To open diary or not to open???

Options
Hello everyone! So, I would like to add more active friends to my list to help with motivation etc.. what are the advantages/disadvantages to having an open diary vs. closed??

btw, anyone can add me if you are active on mfp and serious about this journey!!! :smile:

Replies

• Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I prefer friends with an open diary so I can get meal ideas. I keep my diary open to keep myself accountable to more than myself.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    It's all personal preference. I leave mine open because I try to log everything, including days that I drink beer and eat whatever I choose and still stay within my calories. This can be helpful to remind myself and others that it can be done. People may get some good food ideas from your diary and vice versa. It boils down to if you are comfortable with people possible commenting on what you ate.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Keeping mine open helps me to be even more accountable for what I eat.
  • willtrainforchocolate
    Options
    I've never locked mine. It helps to be open, on both good and bad days. xx

It is up to you though, sweets. x
  • NikiaSue
    NikiaSue Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I prefer friends with an open diary so I can get meal ideas. I keep my diary open to keep myself accountable to more than myself.

^^ yep
  • shayla0302
    shayla0302 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I opened mine. At first I was a little nervous about doing it because I didn't want anyone to judge what I was eating. This really makes me aware of what I'm eating.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    The only reason I can think of to keep it closed would be if you are sensitive to people commenting. They are helpful to me because I get food combination ideas and especially to learn about foods I haven't thought of trying. I really appreciate it when people leave their diary open to everyone, not just their friends.
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I prefer an open diary because if I don't know what people are eating how can I offer any advice? If people can't see what I'm eating, same thing. I appreciate it when my MFP friends point out that I need to drink more water or eat more veggies. I often only concentrate on the final calorie count and don't think about the balance between carbs, protein and fats. I try to always offer just friendly suggestions, never critical comments.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. Some open it up to get help and ideas from other members. You could first open just to your friends. Once you get comfortable then make it public.
  • demartz
    demartz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Closed.

The last thing I'd want is my insurance company coming back to me and saying I am not eligible for a "reduced" premium because last year I ate too much ( Fat / Sugar / Meat / FoodVillainDuJour ) . Next thing they'll be saying is they won't cover X because I consumed Y.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Some people keep theirs open because they'll make better choices if everyone can see what they're eating. Some people keep theirs closed because they tend to not be honest when everyone else can see, or they're trying to recover from an eating disorder and don't want people freaking out on them on their bad days. Add friends who don't mind whatever option works best for you.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to push me to make healthier choices but my diet is far from perfect. I like getting meal ideas from others and like sharing what I have eaten. No one is judging you and we are all here to support one another. The only issue depends on wether or not an open diary will affect your honesty in logging. I am on here every day of you want to add me.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I'm going against the flow here- mine is closed. It used to be open, and I found myself not being completely honest. Being afraid of judgement, criticism, as well as wanting to keep up the appearance of doing well overpowered my ability to be honest with my diary. I am much more comfortable with my diary closed, and it's really been a good thing for me; it was a bit shocking when I started being really accountable to myself.

I'd love to have an open diary, and show the world all my good days, give meal ideas to people and whatnot, but my vanity and pride get in the way. It's detrimental to my progress, so I keep it private.
  • fit4family12
    fit4family12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im thinking based on your replies, it would be more beneficial to leave it open.but to just my friends.. *may*even deter me from making bad choices... if i know ppl are looking at what im eating...lol.. ohh and i dont mind at all any comments on my diary, lol. no matter what .... thank you for your input!!!!!!:smile:
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I only keep my diary open for my MFP friends, and/or nutritionists/dieticians.

I would rather not receive unsolicited advise from whoever. While they may be well-intentioned, I've had issues trying to lose weight my entire life. I have a few dieticians who I trust with access to my food journal. I'd rather get advice from them.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed because it's an option. I like options. I'm honest with myself and track everything I eat, drink, and even track my vitamins or an occasional Advil. Weird that people think if it's closed you're lying to yourself??
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Mine's closed. To begin with it never occurred to me to open it, and since realising that other people open theirs, I've honestly never felt the need to have it open. I'm accountable to myself. Other people approving or disapproving of what I eat wouldn't be the slightest bit helpful to me.
  • MissKim78
    MissKim78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I had mine locked at first, but then unlocked it to friends. This way I am held more accountable for my choices and can also get advise on substitutions or better choices!
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I would rather not receive unsolicited advise from whoever. While they may be well-intentioned, I've had issues trying to lose weight my entire life. I have a few dieticians who I trust with access to my food journal. I'd rather get advice from them.

This ^^ Sometimes well-intentioned is still annoying.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open as an extra level of accountability, and because it really helps if you are looking for advice from the message boards. I would certainly feel a little embarrassed to admit I'd scarfed down a ton of my Taco Bell favorites, but if I kept it hidden, it'd be "my little secret"- kind of how things got going down the wrong track in the first place.