Weigh-in frequency?

Options
How often do you all weigh yourself? I can be obsessive and weigh myself in the morning and night but am trying to break that habit. Any weigh in just once a week or do you feeling daily is better way to stay on track?

Replies

• _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day - straight out of bed. I don't normally log it though but once a week.

The trick is not to obsess over it. As long as you see progress over time, all is well.

You didn't gain the weight overnight - you certainly won't lose it that fast.
  • Tymeforme68
    Tymeforme68 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So very true
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    I weigh every day - straight out of bed. I don't normally log it though but once a week.

The trick is not to obsess over it. As long as you see progress over time, all is well.

Exactly this.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning on the same scale at about the same time. My Fitbit & MFP combo auto logs for me. I don't weight myself over the weekends because I ease up a little and know the weight will vary 5 lbs or so... Monday morning is usually when I see the biggest different in terms of a small gain due to eating out, eating differently over the weekend. I don't eat bad over the weekend but I do go out to dinner and allow myself a few snacks that I don't normally have. By Thursday or Friday morning I always see a loss. Don't obsess over the number... you could weight yourself five times a day and get five different numbers. Also, like the poster above me said, you won't gain weight overnight. Even if you were too eat very badly for two days, any weight gain as a result is most likely water/sodium/bloat, etc. which only takes a day or two to get out of your system. If you are the type who obsesses about the number I would recommend only weighing yourself once a week.
  • miissalexandria
    miissalexandria Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    yea I do the same thing. I do feel like I get a little obsessive when I weigh myself everyday, so I TRY to do it once a week.. but it's difficult. I do know that if I drink water or eat breakfast I won't weigh myself. I only do it after I wake and use the restroom.
  • Coltsatc
    Coltsatc Posts: 36
    Options
    I do it Saturday morning and Monday morning. I do my measurements Monday morning. I usually see a pound gain from the weekend cuz I tend to not count calories those days, but as long as it's a loss for the whole week, I'm happy and ready to refocus for the week.
  • Tymeforme68
    Tymeforme68 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great advice thanks. The scale is in the bathroom beside the vanity and I know I obsess about the number. One of the things I am working on along with increase of activity is to not think of a final # to work towards. Just want to feel healthy whatever that # turns out to be.
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh every other day or so, but only track it weekly. I also use a tape measure because I've been exercising and strength training a lot, so my weight goes down fairly gradually, but I've lost several inches already off my belly/hips/thighs. 8 pounds doesn't seem like much, but seeing the measurements on the tape go down is also very motivating :) Our eyes/brains often don't keep up with weight loss. I see myself the same, but everyone is commenting that I'm looking smaller - so use both, but put more trust in the tape measure and how your clothes fit than the scale.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I weigh and track every day, because I like data and numbers and like to see fun spikes and dips on the graph.

Then again, I am a giant (well, not so giant anymore :smile: ) nerd.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Once a week. If I did it more often, I'd drive myself crazy.

I weighed myself this past Saturday morning as I always do and was disappointed to see I had actually gained .2 lb. On Sunday morning, I stepped on the scale (still in PJs and everything; I normally weigh nude) just to satisfy my curiosity and I was down 1.4 lb from the day before. Of course I didn't lose 1.4 lb in one day, it was just a weight fluctuation, so I didn't log it. I won't weigh in again until this upcoming Saturday, so we'll see where I stand then. But it drove me crazy that the numbers were so different and I started wondering if my scale was broken. Nope, once a week for me is more than enough!

I don't understand the logic of weighing yourself multiple times a day, though.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning straight out of bed and naked for consistency :)
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    When losing the weight, i weighed once a week with a sneaky check in between. Now i'm maintaining i do it once a month.
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I can't help it, I step on that d*mn scale every time I am in the bathroom. The only time I really count it is in the morning though right before I eat breakfast.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Yep... me too. This way I get to feed my scale addiction but keep it real at the same time ;-)
  • sheindl52
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, first thing. But I have been using a weekly average to enter into MFP. Lots of day to day fluctuation, and I feel an average more realistically represents my progress (if any).
  • TikkittyTack
    TikkittyTack Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sometimes 3-4 times a day - particularly when I'm set on a goal weight to achieve.

At other times, barely once a week. Today was my first weigh-in in over a week and a half.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

me too...I have a withings and I just hop on and then go about my day. I find I can make small adjustments and get a feel for how my eating affects my weight. 5lbs to my goal weight! Weighing everyday is a recent change I made, and it's working.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning...everyday.
  • ExpectantHope
    ExpectantHope Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Once a week, first thing Monday morning. If I weighed anymore frequently then I'd probably become obsessed with it.
  • kroonha
    kroonha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I used weightgrapher.com and logged my weight after getting out of bed in the morning and emptying my bladder.
    I found myself getting too annoyed at unexplained fluctuations so I decided to shun my scale for one month, keep up my normal routine of calorie counting and exercise and see how much I weigh in a month. Yesterday was the first morning without weighing myself and it was annoying, but today I didn't even think about it. Hopefully I will have made some nice progress in four weeks :)

But as others have said: if the general trend is downwards, then small fluctuations should not matter so much. It is a lot easier on your mental health to cut down the weighing if you are affected by it.