Looking for advice

Options
So, trying to get the fat down, realized I am over 200 now which is the most ive ever been, and thinking it is time to take this health thing a bit more seriously. Currently dont do any exercise and basicly sit all day. Not exactly sure what foods to eat, and normaly dont eat breakfast. I read both ways on if you should or shouldnt eat breakfast. I usualy eat a quick lunch to make (usualy involving frozen food an microwaves, such as burritos and such) and then dinner, which is from grilled meat to eating out (the eating out probably isnt helping) I love spicy food, usualy at unhumanly levels. For example, the sauce I use is 500000 scoville, sais to use a couple drops..... and I use about half-full eye dropper in a pint/quart of fried rice. Anyways, going to try to change a few things, and trying to get some advice on if I am on the right track, and some things that can help me get more on track.

Changes I plan to make:
Breakfast: two eggs with tobasco hot sauce

Lunch: Bowl of salad with dressing.... not sure how much dressing but will try to keep it so the salad isnt swimming in it Or maybe a sandwich, basic bread, ham... nothing else (quick to make, quick to eat)

Drinks: changing from soda, koolaid, milk, and such to water water and water hopefully... maybe try to get those squirt koolaid things that suposidly have no calories/sugar to hope keep a bit of flavor and variety.

Dinner: Not sure, this one usualy has to be a variety as I dont just cook for myself. Though I would be happy with just making spicy stir frys every night. Though, usualy, it is some kind of meat (pork chop, steak, chicken, ground beef) with a canned vegitable. Or spegetti/hamburgers.

Exercise: I dont plan yet to add this into my calorie counter thing, this way it is only including the calories I am eating, and the exercise is just a bonus to help balance out miscounting. Though the exercise I plan to do is atleast once... maybe twice a day, a brisk walk around the neigborhood. It takes me 10 minutes to walk up to the store, add a little detour to walk around the blocks instead of straight back and forth, and it should take me 25-30 minutes. Again, not adding this to my calorie counting, and instead using it as my ability to miscount, for example, suppose to have a cup of something, and i have a bit more then a cup because I am too lazy to actualy measure.

Again, looking for getting on the right track with things, and make something I can stick to every day. Not looking for complicated meals that have alot of different seasonings, and I would be happy literaly eating the same thing every day, if it was quick and easy to make.

Replies

• ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making a plan! That is the first step to getting there. I think your walking plan is a good place to start. As you get healthier and the walking gets easier you can start to work in other exercises. It would be wise to add some strength training in there too even if its only carrying small hand weights while you walk. You need to build muscle strength to obtain a well rounded health. Also increased muscle mass helps increase your overall metabolism and that will help with your weight loss. I have a very sedentary job which has helped me put on the pounds over the years. I've found little things help keep me moving like everytime I use the rest room I will do 10-20 jumping jacks while Im in there, or squats or something that gets me moving. Little things like parking farther away from the door and taking the stairs will help too. It all adds up.

Your breakfast sounds good. i would add a peice of fruit or maybe a slice of wheat toast just to round it out a bit.

For your salads check out dressings by Bolthouse farms. In my store they are found in a cooler by the fruits and veggies. It is a yogurt based dressing (doesnt taste anything like yogurt) they are delicious and a lot less calories than other dressings. It s a good idea to mix it up with the sandwhich's to keep it from getting old ;) tuna is a really good lunch idea as well. You can put it in a lettuce leaf and wrap it up to get a high protein low cal lunch. Just dont drown it in mayo. I add a little lemon juice to mine along with some dill pickle relish and onion. I dont know if you use Pinterest at all but I saw a post on there where you premake the salads in mason jars for the week and put them in the frige. then you can just grab and go.

For you dinners just make sure they are well balanced. If you can frozen veggies are better than canned (in my opinion) they usually taste better and have less sodium. Work on portion control and you will be able to still eat some of the not so good stuff without derailing yourself. Also allow yourself to have a cheat day once a week or so. It will help keep you from feeling deprived and end up giving up.

Good luck and remember its a lifestyle change so when you start feeling frustrated remind yourself why you are doing it :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    this is a pretty good post for beginners that will give you great tips and where people usually go wrong :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Make sure you set an appropriate calorie goal and learn to log as accurately as possible. As for everything else, it does not really matter as long as you stick to your calorie goals. Don't want to eat breakfast, thats fine, then you get a bigger dinner, or however you want to work it.

My advice would just be to try to get make some friends on here who have similar interests as you, and who have some experience with this site. They can help you set things up if you need it and give great advice along the way, and cheer you on too! If you want a friend feel free to add, I am sure lots more people will be responding to your post too so you will have plenty to choose from!

~best wishes
  • lindsayomalley
    lindsayomalley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So, trying to get the fat down, realized I am over 200 now which is the most ive ever been, and thinking it is time to take this health thing a bit more seriously. Currently dont do any exercise and basicly sit all day. Not exactly sure what foods to eat, and normaly dont eat breakfast. I read both ways on if you should or shouldnt eat breakfast. I usualy eat a quick lunch to make (usualy involving frozen food an microwaves, such as burritos and such) and then dinner, which is from grilled meat to eating out (the eating out probably isnt helping) I love spicy food, usualy at unhumanly levels. For example, the sauce I use is 500000 scoville, sais to use a couple drops..... and I use about half-full eye dropper in a pint/quart of fried rice. Anyways, going to try to change a few things, and trying to get some advice on if I am on the right track, and some things that can help me get more on track.

Changes I plan to make:
    Breakfast: two eggs with tobasco hot sauce

Lunch: Bowl of salad with dressing.... not sure how much dressing but will try to keep it so the salad isnt swimming in it Or maybe a sandwich, basic bread, ham... nothing else (quick to make, quick to eat)

Drinks: changing from soda, koolaid, milk, and such to water water and water hopefully... maybe try to get those squirt koolaid things that suposidly have no calories/sugar to hope keep a bit of flavor and variety.

Dinner: Not sure, this one usualy has to be a variety as I dont just cook for myself. Though I would be happy with just making spicy stir frys every night. Though, usualy, it is some kind of meat (pork chop, steak, chicken, ground beef) with a canned vegitable. Or spegetti/hamburgers.

Exercise: I dont plan yet to add this into my calorie counter thing, this way it is only including the calories I am eating, and the exercise is just a bonus to help balance out miscounting. Though the exercise I plan to do is atleast once... maybe twice a day, a brisk walk around the neigborhood. It takes me 10 minutes to walk up to the store, add a little detour to walk around the blocks instead of straight back and forth, and it should take me 25-30 minutes. Again, not adding this to my calorie counting, and instead using it as my ability to miscount, for example, suppose to have a cup of something, and i have a bit more then a cup because I am too lazy to actualy measure.

Again, looking for getting on the right track with things, and make something I can stick to every day. Not looking for complicated meals that have alot of different seasonings, and I would be happy literaly eating the same thing every day, if it was quick and easy to make.

Great start with making a plan - it's important.The strongest 'word' in your journey should be self-control. You can have everything and anything but portion and self-control are what will keep the weight down. Based on your mean plan, I'll give you my 2 cents :)

"Breakfast: two eggs with tobasco hot sauce"

If you can, I think you should have 1 egg and 2 egg whites or 1 egg and 1 egg white, depending how hungry you are. Egg whites will save you calories and you really don't need the protein from both eggs, as you will most likely make up for it throughout the day.

"Lunch: Bowl of salad with dressing.... not sure how much dressing but will try to keep it so the salad isnt swimming in it Or maybe a sandwich, basic bread, ham... nothing else (quick to make, quick to eat)"

Salad - Try your best to stick with DARK greens, raw spinach is the most nutritious and low in calories! As for dressing, you should check out the light alternative of whichever dressing you deserve. You really shouldn't be using anything more than 2 tablespoons of dressing, that is pushing it. If you use a "liquid" dressing opposed to the creamy one, I find that it spreads more and you don't need as much. Put a lid on your salad and shake - voila! Add cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes or whatever you would like, those are good for you, too!

Sandwich - Stick with whole wheat. If you don't like whole wheat, try a whole wheat with honey, most brands make them. My favorite is Sara Lee Honey Wheat (45 calories a slice) or Fiber One honey wheat which is 50 cals per slice. Ham is very high in sodium so if you like turkey, I suggest "Thin n Trim Turkey Breast" from the deli. Maybe a little bit of Miracle Whip, ONE piece of cheese (American cheese unfortunately has MANY MANY calories) and stack on the greens, and veggies.

"Drinks: changing from soda, koolaid, milk, and such to water water and water hopefully... maybe try to get those squirt koolaid things that suposidly have no calories/sugar to hope keep a bit of flavor and variety."

WATER!!! Try and get away from kool aid and switch to skim milk or 1% at the very least. If you absolutely need juice, have some Crystal Light or light cranberry juice.

"Dinner: Not sure, this one usualy has to be a variety as I dont just cook for myself. Though I would be happy with just making spicy stir frys every night. Though, usualy, it is some kind of meat (pork chop, steak, chicken, ground beef) with a canned vegitable. Or spegetti/hamburgers."

Try and stick with lean meat and always fill half of your plate with greens and veggies!!!

"Exercise: I dont plan yet to add this into my calorie counter thing, this way it is only including the calories I am eating, and the exercise is just a bonus to help balance out miscounting. Though the exercise I plan to do is atleast once... maybe twice a day, a brisk walk around the neigborhood. It takes me 10 minutes to walk up to the store, add a little detour to walk around the blocks instead of straight back and forth, and it should take me 25-30 minutes. Again, not adding this to my calorie counting, and instead using it as my ability to miscount, for example, suppose to have a cup of something, and i have a bit more then a cup because I am too lazy to actualy measure."

Anything active is great. Go for a walk, take the stairs, park further away. If you really want a boost in motivation to walk, look into getting a FitBit to count your steps.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Baby steps......

Improve 1 meal at a time if you are feeling overwhelmed. After getting the food thing going, then add some activity. It can be anything that you enjoy. Moving more should not be a punishment. Cut yourself some slack. Everyday will not be perfect....just improve a little bit each day.

Whole foods give you the most bang for your calories buck To help stay longer (with fewer calories) look for protein, fat, and fiber.

I'm looking for permanent lifestyle changes. I'm not low carb (or low fat, or paleo, or gluten free)....because I can't do that for life. Everything in moderation is my goal. I still eat chocolate most days (albeit a small serving).
  • slade1122334455
    Options
    Apologies on how long it has taken to get back, and thank you all for the advice. I will definitely be giving this a solid try and hoping for the best. Think the hardest part will just staying on top of it, and as yall said said, self-control. It can be really easy to get lazy and go right back to old eating habits, or be lazy and not want to cook the meal, so you just go out and get something.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest adding some oatmeal, greek yogurt, fruit or whole grain toast to breakfast. You need some carbs to get you moving.

Adding some protein to your lunch will help keep you full longer. Chicken, tuna, cheese, hardboiled eggs, even bacon.

Dinner for me is a protein, veggies and one kind of carb. Chicken, green beans and potatoes or rice for example.

Most of all, give yourself time to learn. By reading posts here, reading blogs, browsing other nutrition websites etc you will learn a ton of stuff you can incorporate into your plan. The first couple of weeks here I was starving as I didn't know what to eat or when. It's so much easier now that I've gotten some experience with it.