How many times shoud I be going to the gym?

Options
I finally got my self a Gym pass. I have been going three times a week. And I have been going to those classes at the gym. I go 60mins every time I go. But is that enough? Should I be going more than 3 times a week? Or what other exercise should I do on my other days that I am not there? I know once this snow goes away I'll be riding my bike, Rollerblading ect.

Replies

• sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Never, if you can manage it :)
  • ewennmacher
    Options
    go as much or as little as you want. if you make it like a chore, or something you "need" to do vs. something you WANT to do, you are more likely to give up on it. go when you need to de-stress or need some "me" time. set fitness goals that are attainable and will make you proud of yourself!! The key is to make it a life-long habbit!! :)
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    3X per week is fine if you are going to exercise outside on the other days. It's whatever you feel is the right amount AND something you can achieve on a long term basis with consistency.
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I go 5 days a week. Maybe you should just stick to what your doing and make sure your diet is good. If you're not seeing the results you want then go more. Just remember consistency is the key to finding out what you should change. Good luck :)
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    When you first start out going three times a week is great. Over time increase going there more if you can't exercise at home. I saw that you plan on riding your bike and rollerblading when it warms up. Those are great exerciese and are great to replace the cardio in the gym. Just remember to do some strength training too, which I admit, I have not done yet.
  • ewennmacher
    Options
    sillyvalintin- i love your quote on your weight loss ticker!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • calajane
    calajane Posts: 52
    Options
    I go twice a week after work, sometimes I spring for another class on a Saturday morning, I have the classes spread out through the week, so my body has a moment to rest (my muscles aren't used to the exercise yet, it's only been 2 months). But I still try to get at least some exercise on the days I don't go. Though I found that I get a bigger workout during those classes because I'm more motivated with a trainer and other participants there.

All in all, it's all about what works for you.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Get your self a HRM.. and monitor the calories you burn.
    IF you are able to reach your goal.. great.
    If you dont' reach your goal, keep going
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    It's totally up to you. If your goal is weight loss, the only thing the gym is going to do is to help you create a bigger deficit, so you can achieve the same results without going to the gym by eating less. But if you goals are fitness related, then you have to decide exactly what they are, do a little research and come up with a plan that will work for you on getting there. As others have said, if you see it as a chore, you are less likely to do it. Find something you enjoy.
  • Starlight_Shine
    Options
    Thank you!! good way to think like that!!!
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    Your goal for the rest of your life is to exercise at least 5-6 days a week. How many of those days are in the gym is up to you.

In late fall, winter, and early spring I'm at 5-6 days a week in the gym. Once it warms up I replace a few gym workouts with runs, hikes, bike rides, etc.