I just signed up for a Triathlon

Options
I can not believe that I just signed up for a triathlon. The date is Sept 6th so I have plenty of time for training but I still can't believe I hit the complete registration button. I knew this was the one that I wanted to be my first and it sells out pretty early so I just went ahead and registered.

My first goal before I really start any sort of training plan is to get rid of the weight that I put on over the winter. I know once the weather gets better and I can bike to work it won't be so hard but with expected snow this week I don't know when I can break the bike out.

So any advice anyone has would be great.

Thanks

Replies

• alyssa_6481
    alyssa_6481 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first Tri this summer as well (a sprint length).
    I have just been googling "beginner triathlete training programs". There is a lot of advice and information out there! I am planning on doing a 22 week training program. I have a little more weight I would like to lose as well but not enough to be concerned about starting training before taking it off.

Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    With any luck you won't need to use it very long but......consider getting a trainer for your bike (Kurt Kinetic, Tacx etc etc) - with one of these you can ride your own bike all year 'round and with some of the videos on youtube (or Spinervals) you can keep up your bike fitness.

Without knowing much about how much running, biking or swimming you do it's hard to get too specific other than.......run more, bike more and swim more (the coach at my tri club loves the word specificity).

When the weather permits getting out on your bike (I'm dying to get out too but it was -16°C this morning) try some brick workouts (bike ride followed immediately by a run) as a way of getting your mind wrapped around the idea (your first couple of bricks may be comical.....I recall having legs like rubber the first time). Watch some videos on transitions to get tips on organizing your kit and then practice the routine, it becomes one less thing to think about on race day.

Is there a tri club where you live? If yes you might want to consider joining, I belong to the Ottawa Triathlon Club and we have members at every level (from duffers like me to people doing Kona) and I've found the more experienced triathletes to be very generous when it comes to sharing what they've learned.

Have fun!
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi, there are plenty of triathlon training plans available free on the internet (Google it). My advice would be enjoy it, I have been doing triathlons for several years now (and did my first sprint of the season last week) and the reason I keep going is because they are so much fun. Don't stress yourself out about times and things to begin with, just try your best and if you like it you can concentrate on the times and things later. The post above suggests brick training (bike to run) and I would definitely second that, the more prepared for jelly legs you are the better!

CONGRATULATIONS!! You are going to love it!
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm part of the, "Holy shiat I actually signed up" club.

My main goal will be to not drown. Secondarily - finish.
  • gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. This is something I've been wanting to do for awhile and I know that since I signed up and paid it will make me work a little harder.