Portable, one-handed snacks?

Options
I sometimes go 6-8 hours without eating - which isn't really good for you I'm told - due to not being entitled to a break at work. Being a cleaner, I'm really looking for a nutritious snack I can make/buy that I can eat one-handed while doing my job (and doesn't make much crumbly mess). Anyone got any ideas? c:

EDIT: I live in the UK so if you can keep products/ingredients to that country, that would be a bit easier on me. Can't really afford those crazy import prices.

Replies

• Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Apple, cheese stick, soft granola bar.
  • Rachifloon
    Rachifloon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to find granola bars that aren't crazy with sugar. As for things like fruit and what not, due to touching dirty surfaces I don't really want to touch the actual fruit.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I sometimes go 6-8 hours without eating - which isn't really good for you I'm told - due to not being entitled to a break at work. Being a cleaner, I'm really looking for a nutritious snack I can make/buy that I can eat one-handed while doing my job (and doesn't make much crumbly mess). Anyone got any ideas? c:

EDIT: I live in the UK so if you can keep products/ingredients to that country, that would be a bit easier on me. Can't really afford those crazy import prices.
    Legally in the UK you are legally entitled to a break under health and safety law. Speak to a union rep if you have one or go to the CAB)
  • kari31p
    kari31p Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great recipes online for Homemade Granola bars that allow you to control what you are trying to limit (sugar, carbs, etc).

I'm also not sure if you have Quest Bars available in the UK, but I highly suggest you look into it. They are delicious, have no added sugar, and are super high in protein to allow for a snack that will keep you full longer!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what you've been told, unless you're hungry, or skipping meals causes you to later binge, you do not have to eat every X hours. So that's one solution if you're cool with it. Weight loss ( if that's your goal) only has to do with total calories burned vs. total calories eaten regardless of timing. Personally I'm always stuffing my face so in no way am I saying this is an ideal way to be! Your situation just seems to potentially call for it.
  • Rachifloon
    Options
    You are right, yes, but the maximum hours i actually work is 5 and a half. The other 2 and half hours consists of half an hour of waiting for lunch to go down before having a 35 minute walk to work (I get indigestion otherwise), 35 minutes walking home, 5-10 minutes sit-down, 15 minutes showering (I feel mucky after cleaning) and then 15-30 mins of cooking dinner. So it all unfortunately adds up.

As for Quest bars, yes we do have them, and yes they're good for you, but at £2+ a bar it's not something I can afford. I'l look into those homemade recipes though!
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Banana (although can be smelly), minibell cheese wheels.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options

Legally in the UK you are legally entitled to a break under health and safety law. Speak to a union rep if you have one or go to the CAB)

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/workingtime.htm

You have a statutory right to at least 20 minutes rest within a 6 hour shift.

Or do you work cash in hand?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised your boss doesn't let you have a 5 minute break in a 5 hour shift. Does he make you wear a catheter?
  • A_Shoe_In
    Options
    I find the little individual packs of apples slices to work quite well and they are refreshing. The calories range from 30 to 80 per pack. I keep them in my purse all the time.
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to find granola bars that aren't crazy with sugar. As for things like fruit and what not, due to touching dirty surfaces I don't really want to touch the actual fruit.

Bananas have a peel so you should be safe unless you want to eat it too LOL :flowerforyou:
  • Rachifloon
    Options
    I'm surprised your boss doesn't let you have a 5 minute break in a 5 hour shift. Does he make you wear a catheter?

Haha, we're allowed bathroom breaks when we please but the walking around supervisor keeps an eye out to make sure we're not taking advantage or being too long.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/workingtime.htm

You have a statutory right to at least 20 minutes rest within a 6 hour shift.

Or do you work cash in hand?

^^^ yeah this. you're entitled to breaks in your working day, by law.

BTW even if you're not a member of a union, a union rep can still help/advise you.
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Banana (although can be smelly), minibell cheese wheels.

Smelly bananas?? :huh:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Haha, we're allowed bathroom breaks when we please but the walking around supervisor keeps an eye out to make sure we're not taking advantage or being too long.

tell them your doctor told you that you can't go more than 4 hrs without eating. they're breaking the law by not allowing you to have breaks so don't feel guilty about telling them that.
  • Satiable
    Satiable Posts: 121
    Options
    One-handed snacks you don't have to touch with your bare hands:
    - Biltong/jerky. If local grocery stores don't sell it you may be able to buy it from a butcher.
    - A smoothie or pre made breakfast drink (like Weetabix On The Go) kept cold in a small thermos.
    - Individual snack packs of raisins, nuts etc. sometimes come in little cardboard boxes, you could tip them into your mouth without touching the food. Whitworths brand sells these in the UK.
    ...due to touching dirty surfaces I don't really want to touch the actual fruit.
    Perhaps you could carry a little pocket-pack of hand wipes, or sanitising gel, if you need to clean your hands in a hurry?
  • Rachifloon
    Options
    One-handed snacks you don't have to touch with your bare hands:
    - Biltong/jerky. If local grocery stores don't sell it you may be able to buy it from a butcher.
    - A smoothie or pre made breakfast drink (like Weetabix On The Go) kept cold in a small thermos.
    - Individual snack packs of raisins, nuts etc. sometimes come in little cardboard boxes, you could tip them into your mouth without touching the food. Whitworths brand sells these in the UK.
    ...due to touching dirty surfaces I don't really want to touch the actual fruit.
    Perhaps you could carry a little pocket-pack of hand wipes, or sanitising gel, if you need to clean your hands in a hurry?

Thank you for the suggestions, I've got a good idea of work-friendly snacks now. c:
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I'd be looking for a new job, that's all I know.

I'll second homemade granola bars, bananas, and string cheese, though.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Could you prepare mini bottles of protein shakes or similar? At least you could keep one in a pocket and down it as you walk to the toilet.
  • Rachifloon
    Options
    Could you prepare mini bottles of protein shakes or similar? At least you could keep one in a pocket and down it as you walk to the toilet.

Yeah, someone above you mentioned that too. May need to invest in a "keep cold" bottle soon...