them but I so want to get on the weights.

Any tips as to what to avoid/replace where to start etc

I have the same problem...weak knees. However I can do squats now but forget lunges...they cause my knees to hurt for several days.

What I have done and has helped tremendously is twice a week I do exercises designed to strengthen the muscles around the knees. Good "exercises to strengthen week knees". You should find several sites. Just put together a routine.

One thing you might try...

When I first started doing squats (started out with just a few and kept adding) is to have something that you hold on to for stabilization. I used a heavy resistance band anchored at the top of a door. I didn't use it to pull up by but just as a way to stabilize. You could also use a chair or a counter top. I don't know why it helps...it just does.

I also found that doing sumo squats were easier on my knees than some of the other styles of squats.
  • CittiB
    CittiB Posts: 25
    Options
    I found using the sit-down cycle machine really helped with my knees, after a few months I was able to use it without knee supports and now I never wear supports to the gym.

As for squats, maybe ask the instructors at your gym how to start with them, you don't have to go to 90 degrees from day 1!
  • rustyroof
    rustyroof Posts: 76
    Options
    Thanks guys, some great tips there :0)
  • iw2198
    iw2198 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you have tried so far but you can always start with body squats.