healthy, easy, low fat lunch ideas

Options
I need help with healthy, low fat/cal lunch ideas. I tend to eat the same thing for breakfast everyday, which I am okay with, but what to eat for lunch is a daily struggle. Looking to keep it somewhat simple and under 400 calories. I like to try a variety of new foods but affordable foods!! Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you!!

Replies

• kpchefai
    kpchefai Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Chicken lettuce wraps! Low fat and low cal but fills you up quick. I usually do diced chicken, bell peppers, carrots and water chestnuts and then I just buy the lettuce wrap sauce from the international foods aisle. Makes a ton and lasts for a few days. Wrap it up in leaves of Bibb lettuce. Add a little rice if you can afford the calories/want a little more substance or carbs.
  • xraychick84
    Options
    Thank you for the great suggestion!! I love the idea of having leftovers for the next day!!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I always have container of homeade soup--either vegetables or beans for a lot of fiber. I start with that. Then I add one of the following:
    -When I make dinner, I try to set aside a lunch-sized portion for the next day--like half size.
    -A half or whole sandwich, depending on how light my soup is.
    -a salad with plenty of protein
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have homemade vegetable soup most days for lunch. I get a lot of soup for only about 80 calories, and it's full of nutrients and quite filling. I then usually have a tub of raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, grapes and pineapple which usually comes out at about 50-60 calories. For my break at work, which is about two hours before lunch, I have string cheese & a pot of sugar-free jelly/jello.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I usually make a big mixed salad (lettuce, red cabbage, bell pepper, radish, tomato, cucumber) and put either canned tuna (water packed), canned salmon, or lean ham with a homemade oil and vinegar dressing. Right around 400 calories or less, lots of protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. I put it in a plastic container and take it to work in a little cooler when I'm working. Very filling, and not much work. You could wash the veggies in advance so that all you have to do is put it together when you're ready to eat or pack it for lunch.
  • katoftheyear
    Options
    I have the same problem! Lunch ideas are my weak point., so this is more of a bump. lol But here are some things that work for me:

I make a tofu-based caesar salad dressing (like a billion recipes for this online) and assemble a salad with romaine, cucumber, croutons (homemade toasted bread in the oven with a little oil, salt, and liquid smoke for the bacon-y flavour) and whatever else you like. This makes up a protein-bumped up salad and you can even add a handful of chickpeas to the mix for a heartier salad. You can pair this with something else like a half sandwich but I find a big caesar salad is really filling for me.

Also, you can add sliced hard-boiled eggs to any salad for a big boost. I do this a lot.

I have also done peanut butter sandwich + carrots and hummus -- this kept me full for the day.

Good luck!
  • traceleann
    traceleann Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I made this last night for supper and had left-overs for lunch today. Super good!

Chicken Bacon Ranch Wrap
    3oz grilled chicken cut into bits or strips
    2 slices turkey bacon
    1T light ranch dressing
    handful spinach
    tomatoes
    1 whole wheat tortilla
    315 calories

Eat a piece of fruit with it and it's a very filling meal
  • xraychick84
    Options
    I so appreciate everyone's suggestions and ideas, I love the support system myfitnesspal members offer/give!! Weight loss and maintaining is such a hard thing to do but having myfitnesspal and all the members have been helping tremendously...thank you all!!
  • mariskaS86
    Options
    I make a salsa/dip with piquant peppers, feta, avocado and trim dressing which I then eat with 2 slices of toasted bread. Or another favorite is a 2-egg-omelet with some veggies/feta/leftover proteins. And when I crave something sweeter I cut up a small muffin, with some fresh fruit and a 1/4 cup of fat free custard. It really helps with the sweet cravings also.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelet with spinach, tomatoes, mozzarella, prosciutto
    Fritatta
    Fried rice (brown rice with a lot of veggies, shrimp or chicken, one egg, bit of soy sauce, I don't use any oil)
    Bagel thin with smoked salmon and light cream cheese
    Any kind of sandwich really... just use light cheese, lean meat, lettuce and tomatoes
    Any kind of lean meat or fish with veggies (and rice, egg noodles, potatoes if you want)
    Salads
    - beets, smoked salmon, goat cheese, and greens with olive oil, wine vinegar, and dijon mustard dressing
    - grilled chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, light shredded cheddar, honey mustard dressing
    - steak, gorgonzola, tomatoes, olive oil, wine vinegar and dijon mustard dressing
    Taco salad (ground lean meat with Mexican spices, light cheddar, a lot of salsa, avocado, can add rice and beans too)
    Grilled chicken with peppers, pineapples, and rice in sweet and sour sauce
    I can have a hamburger for less than 400 calories too... just go light on toppings and use a 95% lean burger (or turkey burger)

Etc etc.. My lunches/breakfast are often around 400 calories (well, often more, but that's including dessert).
  • BriTyler3
    BriTyler3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Veggie pita wrap

-cooked carrots
    -cooked asparagus
    -cooked onions
    - low fat pita bread
    -low fat mozzarella cheese

And your done , it's delicious! I just finished eating it actually :tongue:
  • bacon_bacon_bacon
    bacon_bacon_bacon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Something simple I bring is a turkey wrap. Take a 6 inch flour tortilla and spread a little bit of mustard (or mayo) and hot salsa on it. About 2 tbsp of each. Then 2 oz of deli sliced turkey breast (I love sun dried tomato turkey if you can find it) sprinkled with some green pepper, onion, and tomato. Top it off with about 1/8 cup of shredded cheese. Filling and only about 268 calories. Just wrap it up with some cling wrap and you're good to go!
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My lunch normally boils down to:

-Anything dipped in humus
    -Peach/banana slices topped with vanilla yogurt with granola on top
    -Chicken broth with goldfish crackers
    -A half-sandwich
    -Skyline (I AM WEAK)
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Lite Tuna Salad - use mustard instead of mayonnaise, add celery and pickles for crunch and eat with lite crackers or carrots.

I also struggle with lunch so most of the time I just put a bunch of healthy snacks together. Salad with green vegetables, carrots dipped in hummus, a piece of string cheese and an apple with peanut butter is my planned lunch tomorrow.
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I make the Weight Watchers Zero Point Cabbage soup, the entire recipe is 250 calories and it's enough for four days--65 calories per serving. I also am a fan of anything I can put in a 60 calorie sun-dried tomato wrap. I typically put in a protein of some sort and then load it with veggies. My lunches are almost always less than 250 calories and I'm stuffed until dinner.