Not sure why I'm gaining weight?

Options
Hiya!

Since January 1st I've been on 1'200 calories a day, and I've lost around 10kg.

Over the last 2 weeks I've been going back up a bit. even though I'm still on 1'200 calories a day, except on the odd day where I go a bit over if I'm extra hungry or feel like a little chocolate (I didn't think this was so bad) I only mean a little bit extra. (perhaps 50-100kcal)

I tend not to exercise as I've been so busy lately, and my new bmr since losing the 10kg is 1,469

Is there anything I can do to prevent the weight gain, and if I wanted to maintain now do I just need to eat 1469...? It still confuses me :(

for reference 1'm 5'6", 68kg and I'm 20.

Please help :)

Replies

• beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    You're gaining weight because you aren't eating enough. Sounds weird, but your body is storing everything you're giving it because you're starving yourself.
  • zwedwards
    zwedwards Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    But surely because I don't exercise, I am giving it enough.

I also have a desk job 5 days a week so I don't do a lot there either.

Plus I've been losing ok until now..... :(
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It's not just about calories... I would need to see what you are eating to be able to help.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    since your diary isn't open I have to ask some questions

do you weight your food? do you log everything you eat?

As for it not being about calories it is all about calories...and no your body isn't storing everything...
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, am about twice your age, I have thyroid issues and I am shorter than you (5' 2"). When I wasn't exercising I was eating 1400 and still losing weight and now I exercise I eat 1600. I think you will find if you eat more you will be a lot happier and start to lose again. I started with 1200 at first too but when I stalled and then discovered I could eat more and still lose weight I was sold. Trust me it works. There are always ways to fit a bit of exercise in too. I try and walk everywhere I can and now I have upped my exercise I just put on a You Tube video as soon as I walk in the house after getting the kids from school and do 20-40 mins before the notion goes off me :smile:
  • zwedwards
    Options
    I do weigh and log everything, not always on mpf, I have a notebook too.

I am always over 1200 calories, and never over 1500. except the odd day every 2-3 weeks or so when I eat at my in laws! always a hefty dinner haha

I mostly eat well, hardly any fried foods, lots of veggies and fruit.

usually I have a cup of tea in the morning, then lunch at 1 which is usually about 350-400 calories then dinner is about 7pm (being about 500-600 calories) and if I do have a few calories left i'll eat a yoghurt or some chocolate or fruit.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    There could be a few reasons ...weight loss is not linear

You could be forgetting to write stuff down in your notebook or miscalculating...that's why I prelog on here it does everything for me.

It could be water weight from ToM....

How much have you gained? over what time period...
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I never get the obsession with people going as low as 1,200 calories. It just isnt necessary.

Some people talk about this starvation mode theory or not getting enough calories, slowing metabolism. This may be true. Am not a real expert in this though.

However, if you are gaining weight, it is likely you arent eating just 1,200 calories. You would be eating at a calorie surplus. Overestimating exercise/underestimating calories. Calorie deficit = weight loss.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

Since January 1st I've been on 1'200 calories a day, and I've lost around 10kg.

Over the last 2 weeks I've been going back up a bit. even though I'm still on 1'200 calories a day, except on the odd day where I go a bit over if I'm extra hungry or feel like a little chocolate (I didn't think this was so bad) I only mean a little bit extra. (perhaps 50-100kcal)

I tend not to exercise as I've been so busy lately, and my new bmr since losing the 10kg is 1,469

Is there anything I can do to prevent the weight gain, and if I wanted to maintain now do I just need to eat 1469...? It still confuses me :(

for reference 1'm 5'6", 68kg and I'm 20.

Please help :)

Too much sugar in the diet causes leptin resistance, a hormone that controls appetite. Leptin resistance leads to obesity. That is why we are being warned to keep sugar to a minimum, 10 percent of our calories and the reason why a calorie of one food is NOT the same as a calorie of another. It's the quality of the food we eat... how it is metabolized. Counting calories as the only way of weight loss is becoming "old school"

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    You're gaining weight because you aren't eating enough. Sounds weird, but your body is storing everything you're giving it because you're starving yourself.

This is incorrect. You can not gain weight if you are truly eating at a deficit. Weight loss may slow down a bit after long term restriction...but actual gain would be impossible. If you are 100% truly and accurately weighing and logging every bite and sip for several weeks and gaining weight (other than the natural fluctuations of a few pounds up and down) then it's time to go see your doctor.
  • zwedwards
    Options
    I never get the obsession with people going as low as 1,200 calories. It just isnt necessary.

Some people talk about this starvation mode theory or not getting enough calories, slowing metabolism. This may be true. Am not a real expert in this though.

However, if you are gaining weight, it is likely you arent eating just 1,200 calories. You would be eating at a calorie surplus. Overestimating exercise/underestimating calories. Calorie deficit = weight loss.

I'm sure I log everything accurately.

Also it isn't an obsession, when I was new at it MPF just set me to 1200 so that's what I did. I didn't know any better.

and I worry that if I now increase my calories, I may gain weight because of like you say, the starvation mode thing. perhaps it is true and I've been doing it all wrong :(
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Also it isn't an obsession, when I was new at it MPF just set me to 1200 so that's what I did. I didn't know any better.

and I worry that if I now increase my calories, I may gain weight because of like you say, the starvation mode thing. perhaps it is true and I've been doing it all wrong :(

MFP will give you the calories required for your weekly weight loss goals if it you put it at 2lbs a week that is why with 20kg (10now) you should be aiming for 1/2lb a week.

Starvation mode is a myth in how it is used here...your body will adapt to low calories but 1200 is not a vlcd...adaptive thermogenics...but it takes a while.

As for sugar being the culprit that is a load of crap...to lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficet and it doesn't matter where those calories come from...the quality of the food is for health.

Are you doing any new exercises? could be water weight from ToM.
  • zwedwards
    Options

MFP will give you the calories required for your weekly weight loss goals if it you put it at 2lbs a week that is why with 20kg (10now) you should be aiming for 1/2lb a week.

Starvation mode is a myth in how it is used here...your body will adapt to low calories but 1200 is not a vlcd...adaptive thermogenics...but it takes a while.

As for sugar being the culprit that is a load of crap...to lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficet and it doesn't matter where those calories come from...the quality of the food is for health.

I see what you mean

I'm not near my ToM so it shouldn't be that, and I don't really exercise at all.

I've sort of gained 1.5-2kg over 2-3 weeks
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    there probably is error somewhere that you don't realise, I remember I did 1200 for a long time and always consistently lost weight except for 2 weeks where I hit a plateau and realised it was because the noodles I had been eating for dinner had 2 servings instead of just one XD so i had been eating double what I thought I was for dinner lol. started losing again after realising that :3

I do also realise now though that 1200 is a bit too low, I lost quite a bit of muscle mass so I wouldn't recommend it heh..
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I see what you mean

I'm not near my ToM so it shouldn't be that, and I don't really exercise at all.

I've sort of gained 1.5-2kg over 2-3 weeks

If you are absolutely 100% sure you are counting calories correctly...no new exercise...no reason for water weight then you need to go see a doctor and get some blood work done.

I suspect tho it is more simply such as inaccuracies in logging...we all make mistakes...heck I found one in mine on saturday night...
  • oSummerRaeo
    oSummerRaeo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    mmmm nope.

you're gaining because you're eating more somewhere. unless there's an underlying medical issue, i would seriously metaciously list everything you are putting into your body. don't log coffee? log it. don't log tea? log it. don't log condiments? log it.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Try to exercise at least three times this week. Also, try to watch your carb and sugar intake. Do not eliminate, but reduce these. Focus on healthy protein, veges, fats. You will be satisfied and can eat more. Everyone is different, so try to see what works for you. This might work!

Good luck!
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options

This made me laugh. If I had a nickel for every time I read something completely idiotic on this site.....

This is 100% not true and I wish you would educate yourself on the topic before looking like a complete fool.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

"I'm sure I log everything accurately."

This does get said on here a lot when it is apparent this is not the case. It cant be that so many people, despite weighing and doing everything properly cant lose weight unless they are not logging correctly.

But gaining weight from not eating enough? Never heard of this.

The other thing is... MPF recommended you 1,200 cals a day. So at what rate are you trying to lose? 1lb a week? 2lb?
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If you're weighing your food, measuring correctly, etc....then you may want to see a doctor. There are a number of medical conditions that can cause weight gain. Thyroid for example (a problem I have myself) so maybe get it looked into if the gain continues.