Any Vegans out there???

I became a vegan in August to obtain better health. I have lost 24 pounds strictly with that lifestyle. I have now began exercising and looking for meal ideas. I sometimes feel very shaky after workouts. I am struggling with figuring out the right balance of pre and post workout meals. Any vegan suggestions would be fantastic.

Replies

• CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Not a vegan but it looks like there are some active vegan groups - Happy Herbivores looks to be fairly active and they might have some ideas for you.
  • MEB82209
    MEB82209 Posts: 4
    I'm knew to this so my apologies if it's common sense ha ha, but where would I find that group?
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups

type in name of what you seek :flowerforyou:
  • alanabanana86
    alanabanana86 Posts: 21 Member
    Heya, I'm largely vegan- no dairy or eggs in the house or in my homemade cooking, but I do munch the occasional milk chocolate bar.

I eat Large flat mushrooms with tomatoes, spinach and frylight it with garlic, chill powder, paprika etc to give it a kick if you want to try that? Mushroom is a great source of protein and barely makes a dent in calories- but then so is a banana if you need something a little more calorie dense :)
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    I'm a vegetarian but I do have some vegan friendly suggestions. It sounds like your body needs more fuel, calories/protein. Also be mindful of staying hydrated when exercising. If you're exercise routine takes you past 2 hours consider drinking a beverage with electrolyte replacement.
    Banana and peanut butter (I prefer almond butter myself) It's an easy portable snack.
    There are several plant based protein powders you can add to shakes and or drinks.
    Roasted chick peas are tasty, portable, and if salted will help replace lost salt from sweating.
    There are many energy and protein bars for vegans but read the labels. You can easily go over your calories on these tasty little bars if you're not careful.
    Better yet Google recipes for protein or energy bars., there's hundreds of them.
    Another place to get advice is to find a local store that caters to the vegan/vegetarian/raw community. I've found them to be an excellent resource.
    Good luck :happy: