IIFYM Help. What do you eat?

Options
I know, I know. The whole point of IIFYM is that it is flexible and you can pretty much eat whatever as long as it fits. I'm struggling with this. When I first began my journey I ONLY counted calories and ate mostly junk. I lost 20 pounds and now have gained a little every week for the last four weeks. I went to iifym.com and figured out all of my numbers. I adjusted the calories a bit (went a tad lower) and my percentages are 25/35/40. This breaks down to 106/149/76 (carbs/protein/fat). Does this seem right? I weigh 247 and am 5 feet 10.

I have mostly been eating eggs and tuna every day, but this is getting a little old. How do I get so much protein?! I have also gone over every day on my fat. It is hard to stay under (and I will NOT eat tuna without mayo.).

My diary is open and I would love feedback. I would also ask anyone who is having success with iifym to let me know if they have an open diary so I can see what types of food you are eating.

Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• acloern1985
    acloern1985 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So I haven't quite perfected it yet, as my diary shows but my goal is 30/35/35 (carbs/fat/protein). Unfortunately, I stick to eating nearly the same thing daily M-F since I'm scared to switch it up and not hit my goals. In the past 3-4 weeks I've dropped quite a few pounds that I was unable to before following this method.

Mornings: Egg whites, one egg, cheese. Some veggies in the eggs. Shake with protein powder, fruits, almond milk.

Snack: Yogurt w/ nuts

Lunch: Salad with around 8oz baked chicken breast.

Dinner: Lots of protein such as salmon, pork (if I need some fats), occasionally veggie burgers if I have the carbs because they are tasty. More chicken. Sweet potatoes with butter. Broccoli with butter. Green beans.

If I have room some days I will eat a piece of bread and savor it.
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I'm not trying to lose weight though, just recomping - seems to be working fine!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I just switched to 45% carb/30% fat/ 25% protein.
    That's super easy for me.
    Up until last week, for the past year or so, I was doing 40% carb/ 30% fat/ 30% protein.
    I don't know why I switched it, mostly because 30% protein was a struggle to meet, and since I'm not a body-building I figured I could be OK with a bit less. Now with the switch, it's a piece of cake.

My diary is open, you are more than welcome to look as far back as you want.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    chicken, salmon, halibut, cod, shrimp, beef, cottage cheese, venison, bison, turkey, pork....

Why only tuna and eggs??? The grocery store has way more items!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    My diet consists mostly of the following :

Duck eggs, tuna steak, salmon, cod, vegetarian sausages(occasionally), Quark, goat's cheese, nuts, apples, bananas, vegetables(usually stringless beans, carrots, broccoli, plum tomatoes, sugarsnap peas, butternut squash, asparagus), baked sweet potatoes, new potatoes, basmati rice, oatmeal with honey, pulses, hummous and avocado. That gets me plenty of protein, along with a lot of other nutrients.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Here is my ratios that I use from IIFYM.

IIFYM_zps6c5d3090.jpg
  • Dalker
    Dalker Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I try have protein at every meal and have plenty of options for protein snacks to top up on. Things like greek yoghurt, protein ice cream, protein powder, meat/cheese. Milk (in the form of lattes or hot choc for me) helps. Protein shakes are an option but I can no longer stomach them unless blended with plenty of fruit so I'm forever trying to devise ways of sneaking protein powder into my diet.
  • katemckenna5
    katemckenna5 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump for more open diaries. :)
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I eat a lot
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Everything.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Everything.

ZPWb7iM.gif

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    my diary is open as well..

I eat lots of eggs, egg whites, cheese, seafood, fish, chicken, pork, greek yogurt, skim milk, canadian bacon, ham.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Here are some ideas for adding healthy calories:

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad)
    Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt)
    Fruit,
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples)
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon
    Add Chia seeds to salads or yogurt
    Olive oil
    Smoothies
    Granola/sports nutrition bars
    Whole grains or whole grain products (like brown rice, Quinoa, oatmeal)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I don't *really* follow IIFYM, however.

What I do is
    1) make sure I hit my protein minimum (20%)
    2) make sure I hit my fat minimum (20%)
    3) make sure I get enough potassium and iron and eat a varied, balanced diet (I have some guidelines for this)
    4) eat whatever else I want to hit my calorie goal
    5) be active every day (run three days, lift three days, do mobility work three days)

My diary is open.
  • gemheath2010
    gemheath2010 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm from the uk and my diary is open if you want to have a look :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    First of all, whether your macros are right or not is completely a personal thing. The IIFYM website is basically just cashing in on the concept...it has really nothing to do with the original intent of IIFYM. IIFYM was just a stock answer provided by a guy named Erik Stevens on bodybuilding.com when people would ask things like, "can I eat oatmeal...or is it going to interfere with my gainz brah?"...answer...IIFYM.

IIFYM basically comes out of the fitness/athletics world, not so much dieting...your "right" macros would be ones that optimize your performance for whatever it is you are doing. A bodybuilder (where this was coined) would put a premium on protein for building muscles with the second point of emphasis likely to be carbs to keep glycogen stores full and provide the body with easy burning fuel to maximize protein synthesis. Conversely, the "right" macros for an endurance athlete would be carb heavy. In either scenario, fat is important to overall body function, but not directly important to athletic performance.

IIFYM has essentially been bastardized across the internet to mean that you can basically shovel whatever you want into your face so long as it fits your macros. At conception, it was generally assumed that one would be eating a diet that consisted largely of nutrient dense whole foods providing for optimal nutrition and thus optimal performance...but say, someone was on a bulk and eating 2500 calories of awesome nutrition...a little ice cream to get them to 3,000 calories to bulk wouldn't be a big deal. You aren't going to find too many athletes at any level just eating **** because it fits their macros...generally nutrition is pretty important to them, as it is ultimately very important to performance.

I would suggest eating a diet that is comprised largely of whole foods...veggies, fruit, eggs, meat, poultry, fish, whole grains, etc...and enjoy some ice cream from time to time...and beer...always beer. If you are dieting I'd recommend getting at least 0.9 - 1 gram of protein per Lb of LBM to help you hold onto muscle mass...if you're in maintenance, your protein intake would be largely dependent on your activity...the more active you are and the more vigorous that activity, the more protein you need. Fat should be in the neighborhood of 0.35 grams per Lb of body weight...if you're getting 0.3 - 0.4 grams per Lb of body weight, you're doing good. I don't necessarily try to hit mine dead on or anything...so long as I am in an acceptable range of protein and fat and have adequate carbs to fuel my workouts I'm good...I don't fuss if I'm not bang on 1 gram per Lb of LBM or anything like that...I just focus on proper nutrition.

ETA: for the average end user, having a reasonably balanced macro ratio and getting your nutrition with your food is what you should be striving for...hitting dead on certain macros really is only going to be marginally beneficial to the well conditioned athlete. As long as you have pretty good balance in your diet, you should be ok...
  • likitisplit
    Options
    If you are dieting I'd recommend getting at least 0.9 - 1 gram of protein per Lb of LBM to help you hold onto muscle mass...if you're in maintenance, your protein intake would be largely dependent on your activity...the more active you are and the more vigorous that activity, the more protein you need. Fat should be in the neighborhood of 0.35 grams per Lb of body weight...if you're getting 0.3 - 0.4 grams per Lb of body weight, you're doing good. I don't necessarily try to hit mine dead on or anything...so long as I am in an acceptable range of protein and fat and have adequate carbs to fuel my workouts I'm good...I don't fuss if I'm not bang on 1 gram per Lb of LBM or anything like that...I just focus on proper nutrition.

Totally agree with everything stated here.

Just to be clear (because I always forget it) LBM means LEAN body weight.

ETA: you can hit McDonalds 3X a day if you are choosing items that are part of a varied, balanced diet :wink:
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, and I am starting to get the hang of it!