In between weights...should i go heavier or lighter?

Disclaimer: I am still a weakling but trying to improve : )

I have been doing 3 sets of 8-10 reps each(front, sides and backs of shoulder) with the 15 but now I think its too light and the next one up is 20, which is a bit too heavy for me and I end up compensating with my elbows. Should I do more reps with the 15lb weight or less reps with the 20lb weight in order to bridge the gap? Is one better than the other? I tried to google an answer but couldn't find what I was looking for. Any quick advice would be much appreciated!!

anndddd I think there is supposed to be a 17.5lb dumbbell but it seems to be missing from the gym so thats not an option. And I considered holding the 10lb and 7.5lb at the same time but my hands don't fit around them.

Replies

• LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Don't ever lift so heavy that you compromise on your form, thats how you get hurt.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member

anndddd I think there is supposed to be a 17.5lb dumbbell but it seems to be missing from the gym so thats not an option. And I considered holding the 10lb and 7.5lb at the same time but my hands don't fit around them.

That seems like a way to drop a dumbell on your foot.

You should just complain to whoever is in charge about the 17.5#, thats what I'd do :P
  • mightymousemackie
    mightymousemackie Posts: 5 Member
    Go up to the heavier weights an do as many as you can to build the strength. In order to build you must go heavy even if you can not do a full set, you will get it
  • kpchefai
    kpchefai Posts: 54 Member
    Great! Thanks!
  • mightymousemackie
    mightymousemackie Posts: 5 Member
    You are welcome. Anytime you have questions feel free to ask. I am a personal trainer
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Go up to the heavier weights an do as many as you can to build the strength. In order to build you must go heavy even if you can not do a full set, you will get it

Just learned this last week! :)

I have been starting to feel stronger even if it doesn't show yet ;)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Disclaimer: I am still a weakling but trying to improve : )

I have been doing 3 sets of 8-10 reps each(front, sides and backs of shoulder) with the 15 but now I think its too light and the next one up is 20, which is a bit too heavy for me and I end up compensating with my elbows. Should I do more reps with the 15lb weight or less reps with the 20lb weight in order to bridge the gap? Is one better than the other? I tried to google an answer but couldn't find what I was looking for. Any quick advice would be much appreciated!!

Why do you say it's too light? When you hit 10 reps could you do more?
    Going heavier is a good plan, unless you are compromising form. Can you still get 4-6 perfect form reps with the 20's? If so, that is good, make the jump. If not, then keep with the 15's until you are doing 12-15 reps and try again with the 20's.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Yep, go heavier and do less reps. Even if it's 4-6 reps for 3 sets. You'll soon gain strength and be able to do 3 sets of 8-10 reps, then can increase your weights again and repeat. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

this.

it's okay if you don't finish a set. if you are lifting- and trying to get stronger- you will struggle- you will fail. You may even not complete a rep or drop a weight.

it happens.

pushing to be better with heavy weights isn't easy- you grunt- sweat- pee- shart- and make really funny faces sometimes. (okay all the times with the faces aspect). It's HARD work. It's supposed to be.

Get in there and get after it.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Going from 15 to 20 pounds is one of the most awkward jumps you'll ever make. You got great advice from everybody. Good luck!