How's my metabolism? Underweight on 1200~ calories

Options
I'd like to say, basically, I never stopped my diet.

I think some days I have more than just 1200 calories. I work out quite often, but not as intensely. I do 30 minutes on a stationary bike several times a week. All low cal, but I do have 3 meals and snacks a day.
I'm 5'2" and around 90 pounds. I've slowly lost 5-6 pounds since Christmas. Haven't gone out much, like out to eat and thus very few indulgences so strictly around 1200-1300, really just depends.

I've gone back and forth (mental) trying to increase, and recently I've increased my calories. Sorry for TMI but thankfully never got any constipation, but have been making more bowel movements- several times a week now. So that is sort of confirmation for myself that things are working. No weight gain at all yet and I ate big meals Friday and Saturday.

The thing that hinders my progress is that I am afraid to gain a bunch of weight uncontrollably, worried about having messed with my metabolism... 1200 calories is what many women seem to have for diet plans. I just never really stopped dieting, other than briefly.

Do you think my metabolism is alright? I am going out for a home cooked meal with family tonight and plan to eat sensibly but more than I have been. I am introducing more things. I just want to take it slow.

I'm not going to lie, I really just want to hear that it sounds like my metabolism is ok... But only if you think so. Something about that really has made it hard for me to change my predicament. Keep planning to try but lately I truly have. It's just not been very long, only super slowly the past couple weeks and now this weekend in particular.

Replies

• Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Why dont you try upping your calories by a few hundred and see if you remain close to the same weight for two weeks? Easy way to check.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure no one on MFP can answer that question. It sounds like you might need to take a break from dieting and just live. It also sounds like a good time to see your doctor and have a conversation about your health goals. The weight range for a 5'2" female is between 109 and 136. You are well below that. See your doctor.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 2" and when I was young I was 90, sometimes a little under or a little over. There was nothing wrong with my metabolism and 90 pounds was fine for my frame. I was healthy and had a fine energy level. If you have questions, see a doctor. BTW, as you age, your metabolism will slow down so enjoy it while it lasts.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    First I want to say that it might be good if you have the opportunity to go see a dietitian or your doctor, they will be able to help you more than us.

But to answer your question, if you work at a steady pace, your metabolism should be okay. Its when you change things very drastically that you might see changes. It is unlikely that you will gain a lot of weight "uncontrollably" if you are using MFP you can gain weight at any pace you'd like.

You may want to try checking out what your BMR is. Even if you work your way up to it. Right now you're eating at a deficit, so you will continue to lose weight. Maybe at least try and maintain your weight for a bit, and then slowly you can add some more calories as you feel comfortable. Just take it slow and work at your own pace, but do try and increase your calories, its just as important for you to be at a healthy weight as it is for people like us who need to lose weight.

But like I said, I would talk to a professional, because they would know better - I mean that in the nicest way possible. Good luck :)
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    Pretty sure no one on MFP can answer that question. It sounds like you might need to take a break from dieting and just live. It also sounds like a good time to see your doctor and have a conversation about your health goals. The weight range for a 5'2" female is between 109 and 136. You are well below that. See your doctor.

Those are guidelines. They don't apply to everyone. I'm 5'2" and 109 for me is uncomfortably high.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I wish I could help, but I'm not qualified to answer this question. Personally, I would take a break from counting and try to eat normally and see what happens after a few weeks. But again, I'm not sure and think a doctor could probably answer this question better. Good luck! :-)
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Nooooo, if she needed a doctor her weight would be below 94. I have been between 94 and 107 all my life and at 5'2 I've always been healthy.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    If I were in your position, I'd look at what macronutrients and vitamins I was getting. I'd also look at my energy levels and sleep patterns.

When I'm eating 1400-1800 calories a day and exercising regularly, I only need about 6-7 hours a sleep a night and I wake up feeling energized and rested. When I'm working out, I have plenty of energy and I feel good after workouts - not tired or fatigued.

If I go down to 1200 calories, I feel tired, fatigued, like I need more than 8 hours of sleep, and lethargic. This is because I'm not reaching basic macronutrient requirements and vitamin requirements for my body. I am 5'3.5" if that matters. I'd take others' suggestions and see a doctor or nutritionist and show them your food diary, and ask them if you are reaching the requirements for your health NOT of calories but of nutrients and vitamins.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You work hard on that bike a few times a week - id say youd just need to increase your calories slightly like adding a protein shake after workouts. at your heigh that weight isnt too low but you wouldnt want to dip below that. :) i eat roughly 1500 on average a day but its taken me a long time to get back up from 1200. Im currently 108 and almost 5'6
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I think some days I have more than just 1200 calories. I work out quite often, but not as intensely. I do 30 minutes on a stationary bike several times a week. All low cal, but I do have 3 meals and snacks a day.
    I'm 5'2" and around 90 pounds. I've slowly lost 5-6 pounds since Christmas. Haven't gone out much, like out to eat and thus very few indulgences so strictly around 1200-1300, really just depends.

I've gone back and forth (mental) trying to increase, and recently I've increased my calories. Sorry for TMI but thankfully never got any constipation, but have been making more bowel movements- several times a week now. So that is sort of confirmation for myself that things are working. No weight gain at all yet and I ate big meals Friday and Saturday.

The thing that hinders my progress is that I am afraid to gain a bunch of weight uncontrollably, worried about having messed with my metabolism... 1200 calories is what many women seem to have for diet plans. I just never really stopped dieting, other than briefly.

Do you think my metabolism is alright? I am going out for a home cooked meal with family tonight and plan to eat sensibly but more than I have been. I am introducing more things. I just want to take it slow.

I'm not going to lie, I really just want to hear that it sounds like my metabolism is ok... But only if you think so. Something about that really has made it hard for me to change my predicament. Keep planning to try but lately I truly have. It's just not been very long, only super slowly the past couple weeks and now this weekend in particular.

Your metabolism is fine. It's your psychological health that I'm worried about. You are underweight, yet still restricting out of fear of gaining weight. That is eating disorder territory my friend. Please see someone as soon as possible, because you need help before you actually DO do real damage to your body and metabolism.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    If I were in your position, I'd look at what macronutrients and vitamins I was getting. I'd also look at my energy levels and sleep patterns.

When I'm eating 1400-1800 calories a day and exercising regularly, I only need about 6-7 hours a sleep a night and I wake up feeling energized and rested. When I'm working out, I have plenty of energy and I feel good after workouts - not tired or fatigued.

If I go down to 1200 calories, I feel tired, fatigued, like I need more than 8 hours of sleep, and lethargic. This is because I'm not reaching basic macronutrient requirements and vitamin requirements for my bodyi. I am 5'3.5" if that matters. I'd take others' suggestions and see a doctor or nutritionist and show them your food diary, and ask them if you are reaching the requirements for your health NOT of calories but of nutrients and vitamins.

True, I eat much more than that. I eat until my micros meet or exceed my calories, whether I'm over or under, I don't need to lose weight, I just go for meeting micros so that I don't need supplements. :)
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    1200 kcal is probably your BMR. You can afford way more.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This

Your metabolism is fine. It's your psychological health that I'm worried about. You are underweight, yet still restricting out of fear of gaining weight. That is eating disorder territory my friend. Please see someone as soon as possible, because you need help before you actually DO do real damage to your body and metabolism.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Nooooo, if she needed a doctor her weight would be below 94. I have been between 94 and 107 all my life and at 5'2 I've always been healthy.

she said she's around 90
  • notmuchreally
    Options
    Thank you all so much for replies. I've gone back and forth and back and forth but this time I'm finally moving forward. Had a great day yesterday and ate very differently and more calories. It's amazing how I've gotten so used to having such low energy and what a difference just that made. I have been so hung up on and nervous about the metabolism. I think yesterday I had 1,600-1,800 calories as a guess, which perhaps was a jump. But I was in a unique setting (family get together). It was fine but I admit I didn't have the appetite for it all. I absolutely used to have the appetite but just have to work back up to it.
    I have to get a standard physical as I'm due and I will be seeing a doctor sometime in the next 2 weeks tops. I have to call today to set it up.
    Thank you again for replies, I have been really struggling with this.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

she said she's around 90

90 was a perfectly healthy weight for me.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

At 5'2" and 90 lbs, you are significantly underweight and DO NOT need to be dieting or trying to lose weight. In fact, I hope you are trying to put on weight.

I think you need to seek psychiatric counseling with a psychiatrist or psychologist who specializes in eating disorders.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

she said she's around 90

90 was a perfectly healthy weight for me.

How tall are you?
  • notmuchreally
    Options
    I've been to the doctor. Needed a prescription refilled, not sure if you'd call it a physical but I was weighed with clothes on and came in at 92 pounds at noon time. This is about what the scale says at the end of the day.
    They didn't even say anything... It really upset me because I've felt very alone with this. I know they couldn't see exactly how my clothes fit or how thin I am in what I wore, but what about my chart? And my blood pressure was 98/70. Isn't that low? My weight has been 108 and 112 on their charts, if I had to guess. Now your patient is 92 and you say nothing? My health is in my hands but I'm nervous enough at the doctors.

I'm just nervous. I wasn't brave enough to bring up concerns. At that point I wasn't sure I had a good doctor anyway. I am terrified of blood tests but I want one now. To be sure my levels of things are ok.

Still been eating more and different. No change in weight but my jeans fit tighter in the waist and legs. Water retention? But no weight change on the scale. Just switched up food and upped calories a bit to start. And have more plans for going out for dinner and I will be choosing healthy but definitely with more calories and not low cal options only.

I've thought about trying new recipes instead of my usual low cal things. Like cooking real meals for myself, I thought that would be nice for me to do for myself for a change.