NEW 5ft4, 170lbs, goaling for 130 by August

Options
I've gained a lot of weight in the past year. I used to be 140 and now I'm at 170, and for my height it isn't good at all..Lately I've been 1200 calories a day and I always seem to make that, but I've always heard one calorie isn't equal to another calorie of something else..

My main problem is carbs. I always end up eating too much carbs throughout the day and not enough protein, any suggestions on how I can incorporate more protein into my diet?

I mainly want to get healthy, AND have a flat belly. I gain in my stomach and upper thighs mostly, does anyone have any sure-fire worked for you suggestions on how to lost belly fat the fastest???

Replies

• faithkassidy
    Options
    and i know it says i joined july 2013, but i quit a month or so after, and am just now in the past month logging back on and starting over. x(
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    bump! in the same boat
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've always heard one calorie isn't equal to another calorie of something else..

A calorie is a unit of energy. In that, a calorie is a calorie. 1200 calories from cookies and 1200 calories from salads is still 1200 calories and will have the same effect - under what your body burns = lose weight. Over what it burns = gain weight.

You can just eat a lot more volume of salad than of cookies and get to 1200 calories (or whatever your goal is). You would be equally nutritionally deficient if you ate 1200 calories of any one thing. Eat a variety of things to get your micros/macros and don't sweat it too much.
  • faithkassidy
    Options
    Yeah that makes sense..I always just heard stuff like for example 300 calories worth of something will cause less fat than 300 calories of something else..IDKK but you do make sense. I wish I liked salad, I would eat it all the time but salad is disgusting to me lol. thanks :)
  • charming12u
    charming12u Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Also 5'4", heaviest was 168 in December, currently at 148. No magic idea for belly pudge, it's slowly coming off. (I pack weight in the thighs, belly and butt). I was at 1200 calories a day, but started to slow in the loss, so bumped up to 1450, and the scale started moving again. I'm vegan, and do a lot of speed walking, but really need to add some cross training n there!
  • faithkassidy
    Options
    So youve lost like 20lbs. Is there a big difference shown in your body? You basically gain in the exact same places as me lol funny
  • dconn3114
    dconn3114 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a quick, easy way to get some protein. I also like Zing bars. For belly, it's tough. Usually the last place I lose weight but it will with time go away. Take measurements once a month so you can see the progress. Good luck to you!
  • ShreddingIt_84
    Options
    Once i was 170 lost 55# in 6 months!
    My rules were:
    No eating out
    Chicken and brown rice for dinner
    Oatmeal for breakfast
    Only 1 banana a day
    Protein shake after every workout
    Water water!
    Exercise 6x a week
    Run 1 hour a day plus 30 day shred!

I read every book in my library about health and fitness
    the best one I cant remember the name but it was based on your body type.

Good luck!!!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Nope
  • ShreddingIt_84
    Options

Nope
    Yup!
  • charming12u
    Options
    It's weird, I didn't really feel over weight, (but the scale, bmi, and tight jeans told me so) and kind of feel like I should have more (or less!) To show. Still curvy where I'd like it to be less, but I know if I keep making the better choices food wise, it will keep coming off. I did measure before hand, and I'm dropping inches, and my pants are loose in the waist and thighs :)

The biggest thing I've noticed is that I'm feeling better at my races I speed walk at. This year's 15k at st. Patty's day felt better than last year's. 20 pounds is a lot of extra weight to carry when your racing.
  • faithkassidy
    Options
    what exercises did you do that were really useful along with results?? i start off running/powerwalking 30 minutes every day
  • charming12u
    Options
    I used to run/walk, but blew out an ankle joint and ended the running part. So, since October, I've only been speed waking. I usually try to train on tues, weds, Friday and a long mile day on Sunday. I do 5k-1/2 marathons, so my miles change based on what distance I'm ramping up for. The week days are usually 3-5 miles, and Sunday's are 5-8'ish. I do want to start adding some training cross training, in the hopes of toning up the abs :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So youve lost like 20lbs. Is there a big difference shown in your body? You basically gain in the exact same places as me lol funny

You really can't spot reduce, you lose belly fat by losing fat all over. You also don't get to control where the weight comes off, or how fast or slow it comes off because weight loss is not linear.

I've lost 42 pounds and, for me, the magic has been heavy weight lifting. I can't tell you the amazing changes I have seen in my body since incorporating heavy weight lifting into my exercise routine.