Replies

• Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Almond milk - There is pus in cows milk and growth hormone
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk was not meant for human consumption, it was meant for baby calves. Almond milk is RGBH free of growth hormones. It has more calcium in it than milk does too.
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options

That's kinda scary. Are you talking raw cow's milk when you mention pus? or what we buy from the store shelf?

I do have concerns about the growth hormone.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk was not meant for human consumption, it was meant for baby calves. Almond milk is RGBH free of growth hormones. It has more calcium in it than milk does too.
    All mammals will consume milk, regardless of source, if presented with the opportunity.

Also, no food was "meant' for human consumption; that's not how dietary adaptation works.
  • laurenpatience
    Options
    For a long time, I drank Almond Milk.. that was when I wanted to lose some weight. It has fewer calories, but also lacks the nutrition and vitamins of cow's milk. Now I drink Cow's milk again, because I have lost weight I wanted to and am working on shaping my body's muscles.. therefore I need the vitamins, and am not so much worried about the fat content
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Trying to use science to justify a moral position isn't science.
    And the idea that there are antibiotics in milk is false. That's a big industry no-no and one of the few things commercial milk is tested against.

So, trying to do scientific studies to show that the way industrialized animal farming isn't good for human health or for environmental health isn't a good thing?

Wait.

What?

A person choosing not to eat factory farmed animals because of the effects of factory farming on the environment, and choosing so because they believe they have a moral obligation to do what they can to lessen their impact on the earth, can't use science to explain their choice?

So, you don't want a moral argument, and you don't want a scientific argument. Okay.

You've already come to your conclusion, and are trying to justify it by "research". An approach that considers industrial animal farming and evaluates both the positive and negative aspects is more believable than an agenda driven approach.

You've already lost people like me when, from your high horse, you think I don't want a moral or scientific stand - it's just that the science you are trying to provide isn't very good. A certain amount of industrial scaling is more efficient and less damaging than none, when addressing the need to provide quality agricultural goods at a reasonable price in world markets. What that level is, I'm not quite sure.

Using science to explain a moral choice is just noise. If one is so certain of the moral position, that starting presumption should be sufficient. Clearly, since you need to abuse science to do so means that the moral arguments are either insufficient or poorly communicated.

You actually weaken your case.

I haven't abused any science. I haven't posted anything about milk being dangerous for humans or whatever. Saying human milk is specifically designed for humans and other species' milk for other species isn't abusing science. It's just a fact. I also stated that some humans can consume other animals' milk.

Again, if people want to lump ALL veg*ns into one PETA-like group, and claim all our tactics are the same, well, can't get past that.

You brought up "science" as an argument to support a moral position.
    As to you "fact" - it isn't a fact but opinion. Milk, of human source or animal, isn't necessarily "designed" (by whom?) for a specific species. What are you basing this "fact" on, how would you like to show that milk isn't a proper product for human consumption, if not by science, but that fact remains that milk can be consumed not my some humans but by most humans. Lactose intolerance in infants is extremely rare (and also results in intolerance of human milk), as we age, it's onset varies - it's incorrect to assume that because we sometimes stop developing lactase it isn't a good nutrient resource for infants.

Personally, I'm not lumping any veg*ns into one group, nor do I think most people here do.

I do see a lot of stupid people arguing that there is pus in milk. Sigh.

The whole "not meant for human consumption" is a non-sequitur because it is consumed by humans on a massive scale since pre-historic times.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

That's kinda scary. Are you talking raw cow's milk when you mention pus? or what we buy from the store shelf?

I do have concerns about the growth hormone.

Neither is true.
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I come from a dairy farming family. I've seen my grandparents, great-grandparents, and older relatives rock and roll into their late 80s to mid-90s like a bunch of badasses. All of them drank milk and buttermilk daily throughout their lives. I don't know about the journal articles either way, but my experience tells me that dairy isn't going to hurt you (barring some genetic intolerance).

That being said, these people also exclusively ate homegrown veggies, wild berries, wild game (mostly deer, but also rabbit, some turtle, and squirrel). They ate very little processed food as it was too expensive. Farm work is hard, so of course they were active.

I'm not sure you could separate all of these variables, but high amounts of dairy sure didn't hurt them.
  • judylutz
    judylutz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love cow's milk, but now that I know what is in it I hardly touch the stuff. (Antibiotics, growth hormones, GMO grain fed cows.) Beware, even milk labeled organic can have issues, depending on the company. The processing of homogenization and pasteurization destroys a lot of the nutrients. Almond milk is much better for you. It's rich in vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. If you are looking for protein, you can get a lot of that in green leafy vegetables.
  • judylutz
    judylutz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have researched a lot - how can you say neither is true?
  • graham713
    graham713 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Calcium is also needed for our heart, muscles, and nerves to function properly and for blood to clot. The body needs vitamin D to absorb calcium. Without enough vitamin D, one can’t form enough of the hormone calcitriol. This in turn leads to insufficient calcium absorption from the diet. In this situation, the body must take calcium from its stores in the skeleton, which weakens existing bone and prevents the formation of strong, new bone.
    You can get vitamin D in three ways: through the skin, from the diet, and from supplements. Since cows milk is fortified with vitamin D it is a good choice to ensure adequate calcium absorption.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

And the idea that there are antibiotics in milk is false. That's a big industry no-no and one of the few things commercial milk is tested against.

So, trying to do scientific studies to show that the way industrialized animal farming isn't good for human health or for environmental health isn't a good thing?

Wait.

What?

A person choosing not to eat factory farmed animals because of the effects of factory farming on the environment, and choosing so because they believe they have a moral obligation to do what they can to lessen their impact on the earth, can't use science to explain their choice?

So, you don't want a moral argument, and you don't want a scientific argument. Okay.

You've already come to your conclusion, and are trying to justify it by "research". An approach that considers industrial animal farming and evaluates both the positive and negative aspects is more believable than an agenda driven approach.

You've already lost people like me when, from your high horse, you think I don't want a moral or scientific stand - it's just that the science you are trying to provide isn't very good. A certain amount of industrial scaling is more efficient and less damaging than none, when addressing the need to provide quality agricultural goods at a reasonable price in world markets. What that level is, I'm not quite sure.

Using science to explain a moral choice is just noise. If one is so certain of the moral position, that starting presumption should be sufficient. Clearly, since you need to abuse science to do so means that the moral arguments are either insufficient or poorly communicated.

I haven't abused any science. I haven't posted anything about milk being dangerous for humans or whatever. Saying human milk is specifically designed for humans and other species' milk for other species isn't abusing science. It's just a fact. I also stated that some humans can consume other animals' milk.

Again, if people want to lump ALL veg*ns into one PETA-like group, and claim all our tactics are the same, well, can't get past that.

As to you "fact" - it isn't a fact but opinion. Milk, of human source or animal, isn't necessarily "designed" (by whom?) for a specific species. What are you basing this "fact" on, how would you like to show that milk isn't a proper product for human consumption, if not by science, but that fact remains that milk can be consumed not my some humans but by most humans. Lactose intolerance in infants is extremely rare (and also results in intolerance of human milk), as we age, it's onset varies - it's incorrect to assume that because we sometimes stop developing lactase it isn't a good nutrient resource for infants.

Personally, I'm not lumping any veg*ns into one group, nor do I think most people here do.

The whole "not meant for human consumption" is a non-sequitur because it is consumed by humans on a massive scale since pre-historic times.

1. I didn't bring up science to support any moral position. I was asking why a person might think you can't use science to support your position, even if ultimately your position is based on a moral stance. (You can't use science to justify your moral position? How does that even make sense? Of course you can, as per my environmental decision example.)

2. I still never said milk isn't meant for human consumption, I said milk is specifically designed for babies of each species. Those babies are the ones who will get the most benefit from it. Can others consume it? Yes, as I said, people do. And prehistoric vs current consumption of milk probably varied wildly - so "on a massive scale" may not be at all accurate. But neither of us can prove that.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I have researched a lot - how can you say neither is true?

Post up your research.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Wait.

What?

1. I didn't bring up science to support any moral position. I was asking why a person might think you can't use science to support your position, even if ultimately your position is based on a moral stance. (You can't use science to justify your moral position? How does that even make sense? Of course you can, as per my environmental decision example.)

2. I still never said milk isn't meant for human consumption, I said milk is specifically designed for babies of each species. Those babies are the ones who will get the most benefit from it. Can others consume it? Yes, as I said, people do. And prehistoric vs current consumption of milk probably varied wildly - so "on a massive scale" may not be at all accurate. But neither of us can prove that.

http://www.pnas.org/content/100/4/1524.short
    Direct chemical evidence for widespread dairying in prehistoric Britain

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/08/080806-prehistoric-dairy.html

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/41492363?uid=3738016&uid=2460338175&uid=2460337935&uid=2&uid=4&uid=83&uid=63&sid=21103721262527

There are actually quite a few references of prehistoric widespread use of milk and milk products.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of almond milk, and it is nutritionally similar. You can make up for whatever it doesn't have with food or supplements.
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    On the issue of taste alone: Myself and my family found almond/soy/etc milk to be absolutely disgusting. We hated it. I greatly prefer our 2% cow's milk and will continue to drink it on a regular basis, daily basis.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    And almonds are baby almond trees, also not "meant" for human consumption. What a silly, pointless argument.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I prefer the taste of almond milk, and it is nutritionally similar. You can make up for whatever it doesn't have with food or supplements.

It is not nutritionally similar.
    Milk has 300% more protein, just as a start.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Moral high ground?

Wow! Rather judgmental?
  • graham713
    graham713 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if there's a benefit if you change from drinking cow's milk to almond milk.....?

Have you got your answer yet? Lol