A new "almost 40" mom looking for some friends!

Options
Hi there!

I am very new here (12 whole hours or so!) and looking for some friends on this journey back to health..

I am 37 (and a 1/2) and live in the GTA area of Ontario (Burlington, Ontario Canada to be exact) and am the proud mom of two little girls, aged 10 and 6. After having gained over 150 lbs with my daughters and successfully losing most of that weight (through starvation) - I added another 70 lbs or so when my husband left me with a 4 year old and a 10 week old. I lost most of THAT weight, and found the love of my life a little over a year ago and have since piled on another 50 lbs or so. Now having said that, my sweetie and I have given up alcohol and cigarettes, but sadly replaced those bad habits with ice cream and treats.. :embarassed:

I am looking for some friends to chat with and some friendly motiviation throughout our journies back to health (and hotness..!)

Looking forward to talking with you all!

Replies

• CaptainJim157
    Options
    Hey! I live in Hamilton ^^
    I'll add you as a friend to help each other out! :D

Cheers!
  • MariaAlexandra
    MariaAlexandra Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely add you, girl! You just need motivation and that's what i love about MFP, there is a lot of it! When your MFPals start putting their statuses as "Going to the gym," "I love the gym," "Lost 5 pounds" or so, you be more motivated to be like that and you start doing whatever it takes. At least that's what gets me moving too.

So what's your activity level? Like workout plans? :)
  • WillbeFabatForty
    Options
    Heya - Hamilton - a stone's throw away! Looking forward to getting to know you!
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    Send a friend request, I'll be happy to share the journey with you. I am a 45 year old mother of 3 who was spoiled by a high metabolism through my 20's that allowed me to eat absolutely anything and stay slim (even after putting on from 38-45 pounds each pregnancy.) In my mid 30's the ole furnace slowed down and I started packing on pounds. In '03 I lost most of it, but just couldn't get the last 10 off and had quit working out regularly, so on went the weight again. This time it is all coming off and staying off because I hate feeling old and tired and weak, so exercise is a part of my life for good. I have always been an exceptionally strong woman (physically), but I was losing that and hated it. I also couldn't keep up with my kids (now 16, 19 and 21) on hikes and such, so things had to change. I want to be slim enough to steal my daughter's clothes by next summer!
  • WillbeFabatForty
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for the reply and the friend addition!

Workout. ick. That was the part I was hoping to avoid at all costs, but I know that is not reasonable. I have a giant chocolate lab that we walk every night.. by the time the kids are in bed, the dishes and homework are done, it's after 9 and I'm finished for the night... I was seriously considering the gym (after Dec 25) and going EARLY in the am.. as in 6 am or so.. what do you do?
  • WillbeFabatForty
    Options
    I love it! Great motiviation in borrowing your daughter's clothes! I would like my 10 year old to want to borrow mine when she's 13! I too feel like my metabolism doens't work quite right... and coupled with my hatred for exercise.. I feel like I'm doomed.. starvation has always worked, but not the healthy or long term way..
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Nice to know you!:flowerforyou:
  • nellierar
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this too. and I am no expert but I do know that starving, although a quick fix, is not the way to go. Your body starts to produce the bad fats when you don't eat thinking it needs to take care of you. Better to eat a bunch of small, filling, sensible meals instead!

But! you did two of the best things for you that you could already. Not drinking and QUITING smoking! good for you! quitting smoking will be much harder than losing weight!

Good luck!
  • sfarner
    Options
    Giving up smoking is one of the hardest things to do. I applaude you an your husband. I quit nearly cold turkey 4 years ago! WTG! I did the same, picked up the sweets. If we can quit smoking, we can do anything :wink:
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Adding as a friend :flowerforyou:
  • KCHlovesJesus
    Options
    Welcome! I, too, am almost 40 (I just turned 38) and have two kids (10 and almost 8), my husband and I have been married for over 17 years. I sent you a friend request and look forward to walking this journey with some new friends.
    God bless,
    Karen