runners: foot strike and shoes

Options
I'm currently working through a bout of IT band syndrome from overuse- namely from my foot strike pattern as my chiropractor has informed me. I was told to not stop running altogether because I need to strengthen the IT band, but need to change my gait while working through lower mileage runs.

My old chiropractor (as I've discovered he was a joke...) told me I have to run with a heel to toe strike in order to effectively run long distances so I switched my strike early last year (previously I was running more on the balls of my feet). I've been doing okay until the last two months in which my outer knee started having some real issues and high mileage runs were not happening.

This last week after taking a break from running I start back up, but have switched focusing on using a mid-foot strike. I feel like my gait is so much smoother and the impact doesn't jostle my knee as much and yesterday I did 4 miles without much pain.

My question is, distance runners (10k and above) what kind of strike do you use? What are the advantages over the others?
Also, I currently use Asics Kayanos, but have seen some research that mid-foot strike is helped a lot with the use of minimal shoes. I have no interest in the Five Fingers, but am interested in a minimal shoe that forms to your foot. I have a pair of minimal hiking shoes that I LOVE from Merrell's, but they are not meant for running. What are some good brands of minimal shoes? Do you think they're worth it? If I were to use them, I would switch over slowly as I've heard you can't just jump into running in those for long distances.

One last question.... I'm hoping to run a half marathon in the end of May, with my knee issues, should I continue pursuing it or wait for another half later in the year as I rehabilitate my IT band? I can run 8 miles right now if I'm 100% pain free, but that's not happening currently. Thoughts? Thanks for your advice in advance! :)

A few other notes: I go to a chiropractor pretty regularly for adjustments in general and for injuries, I do use foam rollers, using resistance bands to help strengthen the IT band (chiro suggestion), ice my knee regularly, and wear an active knee compressor while I run as well. The foam roller and resistance bands are the newest additions to my stretching routine.

Replies

• wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    For easy and long runs I do have a slight heel strike, but very close below my center of gravity at contact. If I didn't know otherwise I would tell you it's a midfoot landing, but I do know better (and have the pictures to prove it). I run in traditional shoes, and the heel to toe drop is likely the reason it feels midfoot but is actually heel.

For racing I wear flats and there, with the faster pace and longer strides, it is a midfoot landing which moves to forefoot in the push at the end.

Brooks has a nice line of shoes (PureFLow, PureCadence, etc.) that while not truly minimal are light, low drop and less structure. We are all individuals so they may or may not be right for you.

I battled ITBS years ago. FWIW, once I found the right shoes and form for me, it went away almost immediately. I went from having it flare up about 3-4 miles into a run to being able to train for and run a marathon 6 months later with no ITB pain during training. That did require getting the ITB past the acute stage, but after that it was fine.

If you solve your root cause (ITBS can have many) and let the inflammation go away your half is not out of the question.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Its kind of weird that anyone would suggest switching to a heel strike if you weren't having pain in the first place, but, diving in...

Foot strike is just one part of overall mechanics. You should do what you do. If you normally mid/forefoot strike, go back to doing that. Changing up foot strike willy-nilly if you aren't having pain is basically asking for issues. I have a forefoot strike, but that's me. I know several incredibly good ultra runners (like, have won their way into Western States good), who will heel-strike their way to a 100 mile win. Like I said, its just one part of your stride.

As far as what shoe you need, just one that feels right with your natural stride. Forcing yourself into a zero-drop shoe (such as vibrams or Altras) when you're already having injury issues may not be the best decision. However, one of the more minimalist-style shoes with a lower drop (~4mm rather than 12mm - like the Brooks Pure Series) may help you transition back to your natural stride. I would go to a good running store in your area and spend some time talking with the staff about your goals and trying on shoes.

As far as running a half in May, it depends. If you get over your IT issues shortly, you could build up to 10 mile runs, and run it, but your probably wouldn't have your best performance. If you want to finish, its doable, but if you want to race, I would hold off. Halves are plentiful, no need to rush it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge proponent of mid-foot striking. I feel proper form can greatly reduce the chances of running related injuries.

I run in several different pairs of shoes, because I like buying shoes :)
    I think some better definition needs explained because "minimalist" shoes can cover a broad range. The 2 main components are heel drop & cusioning.
    the closer to a zero heel drop, the better for a more natural mid foot strike, But this puts a lot of stress on your calves that most people aren't used to. I've seen shoes with a low heel drop and some cushioning still called minimalist. I think of minimalist as Vibrams, merrel gloves, the NB minimus, etc. 0 heel drop and no cushion.
    The 0 heel drop takes time to adjust calves and other small muscles/tendons that arent used to being used. The no cushion part takes time to get the bottoms of your feet accustomed to the pounding. It takes a lot of time and greatly reducing the distance you run to make the transition. But I think in the long run it makes youre legs stronger & more resistent to injury.
    AS for whether you should run your half,,,that's a tough one, as now that you have a plan for fixing the IT band, you might be fine. But as you ramp mileage, you might make it worse. Tough call.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Chiropractic is a joke. See a podiatrist, sports physiologist, or orthopedist.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    agree that chriopracitic practice is not a real doctor.

and a good one would probably tell you that you shouldn't have to see them 'religiously'.

I'm not a runner but i am interested in this question. I have to land on my forefoot other wise it destroys my knees.

and from a purely orthopedic stand point, i've got to think that if you land on your heals then your knees and lower back are going to absorb far more of the shock then if you landed on your forefoot and forced your ankle to bear a good deal of stress.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

I disagree- my current chiro has fixed many issues I've had in faster time than an ortho I went to awhile back. He just told me to take aleve everyday because there weren't any bone issues and didn't think that my hip needing anything done- that it'd go back to the way it was after some rest... and it didn't. But I'm not going to argue anymore of that.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Look into Chi Running. I was about to give up on running completely I was in so much pain. Changed my strike from heel to forefoot, and wear minimalist Newton Running with 0 drop. And now I can run :)
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I swear by my Merrell minimalist shoes with a zero drop. I took the time to slowly transition and it was worth it. I spent a week using them for half the day just to walk in, and then started with short runs.

I do a midfoot strike and find my endurance has increased lately. Every 10 minutes or so I "check-in" with my feet to make sure I am still doing the midfoot strike, as I can revert to a heel strike sometimes.

I used to get a lot of knee pain after a run. The Merrells greatly cut down on it, and my new foam roller deals with it in a cinch. If I feel knee pain, I can usually resolve it in about 5 minutes with the roller.

Good Luck!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm a mid foot striker and run in VFFs. I know they're ugly, but I ran a marathon and several halfs with no problem in them. For weekend kicks I wear Merrell vapor gloves, which feel like the same as the VFFs, but they're cute.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

I disagree- my current chiro has fixed many issues I've had in faster time than an ortho I went to awhile back. He just told me to take aleve everyday because there weren't any bone issues and didn't think that my hip needing anything done- that it'd go back to the way it was after some rest... and it didn't. But I'm not going to argue anymore of that.

not to trying to aggrivate you , but if he fixed it why do you keep needing to go back?

i had gone to one for low back pain and it seemed to help a little at first then nothing at all.

I'd imagine it works better for some injuries more so then others.

When my chiroprator told me that the doctrine hasn't changed since its inception in the 1800s, i was kind of surprised, becasue everything else in medicine has lol
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

One should be careful making such blanket statements.

My chiropractor is also a ART practitioner and physical therapist. His goal has always been to get me running without pain, not to keep me coming back and putting money in his pocket.

OP - Changing foot strike, as other have said, is really not suggested unless you have a flaw in your form. I think a more important exercise is to work on proper running form by doing form drills, minding your cadence and doing exercises to strengthen your core and hips. Doing these things will bring you to strike the ground as your body was designed to strike, thereby making you a more efficient, healthy runner.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Its kind of weird that anyone would suggest switching to a heel strike if you weren't having pain in the first place, but, diving in...

Foot strike is just one part of overall mechanics. You should do what you do. If you normally mid/forefoot strike, go back to doing that. Changing up foot strike willy-nilly if you aren't having pain is basically asking for issues. I have a forefoot strike, but that's me. I know several incredibly good ultra runners (like, have won their way into Western States good), who will heel-strike their way to a 100 mile win. Like I said, its just one part of your stride.

As far as what shoe you need, just one that feels right with your natural stride. Forcing yourself into a zero-drop shoe (such as vibrams or Altras) when you're already having injury issues may not be the best decision. However, one of the more minimalist-style shoes with a lower drop (~4mm rather than 12mm - like the Brooks Pure Series) may help you transition back to your natural stride. I would go to a good running store in your area and spend some time talking with the staff about your goals and trying on shoes.

As far as running a half in May, it depends. If you get over your IT issues shortly, you could build up to 10 mile runs, and run it, but your probably wouldn't have your best performance. If you want to finish, its doable, but if you want to race, I would hold off. Halves are plentiful, no need to rush it.

Have to agree with this...the jury is still out on what is the best strike to have..I am a forefoot to midfoot striker (usually depends on my energy level). Ive tried the heel strike and found it altered my pace and gait tremendously.

As far as the shoe, yea a shift in heel drop may be asking for trouble..youll have to be careful with it. get the shoes from a place like Road Runner sports that will let you run in them and return if they dont suit.

But it may not be a striking problem either..could be in your lower leg chain,,might need to work on strengthing from the hips down.
  • crystalfisher89
    Options
    I swear by my Merrell minimalist shoes with a zero drop. I took the time to slowly transition and it was worth it. I spent a week using them for half the day just to walk in, and then started with short runs.

I do a midfoot strike and find my endurance has increased lately. Every 10 minutes or so I "check-in" with my feet to make sure I am still doing the midfoot strike, as I can revert to a heel strike sometimes.

I used to get a lot of knee pain after a run. The Merrells greatly cut down on it, and my new foam roller deals with it in a cinch. If I feel knee pain, I can usually resolve it in about 5 minutes with the roller.

Good Luck!

What style of Merrell's are they exactly? I'd like to look into them. I've been pretty impressed with my Merrell hiking shoes so i'd love to see what these are like.
  • crystalfisher89
    Options

not to trying to aggrivate you , but if he fixed it why do you keep needing to go back?

i had gone to one for low back pain and it seemed to help a little at first then nothing at all.

I'd imagine it works better for some injuries more so then others.

When my chiroprator told me that the doctrine hasn't changed since its inception in the 1800s, i was kind of surprised, becasue everything else in medicine has lol

It's fine, I understand your questioning. I go regularly because I like to get regularly adjusted- just being proactive in reducing injuries. I was having hips issues and then my IT band flared up this year. My chiro is also a physical therapist and does acupuncture as well and I've seen a lot of improvements in regards to my hip and my knee is getting better. . I feel comfortable going to her because up until two months ago I was going to someone else who I was getting no changes from.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have gradually shifted from heel to mid-foot and run much better and faster as a result. I used to run in Asics, but now use Brooks Pure Cadence. They are much lighter and are more suited toward mid-foot runners.

I have tried VFFs and I loved them. They truly "teach" you to run on the front pad of your feet, however I found a problem with them. The webbing between the VFF toes was not the right length for the gaps between my toes, and as a result the material was pinching/damaging a nerve that later caused intermetatarsal neuroma and I had to have foot surgery to remove the nerve. So now I only wear my VFFs as sandals.

A big tip is to check yourself every mile marker. Are your arms swinging properly, is your posture correct, how are your feet landing. Also, make sure you stretch and use a roller to minimalize any muscle soreness and potential injuries.

I'd hesitate to run a half marathon in May if you are having knee issues. Better to heal completely than rush and injure yourself further. Simply my opnion based on my own experiences.

Hope this helps, although it is not much more than what everyone else has already said.

Mike
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

My chiropractor is also a ART practitioner and physical therapist. His goal has always been to get me running without pain, not to keep me coming back and putting money in his pocket.

Chiropractic is a joke.
    It was founded in the late 1800s by a magnet healer under the theory that diseases could be cured by manipulation of the spine.
    Throughout the last century they have continually retreated in the face of their practicing unlicensed medicine, retreating into the hazy world of alternative medicine.
    There is no scientific (in this context, please read that as factual, repeatable and verifiable) basis for the efficacy of any chiropractic treatment.

This doesn't mean that I think your friend is a bad person, though, I don't know him.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm a mid-foot striker. My day to day running shoes are Brooks Green Silence, which are racing flats. As you can see, I'm also working my way up to Vibrams, but I don't think they'll ever be a daily shoe. However, I also use Brooks Adrenaline, which are a standard support model recommended in a running shop. I think swapping between them might help prevent injury, just as you'd never wear the same pair of shoes to work every day.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Chiropractic is a joke.
    It was founded in the late 1800s by a magnet healer under the theory that diseases could be cured by manipulation of the spine.
    Throughout the last century they have continually retreated in the face of their practicing unlicensed medicine, retreating into the hazy world of alternative medicine.
    There is no scientific (in this context, please read that as factual, repeatable and verifiable) basis for the efficacy of any chiropractic treatment.

This doesn't mean that I think your friend is a bad person, though, I don't know him.

I'll continue to base my opinion on the results, not what you can Google. If I go in to see him with pain in my foot and I see him 8 times and am prescribed exercises to fix the issue in addition to the corrections, ART and Graston, and the pain goes away and doesn't come back...well then that's no joke.

This has been my experience on 4 separate occasions over the past 10 years where, through my own stupidity and age, my over training has resulted in injury. In all 4 cases, my experience was exactly what I stated above.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Chiropractic is a joke.

I'll continue to base my opinion on the results, not what you can Google. If I go in to see him with pain in my foot and I see him 8 times and am prescribed exercises to fix the issue in addition to the corrections, ART and Graston, and the pain goes away and doesn't come back...well then that's no joke.

This has been my experience on 4 separate occasions over the past 10 years where, through my own stupidity and age, my over training has resulted in injury. In all 4 cases, my experience was exactly what I stated above.

sounds like the PT worked well for you, but if he didn't touch your spine then i wouldn't ascribe any of your healing to the fact that he is a chiropractor.

while i'm not a fan of chiroprator's, the fact that my insurance at least partially covers them is enough to make me feel safe that they are not just traveling snake oil salesmen lol
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Good Luck!

What style of Merrell's are they exactly? I'd like to look into them. I've been pretty impressed with my Merrell hiking shoes so i'd love to see what these are like.

Mine are the Glove. Although Merrell updates and improves there shoes fairly often, I don't think the version I have is available. I am looking to purchase another pair. I wear these without socks, so they need regular washing, and I want a second pair so I don't have to wait for them to dry.