What is the "cardio trap"?

sodakat
sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
I read a post the other day that I now cannot find. Regardless, the gist of the particular post that struck me was that it took them a long time to figure out how the weight loss thing works and they weren't really on their way until they got out of the cardio trap, or something to that effect.

So, I've been thinking about this and wondering exactly what they meant. I assume it has something to do with over doing it running/walking when eating in a deficit, but would like to know more and especially what type of exercise works better with eating in a deficit than cardio.

Thanks!

Replies

• DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    I don't know the post you are talking about, but it could mean incorporating strength/resistance training so you don't lose as much muscle mass along with fat.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    It was probably about not getting in the mindset that you should do endless amounts of cardio to hit/until you hit your goal weight. Adding in some resistance training (progressive bodyweight or progressive lifting, not endless reps of low weight) typically helps on retain muscle mass while losing fat which often results in a better look post-weight loss than cardio alone does.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    My weight loss really took off and started going well once I cut down on my cardio and started lifting more.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    The "cardio trap" probably refers to steady state cardio, which your body adapts to. You will end up not burning as many calories in the long run, and your body will retain everything you want it to get rid of.

That's why a lot of people these days are getting great results which is a max challenge to your body done in intervals. Also, lifting weights.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    My guess is the cardio trap is the falsehood that cardio burns fat. A calorie deficit burns fat. Strength training allows you to retain muscle and lose more fat when in a deficit.

Many of my friends think if you are fat, you have to do cardio and that lifting makes you bulky. Simply a fitness myth.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    I'm not sure exactly what post you're speaking about either, but like others have said, it was probably the idea that the more you increase cardio, the more your body gets used to it, and in the long run, you can damage your metabolism (this happened to me). It's important to build muscle with strength training to continue to increase your metabolic burn.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    My weight loss really took off and started going well once I cut down on my cardio and started lifting more.

^this, I am reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women, and it makes so much sense. This book might literally change my life!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Also, alot of women find that cardio helps alot with weight loss because they can burn alot of calories doing it but when they do finally hit their goal weight they still do not loot the way they want, so they start lifting to tighten everything up. That might be part of the trap refered to as well?
  • Thimbelinda
    Thimbelinda Posts: 34 Member
    I read something similar that if you do the same cardio over and over your body gets more efficient and over time you would burn less calories doing the same exercise.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    It was probably about not getting in the mindset that you should do endless amounts of cardio to hit/until you hit your goal weight. Adding in some resistance training (progressive bodyweight or progressive lifting, not endless reps of low weight) typically helps on retain muscle mass while losing fat which often results in a better look post-weight loss than cardio alone does.

This!^

Some people assume to lose weight that cardio is the only game in town and that they only need to strength train after they are at goal. But we have to strength train to KEEP existing muscle mass while on a diet. Sure it doesn't burn as many calories....but the benefits are huge.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Also, probably, the concept of using too much cardio in order to eat more.

It is best to include strength AND cardio, and to do it for fitness, not primarily to "earn" more calories. (Of course sometimes we will all work out a little extra if we know we have a special meal coming up. I am talking about more of a pattern.)
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Increasing your activity levels generally can never be a bad thing. I use exercise calories to supplement my calorie goal otherwise I'd go over far more frequently, but some people will do hours and hours just to burn extra fat which isn't sustainable. A variety of different activities including some strength/resistance is probably the way to go.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Thank you all for the insight!