Benefits of Organic Coconut Oil

Options
Anyone using it? Have you found it beneficial?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I use vco because it tastes good with some foods. As far as benefits are concerned, I don't really know what you mean. They metabolise differently and get used as immediate energy as opposed to being stored. The big benefit I like is it's low capacity for oxidation unlike unsaturated fats especially polyunsaturated fats.
  • threeangelzmom
    Options
    Yes that's one of the things I have read about not being stored as fat because of the MCT in it. Thanks.
  • threeangelzmom
    Options

I am hearing it is helpful for weight loss along with many other things, Just curious if anyone else on MFP has used it for weight loss.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for certain benefits?

I mostly use organic virgin coconut oil. I started using it years ago because my husband is from the Caribbean and that is what he always used. I can't point to any specific benefits that are just from it, but studies show it is very beneficial and I can't say that I have any problems that it is supposed to help. I also use it for skin and hair and absolutely love it.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Sorry, seems you were clarifying while I was posting. I haven't specifically used it for weight loss, but it will definitely contribute to a healthy diet and weight loss.
  • threeangelzmom
    Options
    Thank you! My hair and skin love it too!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I am hearing it is helpful for weight loss along with many other things, Just curious if anyone else on MFP has used it for weight loss.

No particular food is going to aid in weightloss. It has some nutritional and overall health properties that make it a better choice than some other fats and it tastes delicious with certain foods...but it's not magical.

I cook with unrefined, organic coconut oil pretty regularly. I make my eggs with it every day and I also use it for my rice pilaf which I eat 2-3 times weekly...and it's awesome for popping popcorn. I was into coconut oil before coconut oil was cool...and alas, I still got fat. I lost all of my weight by maintaining a reasonable calorie deficit and consuming pretty much everything I love in more moderate quantities...including my coconut oil....it's still 120 calories per Tbsp. just like any other fat.
  • nvdangelo
    Options
    Hi there. I switched to raw organic coconut oil 2 months ago when I started my weight loss journey. It has been wonderful. It has much less fat then olive and other vegetable oils. It taste great and a lot less goes a long way. I think it's a main factor for my successful weight loss this far. Plus it's wonderful in the bathroom too, I use it to condition my hair and use it to moisturise my skin. It smells yummy and is totally natural. Give it a go.

Make sure its Organic, raw virgin. With as few ingredients as possible.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I switched to raw organic coconut oil 2 months ago when I started my weight loss journey. It has been wonderful. It has much less fat then olive and other vegetable oils. It taste great and a lot less goes a long way. I think it's a main factor for my successful weight loss this far. Plus it's wonderful in the bathroom too, I use it to condition my hair and use it to moisturise my skin. It smells yummy and is totally natural. Give it a go.

Make sure its Organic, raw virgin. With as few ingredients as possible.

:huh: