5 MONTHS ..ONLY 10LBS LOSS :(

Options
Hello, I am 45 years old. I have been on MFP for 160 days. Logging everyday. 30 day shred is my current exercise. I am 5 feet tall. I eat 1200 calories a day plus usually I eat my exercise calories. Is it my age? Do I need more exercise? Should I not eat back exercise?..some input will be greatly appreciated. Would like to add that I am feeling great. I have lost inches.

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    you're losing. the only problem is your level of patience.
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options

QFT.
  • landersen123
    landersen123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! You are definitely losing. I've probably lost the same amount of weight over the same time period and I too am on the short side (5'1) with only a few pounds to lose. The inches matter. Keep up the good work!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    There are some people who wish they did a slower weight loss procedure so their skin and bodies can adapt.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Take measurements and photos monthly. They are way more encouraging indicators than the number on the scale!

You're doing great. The days and months will pass by no matter what you do, and you're spending them losing weight, however slowly. A slow loss will lead to easier maintenance. You will reach your goal weight at some point, and you will not be disappointed that you didn't get there faster. You will just be proud to be healthy and maintaining.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

QFT.

Ya no..

You are losing just not as fast as you could be...1/4lb a week give or take is slow...

I looked at your diary and I see it doesn't appear that you weigh your food...that can cause you to eat more than you realize.

For example (and yes this is just as an example) you have logged chicken breast 4 oz (113g) you have as 120calories...100 grams of chicken has 172 calories when it is roasted...so there you under estimated over 70 calories...

In order to know how much you are eating you need to weigh it and you need to use the correct entries. those entries with generic, homemade or with an asterik are user entered and could be wrong...always search for those entries without those things and if you can't find one google it "calories in roast chicken" or go to the usda website
  • minky_r
    minky_r Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    10 lbs in 5 months is around 2 lbs a month which is around half a lb a week. Which sounds like good steady weight loss to me.

But weighing and measuring is all important, so make sure you're being accurate in your logging.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    What is your current BMI and goal BMI? You may be already close to "normal" BMI, and therefore 1/2lb per week is all you can reasonably expect.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    0.4 pounds a week is not terrible-- especially if you are exercising, which will put on muscle pounds.

However-- some people are going to go ballistic on me for saying this-- but people your height (5'0') and mine (5'2") can go below the 1200 calorie per day minimum and be fine. (This "One size fits all" rule is totally illogical.)

I would cut back some (to 1100 or 1000) and see if you can speed it up a little without feeling starved. (I know, this is heresy...)
  • lenemar50
    Options
    All I have to say is you need to loose weight slowly to allow your skin to adapt. After all you didn't gain this weight overnight so you shouldn't expect to loose it overnight. I gained 64 pounds in eight years-menopause started it. I have been steadily logging on to MyFitnessPal since July 6, 2013 although I did take 2 months off in November and December. I maintained my weight though. I picked it back up in January. I have lost 30 pounds in 8 months. It took 9 years to put on the weight so I'm happy it only took 8 months to loose 30 lbs. I still need to loose another 34 pounds so I take it day by day. By the way....I'm only 5'3". So don't be discouraged on how many you have to go. Enjoy each pound less as a victory. Rome wasn't built in a day.....so my husband says.
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The curse of being little...it sounds to me like you are losing at a steady pace. That's way faster than I lose!

I agree with the comments about weighing your food because guessing will most likely lead to being wrong about calorie counts. I would look at scoobysworkshop.com to calculate your TDEE and do NOT eat back your calories burned. This can also be over-exaggerated and you could think you are burning more than you are. For example, 30 day shred only burns roughly 120 for me in 20 minutes (with heartrate monitor) where someone taller and heavier could easily burn twice that. It's all about finding the balance of how much you are REALLY eating and how much you are REALLY burning. Hang in there, you really are doing great in 5 months!