Looking for no equipment workouts

Options
I am looking for no equipment workouts in my dorm that can help me tone and burn calories.. I am a beginner and just need something to do in between classes that doesn't require heading up to the rec center to get on a treadmill. I hate getting on the treadmill, it makes me feel like a hamster on a wheel.
If anyone can make any suggestions or have someone on youtube that is good for beginners that would be great. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender channel on Youtube has incredible calisthenics, cardio, bodyweight and HIIT workouts that are bar none. I am addicted to them, no equipment and done anywhere.
  • cheryl0000
    Options
    Invest 20 bucks on SeanT's Rockin' Body - the DVD's are easy and fun - the first DVD has 4 work outs - from 15min to 45 min - and you pick the one you want to work with - the 2nd DVD has 3 intense abs & gluts workouts - all easy - all requiring only some floor space. He's fun and inspiring and even though I haven't seen a big move on the scale - I know I'm building muscle as my cloths fit differently. Good luck in your search.
  • suejersey
    suejersey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    fitsugar.com is a good place to start - they have lots of different workouts. Also skinnymom.com (even though it is for "moms" it has great, great exercises, routines, recipes).

In fact I didn't make it to the gym today because of work, so I am going to do this workout today at home.
    http://www.fitsugar.com/10-Minute-Butt-Workout-Video-34395604
  • chickauthentic
    Options
    Yoga - either dvd or you can find a bunch on youtube. Many styles to choose from to suit your needs. Also you can find the tibetan rites of rejuvenation on there. It's easy to remember and requires very little space and time to do. Good luck finding your thing!
  • lindzalexis
    lindzalexis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Try body weight circuits. I'm using the beginners program over at Nerd Fitness and I really like it. It takes about 15-20 minutes and I feel like a got a good overall strength workout. It's not a huge calorie burn, but I'm definitely feeling tighter even in just a few weeks.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    When I lived a dorm I used a pilates dvd. It was 10 minute workouts, but you can combine them to do more or less depending on how much time you have. It wasn't a huge calorie burn, but it did help with strength and tone. Plus, I was self-conscious about noise since I had neighbors in every direction, and with pilates I didn't have to jump around and both the people under me. And I only needed about a towel-worth of floor space. Now that I have more room I really like the Jillian Michaels dvds. Some require small hand weights, but you can get those very cheap or find something in your room that weighs a few pounds to use instead.
  • mpderksen
    Options
    http://www.crossfitsteelecreek.com/about/the-workouts/100-travel-workouts/
    As a triathlete and marathoner, who also does CrossFit, I can tell you that the single, fastest way to get fit is to run away from the treadmill. It's almost useless for losing weight. The mindless 30 minute shuffle doesn't burn enough calories to make it worth getting your shoes on. Most people can't run long enough not because their cardio is weak, but because their muscles are. I strongly recommend getting GOOD jump rope, like the ones at Rogue fitness online. The workouts in the link above seem almost too easy, but they aren't.
    Air squats are fantastically effective, and need nothing but a place to stand. Same with push-ups and burpees. The key is to go hard. I can bike for 5 hours straight, but but I've done 7 minute workouts like these that left me in a puddle on the floor and sore the next day.
    Do you want to have nice arms in a tank top this summer? Push-ups. Want toned legs in shorts? Air squats. Plus, and you strength improves, the muscle actually burns more calories even while doing nothing. It's metabolically active, while fat just sits there. Even if you don't lose a single pound, your body will be tighter, firmer, and look and feel better. Women tend to think they'll get bulky. Not true.
    Soft, skinny legs aren't attractive anyway. Toned legs and calves are much more appealing, in my opinion.
    Helpful?
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Walking is always a good form of exercise.:smile:
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • mgj77
    mgj77 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I disagree about the treadmill I love mine It also has set workouts that changes your incline But if you can get outside and walk that is even better to get fresh air and incorporate moves during your walk Good luck!
  • Mismis28
    Mismis28 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi! Here is the person who made me interested in health for some years ago: http://www.zuzkalight.com/ She has a load of free, short, bodyweight or minimal equipment workouts on her youtube channel and also a "internetgym" where you get access to even more of her workouts. As per results, her body speaks for itself, these are the workouts she does to keep that form :) I did her workouts for a long time, loved them, but then life happened and now I'm trying to do some Shaun T insanity, which btw also is great but it requires some more effort.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I do CrossFit and HIIT at home. Look on You Tube and Pinterest for some ideas. My go to session if my body is craving exercise and I dont have a lot of time is to follow. Some times I will even do it at work. It takes me about 30 minutes.

5 burpees
    10 hand release push ups
    15 crunches
    20 air squats

Complete 10 times!!! I will tear up 10 pieces of paper and wad them up when I am done with one set. It makes you feel good tearing up each piece of paper! I get a strange satisfaction out of that :)
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Hello I am kirstine.
    I am headded toward 52 this last year have lost 82 pounds. Then last week gained 3 pounds back. I have had my knee replaced for the third time this past Janurary and am still working on getting back to exercising. I have physcial therapy 3 days a week at home still have to use a walker to get around. I am looking for a workout to help with strengthening my knee muscles to bend my knee and become more mobile and still be able to loose weight that will push myself but will not make my knee issues worse any safe suggestions for a workout that is safe?
  • wylnora
    wylnora Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has some walking videos on YouTube. You can do a 1 mile, 2 mile, or even a 5 mile. My favourite is a 1 mile interval walk, and it's only 15 minutes long:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlEVVzbwnQI

:)
  • mochakochalatte
    mochakochalatte Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Pintrest has excellent at home workouts that gives me excellent results in 30 mins a day. Check it out!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Look up "Convict Conditioning" and "You Are Your Own Gym."
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Walk walk walk! And do some of the videos that people have suggested And I would suggest investing in some dumbbells.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    -Burpees
    -Bear crawling
    -Jumping jacks
    -Mountain climbers
    -lunges with weights
    -squats with weights
    -flutter kicks
    -planks
    -push ups
    -walking/jogging outside
    -sprints outside
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Look up "Convict Conditioning" and "You Are Your Own Gym."

^^This
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Ran D1 Track and Field in college and we were told to do the below on days where we were in hotels on travel, busy with finals etc. The key too it is to NOT stop, or take a long rest inbetween exercises. If you're going to workout 20min go the entire 20 min.

Sprint (not trot/or jog, or bounce) in place
    pushups
    wall sits
    plank
    high knees
    butt kicks
    jumping jacks
    tuck jumps
    burpees (google insanity level 1-3 drills)
    squats/lunges
    mountain climbers

Great thing about the above is if you do them often and well - you wont need a single situp.

BL on jogging and treadmills: if you're not either running or speed walking ie: getting your heart rate up you're wasting your time and putting unecessary stress and pressure on your body esp if you're not in shape already.

dailyhiit.com is also good and free