gaining (maintaining) muscles on a cut?

Options
not sure me gaining muscle while trying to lose weight is a good thing or not I eat the same and exercise the same but every time I see the number go up my first thought is I gained weight not muscle. Some people just drop weight then bulk to gain muscle, I might try that depending on what people think. 189 to 192 in two weeks can be a little discouraging especially when it was first time being 189 in about seven years. what do you think? Do you try to gain muscles(maintain) on a cut or do you wait till after? I have been taking creatine.

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you've just started taking creatine recently, I believe your weight will go up due to water retention - as this is what it does, basically.

Whether you're gaining muscle (and fat) or losing fat (and maybe some muscle) should be dictated by calories in vs calories out.

Using a lean gains style approach, I found my strength still increasing for the first few weeks, despite having being consistently doing weights for a while before that - hit a higher 5rm in most lifts than I'd had while losing a fair bit.

However, my lifts have since gone down. If I'd been eating more, I suspect they'd have gone down less, but I'm impatient and stuck to around what I was doing which results in a 1.5-2lb/week loss.

I would still be doing everything needed to gain muscle - weights and so on. But eating for a cut - so 1g protein/lb lean body weight (more than needed on a bulk) and at an appropriate calorie deficit.

By doing the weights, and having plenty of protein while frustrating not seeing your lifts go up, it does at least help keep as much as the muscle that you have as possible.
  • NowIFeelYa
    NowIFeelYa Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanx for the reply man
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    what do you think? Do you try to gain muscles(maintain) on a cut or do you wait till after? I have been taking creatine.

you gain strength on a cut... not muscle... the end of the cut I usually see my lifts level off or fall a bit.

sounds like you're concerned with body image... lean out to ~%10... when ya see your abs your close. im at ~12% in my profile.

ETA: I was 192 5'10" 29yo.... probably pretty similar stats... i think your quote of "come on 170" is about spot on... dont rush it or it'll be more like 165 and way less muscular... ya gotta limit the lean losses to a minimum
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Agree with the idea that creatine will cause you to initially gain weight. You can build strength with a caloric deficit. More importantly, even if you are lifting at a caloric deficit, if you are lifting, you are less likely to lose muscle mass as you lose weight.
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you want to maintain muscle on a cut you have to:
    1. Lift weights - if you're not lifting your body will assume you don't need your muscle and use it as fuel.
    2. Use BCAA - this is important for keeping your muscle. It helps recover and prevents catabolism.
    Tip: don't use creatine unless you're bulking. It will increase water retention and will not give you the results you seek in a cut.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    2. Use BCAA - this is important for keeping your muscle. It helps recover and prevents catabolism.
    Tip: don't use creatine unless you're bulking. It will increase water retention and will not give you the results you seek in a cut.
    Will taking BCAA supplements add anything if you're getting plenty of protein already?
    Unbiased advice I've seen so far has only suggested it if you're training in a fasted state and want to get just the essentials in without many calories.

As far as the creatine goes, will it not still offer a benefit to building strength and possibly to keeping muscle by allowing you to lift more? Appreciated it will likely set you back as far as the scales go, however.
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yes BCAA increase protein synthesis and also increase cell capacity. They will utilize the protein from the whole foods you eat. They are extremely important during bulking and cutting.
    About the creatine, yes you will be stronger but as far as the amount of muscle you keep with or without creatine will be negligible. If your goal is to actually look cut and dry the water retention can easily alter that but keep in mind you're not gonna look like a water balloon either lol. Bottom line is you're going to lose some muscle regardless of what you do. You can minimize this with a good diet and routine. I don't take many supplements but I do believe the benefits of BCAA and include them in my diet. Don't fall into the trap these supplement corporations attempt to cram down your throat.