Hard time finding pants - but found a store!

Options
I finally found a store in my mall that carries my size.
Being 25 years old, I don't want to start shopping at Lane Bryant and also do not want the elastic waistband on my pants.

After being humiliated, judged, pitied and sent on my way for being too fat; I went to Maurices and was estatic when the girl showed me the pants they had in stock right in the store. Sizes up to 22.

I had first went to Aeropostale, but was told they only carried a size 12 in the store. I would have to go online, where they had sizes up to 16. With the explanation came the once-over and the pity look of "Honey. I'm sorry. But you're too fat to be shopping in this store. But I can't tell you that."

I should have went over to the guy's section and found a pair of pants.

Next, I went to Wet Seal, but they didn't carry my size either. Neither in the store or online.

Then I headed to PacSun, and I asked the girl at the counter if they carried a size 18 pant.
She at least didn't try to hide her disgust.

She was silent, looked at me, actually snickered and sneered and said "Uhm. No. We only carry a size 13."
While saying that, she never looked at me.

The girl at Maurices was very nice, and showed me what kind of style and pant she preferred.
The pants were long enough for me, and they also went above my hips a bit, to make it more lined.
They also stretched out a bit as I wore them, so even though I got a size 16 pair - they got baggier as I wore them.
But as soon as I washed them, they shrunk back a bit.

It's always been hard for me to find jeans and to find a place where I could be respected when shopping for clothes and so I figured I would let other females on this site know, and maybe others would know of places to buy clothes that are for young women.

Replies

• are0721
    are0721 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's really hard finding pants for me as well. I actually always bought my jeans at maurices, but I found that they stretch so fast, that by the end of the day, but butt looks like it's sagging haha. I decided to try a new place, and I went to Gordmans and found cheap, good jeans! I also wear a size 18, but in the Angel's brand jeans, I'm a size 16 (they are pretty stretchy). I don't know if I'd ever go back now, I love them. I dunno if you have a Gordman's near you, but if so, try em out!
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    so glad you were able to find some jeans! I find this is the hardest part of being overweight...not having to wear "fat" clothes like lane bryant...we want the cute styles! we dont want to wear drapes for shirts or elastic waistbands! c'mon! why cant they just enlarge the pattern a bit for the heavier girls? i dont understand and never will!! anyway..yeah you had more guts than I would have walking in there and asking for a large size! and if people only knew how far politeness and courtesy goes! and yay for having a smaller size too! that will always perk you up!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    They have some of the best dresses, too! :) Don't knock Lane Bryant too hard, though. I'm a size 16 and pretty curvey. I found that their dress pants can't be beat...anywhere! They're incredible and last forever (I've had one pair for the past 5 years and they still look great)! Nobody would know they're from Lane Bryant, either, unless they looked at the tag! :)
  • Kourtney88
    Kourtney88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of luck at Kohls. They have a big selection of jeans. Levi's are my favorite.

Also you should give Lane Bryant a shot. You might be surprised. Their clothes are very trendy and I never have to worry about finding my size. I'm 22 and have found a lot of cute, age appropriate things to wear.

Good luck!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Walmart has Faded Glory. Very comfy. I bought a pair of 24s there last year, and am now in an 8. Try em out. Nice jeans, inexpensive, goes up to pretty big sizes.
  • carrie145
    Options
    I shopped at Lane Bryant when I was in my early 20's. I love there clothes. They are very stylish and the sizes start at 14. Plus, they have the best bras ever..
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I dont know if they have fashion bug, Dots or jcennys by where you live (im in Michigan)but they all have sizes 0 to 24 DOTS is my favorite store cute trendy clothes for every size. Fashion bug has a jeans line that is for you shape normaly im a size 14 but there jeans im in a 7!!!!!!! so give them a try if theres one in your area, good luck
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! lol. I have done Maurices pants also. I like them but believe it or not I have had the best of luck with Old Navy's for some reason. Ah well, to each their own. :)
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Anyone in Canada - Ricki's carries up to size 16 I think. Their pants stretch out a ton which I dont love, but they are super cheap. I am actually wearing an entire outfit I bought there in size 12 and it cost me $20. So I dont mind buying new clothes knowing I am only going to be wearing them for a few months. They are cute and, in my mind, cant be beat for the price!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Maurices is my ♥♥FAVORITE♥♥ store!! At my biggest I was 12/14 after having my son and when I don't have any luck anywhere else, I ALWAYS have luck there!! They are trendy and carry a lot of styles and sizes to fit different bodies! Glad you found a store...continue to shop there!! :):):)

I am SO sorry about they way you were treated. That is pathetic and rude, and girls like that should NOT be allowed to work there. But unfortunately, our society sucks sometimes when it comes to being superficial. :(
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I had an experience like that once and I looked at the skinny snobby B@#$% behind the counter and said "Oh don't worry sweety I looked like that too before having two kids, you will get there!"
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I had an experience like that once and I looked at the skinny snobby B@#$% behind the counter and said "Oh don't worry sweety I looked like that too before having two kids, you will get there!"

OMG! Some people seriously need a good SLAP!
  • dk82
    dk82 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You really should look at Lane Bryant. I worked there and they dont have clothes like they used to. Before working there I had never shopped there and I thought it was all elastic waist. The clothes now are targeted for 20-40 year olds. I love their clothes, I'm a little upset that I am almost too small to wear their clothes now, but happy too cause I'm losing weight. You can maybe try Fashion Bug too.
    Good luck finding clothes!
  • txmomma0889
    txmomma0889 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love catos plus size section i use to get my clothes there

this is also where i get cute plus size undergarments
  • dk82
    dk82 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I dont know if they have fashion bug, Dots or jcennys by where you live (im in Michigan)but they all have sizes 0 to 24 DOTS is my favorite store cute trendy clothes for every size. Fashion bug has a jeans line that is for you shape normaly im a size 14 but there jeans im in a 7!!!!!!! so give them a try if theres one in your area, good luck

Lane Bryant also has pants/jeans like that. I'm a 1-2 there!!!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I'm sorry that your shopping experience was so frustrating. You are beautiful and perfect exactly as you are. Any store should be HONORED to get your business. Nice to know what stores you WON'T be spending your money at in the future.

I do wish you'd reconsider Lane Bryant. They REALLY know how to fit a curvy girl's body and their Right Fit jeans line is AMAZING! I always got great service in that store and, truth be told, was a little sad when I was no longer able to shop there.

Charmagne