Am I fat or over weight?

Options
I am 19, i weigh 205.6 and im 5'10". Am i "fat" or "overweight" how do you determine that kind of stuff?

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Aren't they pretty much the same thing?
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    does your belly stick out and have skin rolls? do you have fat on your sides?
  • jcalicott
    jcalicott Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I guess they are, some people dont really use the term fat, they find it degrading, overweight is more of a nice way to say it
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Well you can go to Apps here and click on BMI. Put your info in to see what you get.
  • jcalicott
    Options
    Little belly, not really rolls and yeah on the sides :(
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Well at 5'10 and 200 i was over weight probably by 20 pounds. if you are that height you can compare unless you have a lot of muscle too.
  • jcalicott
    Options
    Well you can go to Apps here and click on BMI. Put your info in to see what you get.

Everyone always says those are really accurate cause they dont count in muscle?
  • Achrya
    Options
    I guess they are, some people dont really use the term fat, they find it degrading, overweight is more of a nice way to say it

Well. Doesn't much matter what terms other people want to use, does it? It's up to you.

So you tell me, are you fat or overweight
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a standardized definition for "fat".

Maybe you're thinking of the BMI (body mass index) scale, which classifies people as underweight, normal weight, overweight, or obese based on their height and weight. You can google "BMI calculator" to find out your BMI. Keep in mind that BMI does not take into account your body fat percentage.

:smile:
  • jcalicott
    Options
    I personally after reading stuff online and now on here I'd say that I'm fat and overweight, but that will change
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    At that weight/height you want to check your BF % that will tell you if you are *fat*. You can weigh more than what the BMI charts tell you and not be fat. The only true measure will be if you have a high BF %.
  • the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Generally, you are considered overweight if your body mass index (BMI) is above 25. According to my favourite calculator (http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmi/), your BMI is 29.5, which is in the overweight category. Others prefer to categorize themselves by body fat percentage (BFP) instead, since BMI doesn't take into account muscle mass, and for that you'd have to take some measurements at the very least. A healthy BFP for a guy your age is 8-19%. I use the calculator here: http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/mbf
  • Achrya
    Options
    I personally after reading stuff online and now on here I'd say that I'm fat and overweight, but that will change

And here we have the only part that actually matters. :wink: The other stuff, the terms and chatter, is just noise but that part is the key
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Fat is a slang. Overweight is the more appropriate use. It's the same thing. And yes for your height you are overweight, and if you add up more you're close to being obese.
  • Noc6285
    Noc6285 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Height and weight do not matter, it's your body fat percentage. How much lean body mass compared to adipose tissue.
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Many years ago in the UK, a TV add asked if you could pinch an inch. With your forefinger and thumb pinch your body in various places and if the amount of flesh between is more than an inch you have too much body fat. A simple guide, but relatively accurate. The BMI charts are not that accurate as you have said, The Rock will be overweight on those charts due to a high muscle ratio, so the term overweight can be misleading. At 19 years of age it should be easy to get a few pounds of fat off. Get yourself fit and stay that way, then in years to come you will be better for it.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Fat is a slang. Overweight is the more appropriate use. It's the same thing. And yes for your height you are overweight, and if you add up more you're close to being obese.

They are not the same thing.
  • lowfyr
    lowfyr Posts: 9
    Options
    Your BMI is telling me you're overweight, actually you just need 4 kg more to be considered having adipositas lol..

Anyways, theres hope my friend. Forget to mesure your BF right now, its be past 40% anyways ( just jk, but it doesnt matter..). I guess you havent worked out yet? So there wont be any muscles on your body anways to make up any difference.. Just make sure you doing some kind of daily sports routine from now on, because you have to burn couple millions of calories to get back to your normal BMI
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    Your bmi says overweight but the bmi also counts as muscle mass as fat, so if you were a bodybuilder and skinny it would say you are overweight even if you arn't. I don't believe in "fat" and "skinny" it's all how you view yourself. You don't look overweight to me.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think 'overweight' and 'obese' are more medical categories (taken from BBC website):

mhaw0l.gif

I personally use fat as a descriptive word - I have curly hair, hazel eyes and am fat. The word doesn't bother me, it's a valid descriptor of what I physically look like. But medical professionals would describe me as 'overweight' in my notes, rather than fat.