Sneakers suggestions?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
My Nike sneakers are dying... again. It's the ones with the mesh on top, and after 6 months, inevitably, it starts leaking on the top (where my toes hit I guess?) and the sides.

I think I'm going to go with another brand at this rate. Is there any shoe that will last longer than that? I haven't even used them that much, as it was cold and I was using my boots, but I walk a lot and run a little bit and will probably use them every day this Spring (unless someone has a good recommendation for more casual shoes that are great for walking too).

Thanks in advance... I'd rather not spend a fortune, but I paid $80 or something for those, so if it lasts longer, it could be worth it.

Replies

• mgj77
    mgj77 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am on my feet alot at work and a few years ago I bought a pair of Skecher Shape ups I LOVE them My feet and my knees dont ache anymore I had them for at least four years They are in still good shape but they are getting a little worn out so I do not wear them to work anymore I still use them to exercise and go walking in I am hoping to get a new pair soon
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I expect my running trainer to last between 400-600miles before I have to consider getting a new pair (I only run in my trainers for this reason and have a different pair for walking and going to the gym).

I know people that have 2 pairs of the same trainers and alternate them between runs so that they get longer before they have to get new ones.

I like my Brooks for road running and my Salomon for trail running.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Six months, depending on use doesn't seem all that off if they are used fairly hard each day...

That being said, for everyday type of wear, I like Puma's myself. For working out, I'll take my Sauconey...
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Skechers ... with the memory foam inserts. I'll never wear anything else ever again. There are so many different ones you can get just about anything you want as far as the way they look. They are comfortable right out of the gate. I love them. And I have a hard time finding shoes that fit as I have a wider foot. But they have a regular width shoe as well. Give them a try. You won't be sorry. Reasonably priced too.
  • miss_smilla
    miss_smilla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I routinely replace my sneakers every 6 months, as any longer than that I start getting heel and inner ankle tendon pain. It's recommended that you replace them this often if you run, but I've found the same for if you lift a lot or do a lot of impactful cardio (zumba, shred classes where you're bouncing up and down etc) I swear by Brooks and Saucony as they do wider women's fitting, and are great for instability / rolling feet which I have; both of these brands cost around $110 but are worth every penny.

If there's anywhere in your area that offers free gait analysis (testing sneakers on a treadmill) in store, I highly recommend it as it'll save you wasted money in the long run.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You should get fitted, first and foremost.

As far as brands go, I'm really digging Mizuno for road running and Salomon for trail running.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What kind of stores do fittings? I'm not sure I've seen any here.
  • enriant
    enriant Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread!

I only use one pair of sneakers, because I'm too lazy to alternate, but I use them for HIIT-type workouts plus walking. Are there any good sneakers that give enough support for both activities?

Also, to repeat Franc's question: what sort of stores do sneaker fittings?
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Go to your running specialty store (not the big box sporting goods store). They'll evaluate your gait and suggest which shoes would work in a bunch of different brands and models/price points within the brand, and then you try them all on and see which works for you. A typical running shoe should last 300-500 miles, on the lower end if you're heavier, on the higher end if you're lighter.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    What kind of stores do fittings? I'm not sure I've seen any here.

Fleet Feet does fittings and I believe New Balance stores do too however I don't think they get you on a treadmill and assess your gait like Fleet Feet does. I think they just have you stand on a machine and evaluate your foot that way which really isn't much help.
  • enriant
    enriant Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! The nearest fleet feet to me is still ~45 mins away, but I'll try to check it or another specialty store out in the next couple of days.

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's personal favorite sneaker? I know it's super subjective, but I figured it'd be fun to ask!
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My Nike sneakers are dying... again. It's the ones with the mesh on top, and after 6 months, inevitably, it starts leaking on the top (where my toes hit I guess?) and the sides.

I think I'm going to go with another brand at this rate. Is there any shoe that will last longer than that? I haven't even used them that much, as it was cold and I was using my boots, but I walk a lot and run a little bit and will probably use them every day this Spring (unless someone has a good recommendation for more casual shoes that are great for walking too).

Thanks in advance... I'd rather not spend a fortune, but I paid $80 or something for those, so if it lasts longer, it could be worth it.

Brooks running shoes around $100 to $120
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've worked in the specialty shoe stores and did gait analysis for 6 years. A lot of very good advice so far on this thread! I'll throw in some things to think about and reinforce what others have already said.

Running shoes or any shoe with EVA (the cushy stuff between the upper and the sole) has a life of about 6 months for an average wearer. Walkers and runners should replace their shoes every 400 - 600 miles. The heavier you are the faster you'll have to replace them too. Over time the EVA compresses and loses it's ability to "rebound" so it no longer absorbs shock. (Think shin splints, ankle pain, the dreaded Plantar Fascitis, etc.) People will alternate 2 pair because the EVA takes more than 24 hours to recover from being worn. Also the shoes will last a little longer and perform much better. (They feel like a new pair longer). If you are alternating 2 pair, you still need to replace them both every year or possibly sooner.

Also a lot of people don't realize that these shoes have a shelf life!!! They will break down just sitting in the box at the shoe store. That takes about 2 years but it's a good reason not to buy outdated models. Always try to get the most current model.

You don't need to spend a fortune on quality shoes. But you do need to know what type of shoe you need. Have your feet and gait assessed, understand what type of shoe you need. A very good brand to check out that's not expensive is Asics. I'm sure I'll catch hell for this but Sketchers are probably the worst shoe you could possibly buy.

Lastly, know what both of your feet measure! Length AND width!!! Brands vary greatly on how they actually fit! If I had a nickel for every time I helped someone wearing the wrong size I'd be rich, lol. :laugh: