Meal ideas under 200 calories?

Options
Carolfp
Carolfp Posts: 42 Member
Hi!!
I'm a full time nursing student and I'm finding it hard to allocate a time to be making meals since my shifts start too early :,( When I get home I tend to snooze and I usually end up eating whatever I have in my cupboard. I also... pretty much can't cook (fail)

so I wanted to ask if anyone has any easy-peasy meal ideas that i could make every day to stick with my 1200 calorie diet :D
ones that don't involve much intense cooking skillz
lol

:) thank you in advance and have a wonderful day!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Grill some chicken breast, then have some with a lot of veggies, or in salad with a bit of cheese and salsa for dressing. Or some shrimps with veggies. Or an egg white omelet with cheese and veggies.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    water!
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Frozen, pre-cooked shrimp. It thaws in about 3 minutes. If you don't feel like cooking, put it on top of a big ol' salad and use a modicum of dressing. (Not fat-free. A lot of the nutrients in lettuce and other salad greens are fat-soluble, so you need a little fat to get much benefit from the salad.)

I can't tell from your profile--are you very petite or are you trying to lose 2 lbs a week? You don't have a lot of weight to lose, and as a busy nursing student, you might be better off trying to lose weight more slowly and allotting yourself more calories.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I assume with being a nursing student, you're more than likely on your feet a lot of the time? If so, then 1200 is not enough to fuel your activity level whatsoever. I would up the calories. As for meal dilemma, make meals in bulk and measure out portions to bring with you. At your size though, 2 lbs a week is not sustainable, nor logical, nor healthy. Aim for .5 lbs a week instead. You'll feel a hell of a lot better.
  • marcksh
    marcksh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Simple but tasty - flaked canned tuna and chopped celery sandwich. Add and melt cheese for a few extra calories and a lot if extra yumminess :).

Add your choice for a side.
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I assume with being a nursing student, you're more than likely on your feet a lot of the time? If so, then 1200 is not enough to fuel your activity level whatsoever. I would up the calories. As for meal dilemma, make meals in bulk and measure out portions to bring with you. At your size though, 2 lbs a week is not sustainable, nor logical, nor healthy. Aim for .5 lbs a week instead. You'll feel a hell of a lot better.

I agree with this!
  • thavel
    thavel Posts: 4
    Options
    My wife and I have a great low cal breakfast we do almost daily. In a small bowl we put 1/4 cup of ground turkey sausage that we pre make and bag. (if you want recipe I can post) 3/4 cup of egg beaters substitute or egg whites substitute, table spoon of chopped hot peppers also pre made. Mix in bowl and 3 mins in micro.

3/4 cup egg substitute - 75 cal
    1/4 cup ground turkey sausage - 66
    peppers - 0 cal

Total calories - 141 (and 3/4 cup of egg is equivalent to 3 eggs so it is a good amount of food)
  • marcksh
    Options
    Deli smoked chicken breast 3 slices, tomato, lettuce, slice of marble cheese, on toasted light rye bread.
    Side - 3 garlic dill pickles 50% less salt
  • marcksh
    Options
    My wife and I have a great low cal breakfast we do almost daily. In a small bowl we put 1/4 cup of ground turkey sausage that we pre make and bag. (if you want recipe I can post) 3/4 cup of egg beaters substitute or egg whites substitute, table spoon of chopped hot peppers also pre made.

You make turkey sausage? Is this difficult?
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    - Bowl of Oatmeal (150 calories)
    - Banana (110 calories)
    - Pack of Lance Peanut Butter Crackers (190)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    One egg, one egg white, scramble in the microwave with spinach and mushrooms.

A bag of salad leaves and a small can of tuna.

Vegetable soup.
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Soup!
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    Half a turkey sandwich: wheat bread, turkey breast, jack cheese, avocado, sprouts, lettuce and tomato. No mayo. Mustard is okay though.

Make a whole sandwich, cut it in half. Eat one half one day for lunch and the other half the following day.
  • thavel
    thavel Posts: 4
    Options
    Its ground turkey sausage, so it is in crumble form, it's not hard at all, we make up about 5 lbs of it put in baggies and freeze it. use it in all kids of stuff, about anything you would put ground beef in you can substitute this for.

We use 97% lean packages that you can get at Sam's in 2.5 lb packages. This recipe is for 2.5#

Mix 2.5# of ground turkey with:

3/4 tsp ginger
    1.5 tsp salt
    1 tsp rubbed sage
    1 tsp fennel
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    1.5 tsp black pepper.

Brown as you would hamburger.

You can also make into patties and fry like breakfast sausage.

We use in soup, eggs, spaghetti, possibilities are endless!

We figured using a diet scale that a 1/4 cup is about 65-75 calories.

Enjoy!
  • omgtry
    omgtry Posts: 114
    Options
    this is 210 calories but a fuller fr your tummy confort food....lol o god just ask me ......lol

3 med potatoes
    1/4 cup of butter or marg
    1/4 cup of milk
    1/4 tsps of salt
    pinch of pepper
    cook potatoes in 2 quart sauce pan bring to a boil take cover off simmer for 15 mins or till done drain n mash stitr in remaining ingretdents enjoy with chicken.....fish.......or a slice of pork hope this helps ......jim
  • nakedbreakfast
    nakedbreakfast Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Vegan Low-Fat Blueberry Microwave Muffin!

In a mug or ramekin, mix together: 1 tbsp nondairy milk (I use unsweetened almond - add a tiny bit more if your batter seems too thick) + 1/4 tsp vanilla or lemon extract (or both or 1 tsp lemon juice or a pinch of zest) + 1 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce + 1 tbsp raw agave nectar (or pure maple syrup or brown rice syrup) + 3 tbsp all-purpose whole wheat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour) + 1/4 tsp baking powder + healthy pinch of salt + healthy pinch of cinnamon.

Fold in about 2 tbsp of fresh or frozen blueberries. Microwave 1-2 minutes, until the muffin starts to separate from the sides of the mug or ramekin. Enjoy with coffee or hot tea :] 1 muffin = about 158 calories, depending on your specific ingredients.
  • dwm2112
    dwm2112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian 3-bean chili...I use a recipe from a Cooking Light cookbook, but you can probably find one online or from a friend. The recipe I use clocks in at 198 calories per serving, including a little jack cheese and a dollop of low-fat sour cream as toppings. And you don't really cook it...just throw everything in a 6 qt. slow cooker on low, and 8 hours later...presto!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    this is 210 calories but a fuller fr your tummy confort food....lol o god just ask me ......lol

3 med potatoes
    1/4 cup of butter or marg
    1/4 cup of milk
    1/4 tsps of salt
    pinch of pepper
    cook potatoes in 2 quart sauce pan bring to a boil take cover off simmer for 15 mins or till done drain n mash stitr in remaining ingretdents enjoy with chicken.....fish.......or a slice of pork hope this helps ......jim

Unless this is 4 portions, this is nowhere close to 200 calories, sorry.The butter alone is close to 200.
  • nefer795
    nefer795 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1897719/veggie-breakfast-bakes
    We often have this for dinner, though we double the spinach and garlic in the recipe. So simple and tastes fab. I'm thinking about adding some veggie bacon as well, as this gives me a full plate of food but not always the calories I need.