Birth control making me gain weight? Anyone else?

Options
anyone on a specific kind of birth control that doesnt make them gain weight?? Im on the implanon and after the first year I began to just pack on the pounds!

Replies

• susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    I am on the copper IUD, Paragard. No hormones, so it doesn't affect my ability to lose weight at all. I've been on the depo provera shot at two different times in my life, and I gained a LOT of weight while on that.

ETA: The last time I was on depo provera, I counted calories religiously and exercised 5 days a week and didn't lose a single pound in a month. Doing the exact same thing I was doing before, I've lost 21 pounds in the last 54 days.
  • Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I had good luck with Ortho Tri Cyclen, I never gained on that. I had this one brand before I had insurance and literally no lie I tried it for a month and in that month I gained 20 lbs. I could not get my jeans over my thighs. Some do it really bad!!! But I agree with the copper IUD. Good things from that also.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm on depo provera. The shot itself didn't make me gain weight - the appetite increase did. I gained 10 pounds, but that was shed quickly after beginning exercising and watching what I eat. (I can't help as far as other medications go; my doctor won't allow me to take the pills since my blood pressure is crazy high!)
  • hnsr1021
    hnsr1021 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am currently on trinessa (ortho tri-cyclen) and I have not had any problem with weight gain or having trouble losing weight. Or at least so far... I had Mirena(iud) and I gained about 30 lbs in the 4 years that I had it.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I recently had essure done due to the fact that hormonal birth control was no longer an option for me. I put on 35 pounds in two years with water retention fluctuating around 10 pounds. Blood pressure was so elevated that it caused a heart murmur. I dropped ten pounds immediately and 3 & 1/2 inches the first week and have since lost 5 more inches.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I gained a TON of weight on Depo-provera. Yeesh. Like 20 pounds. Do not recommend. I am on a low hormone dose of the pill and I have no trouble maintaining/losing weight on this particular pill.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    I recently had essure done due to the fact that hormonal birth control was no longer an option for me. I put on 35 pounds in two years with water retention fluctuating around 10 pounds. Blood pressure was so elevated that it caused a heart murmur. I dropped ten pounds immediately and 3 & 1/2 inches the first week and have since lost 5 more inches.

I had the essure procedure done, too. Unfortunately, it didn't block my tubes like it was supposed to. Grr! Had to have the copper IUD placement to ensure I don't get pregnant. :/
  • Goofyrunnergirl
    Options
    I'm on the pill (Seasonique) and I am wondering if it is playing a part in my struggle to lose the last few pounds.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about it. No one BC pill (or any medication for that matter) effects all people the same. Also, as someone else eluded to, it is a myth that BC pills make you gain weight. You may have increased appetite but if you can get that under control and stay within your allotted calories, you won't gain. Any slight gain is likely due to water weight and shouldn't be more than a few pounds - no biggee.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    BC itself does not cause weight gain calories in>calories out causes weight gain.

BC can cause an increase in appetite but if you count calories weight your food and log accuratly you wont gain.

I have been on depo and Mirena for 15 years...before that various pills and those pills since I am older were a lot heavier in hormones than they are now...

the only time I gained weight was when I ate too much and didn't move enough.
  • catsandtats
    catsandtats Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been on several different hormonal birth control pills (ortho cyclen, ortho tricyclen, desogen, yaz...I can't even remember them all anymore, lol!). What I've found is that so long as I am adhering to my nutrtion and exercise plan, no pill in particular causes me to gain weight.

However, different pills do cause different reactions in me that influence my behavior with respect to my adherence to my nutrition and exercise plan...water retention, energy level, appetite, and mood-swings in particular and usually for the worse. So, for example, when I feel low, bloated, and tired, it's a whole LOT harder to pass on a treat and some time in sweatpants on the sofa and that (again, for me personally) is what can contribute to weight gain. The best way I've found to combat this is just brute willpower in adherence to my plan. Also, for what it's worth, at this point in my life I'm considering permanent non-hormonal birth control because hormonal birth control is starting to cause more problems than it's worth for me (not just weight gain issues but other side-effects too).
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The birth control pill, because it shuts down ovulation (that's what it is designed to do) basically eliminates one's progesterone production, which peaks at ovulation. That is a metabolic problem as estrogen, when it is not opposed by progesterone, brings a host of problems (including a long-term threat of reproductive cancer). Estrogen blocks the uptake of iodine, which is essential to the proper functioning of the thyroid gland. In addition, estrogen actually cuts the efficacy of thyroid hormone at a cellular level. Progesterone, on the other hand, enhances the activity of thyroid hormone, at a cellular level.

Weight gain on the pill is nearly inevitable for women who have a tendency to high estrogen levels. It is because the pill effectively removes the source of progesterone (and the synthetic progestins in the pill don't count because they don't have the same effect as natural progesterone). What is worse, estrogen opposes testosterone which is essential to maintaining lean body mass. In addition, we have a "hyper-estrogenic" environment because of pollutants in our food, water, and air. These pollutants, called "xenoestrogens" act as powerful estrogenic compounds in the body and further accelerate the metabolic havoc that unopposed estrogen creates.

Not a pretty picture, but there it is. If the pill causes you weight gain (and don't believe anyone who says that it doesn't, because it clearly does in a LOT of women) then you need to find another method of birth control. The copper IUD is one way but it carries its own problems for many women.

ETA: Oh, and one more "benefit" from too much estrogen is that it increases appetite. :frown: They COULD have put natural progesterone in the birth control pill, but they did not because you cannot patent a natural substance. Apparently the long-term health of women is not a very high priority for the drug companies---or the government which is supposed to be concerned about the health of their citizens.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

I had the essure procedure done, too. Unfortunately, it didn't block my tubes like it was supposed to. Grr! Had to have the copper IUD placement to ensure I don't get pregnant. :/

I was actually wanting the IUD just to avoid the need for anesthesia and the healing process but I had a very hard time finding anyone who would place one. I kept getting told that they "opted not to use the copper IUD due to heavier periods." I kept thinking really? Hormonal birth control can reek havoc on a woman's body but you stop using the copper IUD because of heavier bleeding... I have another two months before finding out if mine took correctly.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I've on Lo Loestrin Fe for the past 3 years, and it is not been the cause of any weight gain.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    BC itself does not cause weight gain calories in>calories out causes weight gain.

BC can cause an increase in appetite but if you count calories weight your food and log accuratly you wont gain.

I have been on depo and Mirena for 15 years...before that various pills and those pills since I am older were a lot heavier in hormones than they are now...

This. I've been on Depo for 12 years (after 8 years, did Mirena for year, then back to the Depo). I gained and lost weight just like I had before I was ever on them. I gained when I stopped tracking what I ate and stopped exercising so I can't consciously blame my gains on the birth control.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

The BC pill can very effectively lower the metabolic rate in many women through several different mechanisms. It is the "calories-out" part of the equation that gets messed up.
  • Tee_geee
    Tee_geee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ive been leaning towards the IUD but im afraid that they want give it to me because I dont have any children!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

The BC pill can very effectively lower the metabolic rate in many women through several different mechanisms. It is the "calories-out" part of the equation that gets messed up.

lower it to the point that their bmr is sub 1200 I highly doubt it...

the pill/depo/mirena/implants/rings/patches all use hormones...and increased appetite is a side effect...
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have the implant and the only thing I have seen is that it makes be more suspetible to the normal down swings of the cycle. When I'm down I eat more so I combat that with exercise to bring me up. I couldn't due the copper IUD because my periods are brutal and very painful.

I was on a low dose estrogen birth control when I went through round 1 of my weight lost last year. It didn't make me hungery but it did even out my moods making me easier to deal with.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Ive been leaning towards the IUD but im afraid that they want give it to me because I dont have any children!
    My experience with it was not good. I've also never had children and my uterus wasn't quite big enough for the Mirena (apparently the average size of your uterus if you've never been pregnant is a golf ball). If I bent over certain ways I could feel it poking. Not exactly painful, but really weird and definitely uncomfortable.

ETA: Not everyone has that experience, though. I would say give it a try and see for yourself if it's a good fit or not.