Not sure where to post this...but I have a confession!!

Options
I don't know if I'm the only one, but sometimes, when I need motivation (more often than not) I will post my exercises BEFORE I actually do them! By doing this, for some reason, makes me feel accountable and I get my butt in motion. HA!

Anyone else do the same, or am I the strange one?:huh:

Replies

• KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    I don't do it because I wait to see what my hrm says I burn but it makes total sense to me. Its the same as logging food for the day first thing in the morning (or before you eat the food).
  • Natalie0506
    Options
    Sounds pretty normal to me! Accountability is good!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I don't just do this with exercise. I plan my whole day ahead of time, including food. I've already put in my exercise and all of my food for the day today. That's how I always hit my numbers dead on.
  • JJGraves
    Options
    Wow. What a great idea. Then you don't have the stress all day long of wondering whether what you choose to eat will allow you to make it! I am stealing that.
  • pursuinghappiness
    Options
    Good to know. I seriously would feel guilty the first few times I did this, but then I realized it actually helped me!

Glad to know I'm not alone :bigsmile:
  • ironmule2042
    Options
    I've done this a few times as well. It depends on the day. :-)
  • SkierElle
    Options
    I try to do that sometimes but then later in the day, in addition to my morning workout, sometimes I'll go exercise on a whim because I feel like it. Or my dinner plans change. But I think it's beneficial to log in the morning then change it if needed =)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    yes, i've definitely done this when i felt unmotivated to do anything. I type it in, see the burn i'll achieve and then force myself to do it, lol. it works for me on those days where i just cant get going.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I post my exercises and fill out my food diary at 8am every morning so I have a game plan for the day. It helps me stay on track. I actually believe that if you see the numbers there for the day, you are more likely to think "oh, i only have 100 calories left for the day", whereas if you fill as you go, you don't sometimes realize how everything is adding up.
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    I would say the only reason you should feel guilty about it, is if you post, but then don't complete the exercise! ;P But as long as you're following through and doing what you post, then I see nothing wrong with it. Doing what motivates you is a great thing!
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I was logging the exercise ahead of time but I found that with a 4 month old baby, I can't really predict whether or not I will get the workout in...I'm totally at his mercy when it comes to working out lol. BUT, I do log all of my food ahead of time...planning keeps me on track. So, I eat as if I'm not going to get in a workout all day and on the days that I actually do get a workout in, I have some "fun" calories and I go indulge in something in that evening. :wink:
  • EtoileCG1
    Options
    I do that with my food and water... for some reason I feel more of the need to keep with it if I put it in before I actually eat/drink. especially my water. for some reason it helps if I add the water before I drink it. its weird but somehow it makes since in my head haha
  • knottylibrarian
    Options
    That sounds good. I post what I'm going to eat in advance sometimes so I know not to go over...or I know if I can go over :-)
  • ZebraGlee78
    ZebraGlee78 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do that with my food that I have every day (it's December, I can't live without my hot chocolate (fat free of course!).
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't do this but it sounds like a great idea!!!

One thing I plan to do is make up a chart with my workout schedule for each day and for each day I do my workout I get a sticker (I know, sounds childish, but i feel it'll help) and also tape/magnet that chart to the refrigerator so that I and anyone else who touches my refrigerator can see if I have or have not done it! :) (obviously, results will show, but... I want a visual accountability before the results show)
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I try to post food for the entire day in the am. I seem to do much better- it's like a great planning tool. I do the same with exercise. Then if something changes, I just delete it or change it. No biggie. Either way, I'm honest. Posting in advance motivates me and helps me hit my calorie targets more easily.
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    i did this while i was doing the 30 day shred. i'd post it bc i knew my mfpals would say "good job!" and then i'd be guilted into getting it done :)
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I don't because sometimes (see yesterday) I have to stay longer at the gym to make up for what I ate.
  • tarapin
    tarapin Posts: 169
    Options
    SO funny to read this because I've done this for the first time this week just for that very reason and it's worked because I've been holding myself super accountable since I started this in July and don't want to lie to myself or my new MFP family :bigsmile:
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I don't log food or exercises but I like the idea of staying accountable to yourself. I think planning is helpful so I recently planned out my meals and groceries for the week from Sunday to Friday. Saturday is a free choice treat day or maybe the treat day will be another day, doesn't mean I'm going to gorge on everything in sight just means that I may have a meal or snack that day that doesn't fit with my regular schedule.

I think another good way to stay accountable would be sharing your plans with a workout buddy or workout buddies or something.