Surgery, crutches and sedentary coming months please help

Options
Hi everyone! I am in for surgery for my leg due to an exercise injury next week. I currently eat about 1600 calories per day and exercise 5 days a week.
But since I am doing surgery next week I will be on crutches and sitting all day for at least 1 and half months and then I would be off crutches but would be in a no exercise zone for another couple of months. I have really passed about half of my weight-loss journey and don't want to go back. I can't halt the process for 3 months and summer is coming !

Please do you have any recommendations for me regarding my caloric intake during these coming months? Should I be eating 1200 calories? Or if anyone knows good ways of exercising while sitting down. Any help is really appreciated all this surgery issue is a sudden and I don't know what to do. Thanks :)

Replies

• tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I would mess around with your mfp goals (you can adjust them at anytime: my home > goals > change goals). Since you'll be sedentary because of the surgery, you should change your activity level to sedentary. It'll be a good time to focus on maintain proper nutrition, and work with your doctor after surgery to see what kinds of exercises you can do.
  • CealR
    CealR Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The very first thing I'd do is speak to your doctor - I can tell you what would make sense to me personally, but I don't know the details of your situation the way your doctor would.

With that said, my very first thought (given that you and I have just about the same amount of weight we're trying to lose) would be to switch into maintenance mode until you're cleared to exercise. Not much fun, no, but you're about to undergo surgery. That's an enormous stress on your body and you're going to be using the calories you consume to heal from it. Your doctor or physical therapist may be able to recommend some exercise you can do to keep active and speed healing, but my thought is that if you don't give your body enough fuel to heal from trauma (and it's not like your body can reason out the difference between surgery and an accidental injury), then you might take longer to get back to 100% and your fitness goals.

Good luck and I hope you're feeling better soon.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    You will need extra calories for healing so I would not cut them too much.
    Have you considered going on Maintenance until you are allowed to be active again?
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    of course talk to your dr about what you will be allowed to do r.e exercise, but a quick google of chair exercises should get you started with ideas of things you can do.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I had leg surgery a couple years ago and I was on crutches and did physical therapy for 3-4 months. When I was able to I started looking up those "sit and be fit" videos on youtube and doing those. Also as soon as I was able I started riding my bike again. I had issues walking but I was able to get a bike going so I did that a lot. If it's not painful you can probably do planks and laying leg raises and things like that.

I'm assuming you'll be doing physical therapy at some point? That will be a great way to know what exercises are going to be safe for you.

Hope everything goes well and you heal up quickly! Make sure you have a support system too - I ended up staying at my parents' house for two weeks after surgery because I was basically unable to care for myself for awhile.
  • AnnaChanges
    AnnaChanges Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Actually I want to consider maintenance If was too tired but I would love to be able to continue my weight loss journey especially that I will be going on a vacation after 3 months. Maybe until I am off crutches I will maintain but the couple of months with no exercise I want to lose weight but I am not sure how much should I lower my calories?
  • AnnaChanges
    AnnaChanges Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I had leg surgery a couple years ago and I was on crutches and did physical therapy for 3-4 months. When I was able to I started looking up those "sit and be fit" videos on youtube and doing those. Also as soon as I was able I started riding my bike again. I had issues walking but I was able to get a bike going so I did that a lot. If it's not painful you can probably do planks and laying leg raises and things like that.

I'm assuming you'll be doing physical therapy at some point? That will be a great way to know what exercises are going to be safe for you.

Hope everything goes well and you heal up quickly! Make sure you have a support system too - I ended up staying at my parents' house for two weeks after surgery because I was basically unable to care for myself for awhile.

I am staying too at my parents' until my stiches are removed... I will try the youtube videos and yes after 3 weeks of my surgery I will be doing physical therapy I will sure ask him for advice.

The bike part is really interesting I will sure ask my physical therapy about it ...at least I will be moving in some way

Thank you all for you kind words <3
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I just recently underwent a pretty hefty surgery - for weeks I wasn't to do much except walk around the house a little bit or around the block. No stairs, etc. After a few weeks I was allowed to walk at a 15 minute/mile pace and lift up to ten pounds. Different circumstances, but can be the same type of struggle.

What worked best for me was to focus on lean proteins. Reduce excess calories from treats and really eat as clean as I could. I knew that lean proteins would help me heal a little faster. As soon as I was given the go ahead to walk more I started.

Though, I also started running before I was cleared and I would not recommend this as I now have some pretty excruciating pain. It's funny how dumb I am sometimes.....

in any case - watch your diet, and slowly but surely get back at it. If you can use your arms just fine then get some dumb bells. You will be limited, but a little bit helps. Watch your diet and eat when you are hungry and not when you are bored sitting at home. That can be tough.

Listen to your body, too!

Hope all goes well