Eating more definitely works - Ive finally lost a lb

Options
After eating 1200 calories for 7 weeks as calculated by MFP I upped my calories last week after calculating my TDEE on the Scooby's workshop website. I have lost a 1lb this week. Amazed as I have been eating more and was really worried that I would put weight on, just goes to show that it works. I have started the 30 day shred workout this morning as well so hopefully with the eating more and doing the shred workout as well as my gym workouts 3 times a week I can lose more even if its half a pound a week.......feeling optimistic :smile: :smile: :smile:

Replies

• kimmie19571957
    kimmie19571957 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also was eating 1200 calories, I would eat supper and still be hungry. I exercise a lot. I was told I'm not eating enough to fuel my body. I now eat 1350 and I'm steadily losing weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    After eating 1200 calories for 7 weeks as calculated by MFP I upped my calories last week after calculating my TDEE on the Scooby's workshop website. I have lost a 1lb this week. Amazed as I have been eating more and was really worried that I would put weight on, just goes to show that it works. I have started the 30 day shred workout this morning as well so hopefully with the eating more and doing the shred workout as well as my gym workouts 3 times a week I can lose more even if its half a pound a week.......feeling optimistic

I looked at your diary and you haven't been logging for 7 weeks. First log day was about 26th of Feb...logging less than 4 weeks.

This month only you averaged about between 1300-1500 calories a day.

Without actual logging you have no idea how much you were actually eating...chances are that you were eating more than you thought and now that you are actually logging you are more aware of the calories and actually eating a decent amount.

If you aren't losing on 1200 calories (actual 1200 calories logged accurately) you wont lose on more calories.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Guys eating more does not help lose weight. As Stef said, if you weren't losing on 1200 calories, you wouldn't be losing if you increased your intake. You probably thought you were eating 1200, but were actually eating much more.
  • ChilliRed
    ChilliRed Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I only started logging on here 26th Feb but I was counting my calories. I had used MFP before I got married and it had told me then 1200 calories so I was following that before I signed back up. I tend to eat the same stuff so I hadn't changed what I was eating when I started logging on here. I couldn't remember my login details for my old MFP and I dont have access to that email address any more so I started a new account.
  • gonesquatchin85
    gonesquatchin85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The body is a complex thing, but there is a theory where during stalls sometimes eating a bit more over your TDEE will jumpstart some weight loss. When your stalled at a plateau for a while the idea is to convince your body that there is nothing to panic about by giving it enough extra calories so that it can manage the deficit with it's own fat stores. Here is a study that was done

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615

My thoughts, you gotta trick the body from time to time to reassure it that it's not starving in order for it to drop weight.
  • megaen29
    megaen29 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well I would like to say congratulations since some seem to be missing the point. You lost a lb. That is awesome. Do what works for your body and you will be a healthier you in no time!
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    The body is a complex thing, but there is a theory where during stalls sometimes eating a bit more over your TDEE will jumpstart some weight loss. When your stalled at a plateau for a while the idea is to convince your body that there is nothing to panic about by giving it enough extra calories so that it can manage the deficit with it's own fat stores. Here is a study that was done

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615

My thoughts, you gotta trick the body from time to time to reassure it that it's not starving in order for it to drop weight.

but she isn't over her TDEE...she averaged 1400 a day since she was logging...and lost weight...simple easy she was eating more than she thought prior now is in a deficet.

The stalls you talk about imo are due to too low calories for a long period of time..adaptive thermogenis...the body doesn't need tricked...if you eat at a reasonable deficet you will lose weight..weight loss is not linear but you wont "stall" if you are in a deficet unless there are medical conditions...or you are kidding yourself about how much you are eating.
  • Deb_622
    Deb_622 Posts: 694
    Options
    Eating an excess does not help you lose weight, but sometimes you are not eating enough to fuel your body.

That is actually what brought me to MFP in the first place...I had been doing Weight Watchers and working out with the Insanity program and T25 before that. WW doesn't give you a very good picture of what you are eating or how many calories...so, I came here and realized that I was only eating about 1200-1300 calories a day. Due to the high intensity of the workouts, I needed to eat more to ensure that my body had enough fuel and the low calories was causing my body to "hang on" to what it had and I stopped losing weight for a couple of weeks.

I have lost 2.5 pounds in the last week after increasing my calorie intake 200-300 calories a day. I am still at a deficit for what MFP calculates after I input the calories I burn during a workout - which are pretty accurate since I have a heart rate monitor that calculates my calories...

You need to be at a deficit, but if your calorie deficit is too high, then your body can sometimes stall your weight loss...especially if you are working out a lot.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I thought eating more (not over your TDEE) helps get leptin levels back up and can help re start weight loss?

I had a 2 week diet break over christmas where I ate loads, I gained a few lbs but once I went back to eating at a slight deficit for the next 6 weeks the weight was just falling off. Some of that was obviously water weight but not 16lbs of it. Last week I had 2/3 days where I ate over maintainence because I just wanted junk and I lost 4lbs. To be honest I was expecting to gain some water weight from it.

I hear so much conflicting information about this subject I really dont know what to believe.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Well I would like to say congratulations since some seem to be missing the point. You lost a lb. That is awesome. Do what works for your body and you will be a healthier you in no time!

my thoughts exactly!

Keep it up ChilliRed, do what works for YOU! Funny how many here are basically calling you a liar because you havent logged everything on MFP, as if you cant possibly log food any other way, lol, silly people.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I only started logging on here 26th Feb but I was counting my calories. I had used MFP before I got married and it had told me then 1200 calories so I was following that before I signed back up. I tend to eat the same stuff so I hadn't changed what I was eating when I started logging on here. I couldn't remember my login details for my old MFP and I dont have access to that email address any more so I started a new account.

You dont have to explain yourself. Keep it up!!!
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options

my thoughts exactly!

Keep it up ChilliRed, do what works for YOU! Funny how many here are basically calling you a liar because you havent logged everything on MFP, as if you cant possibly log food any other way, lol, silly people.

No, we are just clearing a misconception that eating more leads to more effective weight loss. I am very happy that she lost a pound, but it wasn't because she ate more. Hopefully, our advice will help her in the future.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    @Deb no your body doesn't hang onto fat...a few weeks without losing weight is not a stall it's your body doing what it does. Weight loss is not linear and you will not lose exactly 1lb every week based on a 500 calorie a day deficet...just doesn't work that way.

@ninav & @ megaen

we are not missing the point just clearing up "mis information"...

I am not calling her a liar what I am saying is that at a true deficet you lose weight...and if she was really eating 1200 calories and not losing weight eating an extra couple hundred calories is not going to make her lose weight.

It's mathmatetically impossible...in order to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficet...yes she is in a calorie deficet therefore losing weight but this fallacy that upping calories helps you lose weight always needs corrected...because it leads people down the wrong road and they really do gain weight...and that is not what we want.

I am not saying only eat 1200 calories...eat the maximum number of calories you can and still lose your weekly weight is what needs done.
  • ChilliRed
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid so I do struggle with weight loss due to this but thanks for the replies.

MFP told me to have 1200 per day but according to the Scooby workshop website when i put all my stats in it said that my TDEE is 2111 so eating at a deficit of 20% gave me 1689 which i should be able to lose weight at.
  • ChilliRed
    Options

my thoughts exactly!

Thanks both of you :smile:
  • cowgirlqueen
    cowgirlqueen Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    After eating 1200 calories for 7 weeks as calculated by MFP I upped my calories last week after calculating my TDEE on the Scooby's workshop website. I have lost a 1lb this week. Amazed as I have been eating more and was really worried that I would put weight on, just goes to show that it works. I have started the 30 day shred workout this morning as well so hopefully with the eating more and doing the shred workout as well as my gym workouts 3 times a week I can lose more even if its half a pound a week.......feeling optimistic :smile: :smile: :smile:

that's awesome!! I also just readjusted my calories after logging my food I realized I was eating a very very low 800 so I uped it dramatically to 1466 and I've lost 2 lbs I honestly thought i'd gain weight with the dramatic increase but I was definitely wrong sure I felt super stuffed an bloated for a day but it was worth it I feel so much better more energy more happy my puffiness went away its non existent now :)
  • cowgirlqueen
    cowgirlqueen Posts: 466 Member
    Options

that's awesome!! I also just readjusted my calories after logging my food I realized I was eating a very very low 800 so I uped it dramatically to 1466 and I've lost 2 lbs I honestly thought i'd gain weight with the dramatic increase but I was definitely wrong sure I felt super stuffed an bloated for a day but it was worth it I feel so much better more energy more happy my puffiness went away its non existent now :)