Better at home than at work

Options
Am I the only one who is having trouble holding consistent with my calories while I am work?

From the snacks (mostly unhealthy) available to the boredom.

I bring my own snacks to try to curb my appetite, but I have to admit...it doesn't always work.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• readgal89
    readgal89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Gum!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are bored get up and take a quick walk. You will come back feeling better and have burned a few calories too instead of eating them!
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I bring two .75 L Camelbaks to work everyday. When I'm really hungry I just chug water (sometimes with Crystal Light for flavour). :)
  • Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bring your own munchies - carefully measured out nuts, cheese sticks, etc. There are a lot of things that you can measure and take with you that are 100 calories or less. Just stay out of the break room, or take your snacks with you. I actually do better at work than at home!
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Here at my work we have chocolate bars and a small candy dish. I avoid the chocolate bars by not having money in my wallet to buy one! (That and $2 for even a king size is to much to begin with.) We also keep a small dish of candies for anyone who comes in. Now those candies are all low calorie ones. (I'm the one that buys them most of them time as I know what the clients who come in like!) However, I still bring an extra something from home to have in the afternoon when I am starting those things down and wanting to have one.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    OMG I thought I was the only one! It is so hard my job. I used sit my desk 8 hrs straight and just munch my whole shift. Not to mention there are always potlucks or people bringing in sweets and leaving them in the breakroom. Lately I've been bringing snacks like veggies and hummus, or a banana and yogurt, or nuts. I had to limit the amount of snacks I bring, and when its gone, its gone. I don't have this problem at home though. I guess because on the weekends I'm on the go. I hope everything works out for you!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I'm the total opposite. My eating is so predictable and easy at work because I plan and bring my food. Home is harder because I have so much more free time and delicious foods tempting me.
  • MissKim78
    MissKim78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite! I pack certain things to eat & snack on and stick to that while at work. I drink coffee with just a little milk and drink lots of water to help curb my appetite.
    When at home.....its another story! If I want it, I eat it...there's too much there to choose and not all good. LOL
    Good luck!!
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I pack my lunch/snacks everyday for work. Now since do low carb it is easier for me to just say no to the daily doughnuts and other junk folks bring in. In fact they stopped coming by my office with anything sugar or carb based.

That said I do have to make sure I have healthy snacks in case I work late and my lunch/snack are gone. I keep a small can of macadamia nuts and a bag of raw almonds from Costco. As long as you measure out the nuts I find 1/4 cup can actually be filling just give it a few minutes to hit your system. DON'T eat straight from the bag.

I also drink water and green tea at work. This helps too.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite; it's VERY easy for me to eat well at work. I have 1 rule: I only eat what I bring. So everyday, I bring

* coffee
    * 2 chicken caesar salads
    * strawberries
    * almonds
    * more coffee

I space out my eating, and this keeps me sufficiently full so that I'm not even tempted by outside food. People bring in donuts all the time (and there's a coffee shop in the building), I just don't eat them.

As someone else mentioned, gum can also help.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    we have a club called deskercisers.. join in instead of eating .
    I go to the handicapped bathroom which nobody ever uses and do push ups.
  • JulieE1002
    JulieE1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get the urge to snack, I quickly run down and back up the stairs. I just tell people that I needed to use the copy machine downstairs! And there is just so much crap here - is all of this really necessary? NO and the temptation on some days is horrid. I do keep snacks at my desk - I always have a piece of fruit and some almonds. I'm going to be honest here - some days I just can't say no to a cookie. So, I get a cookie and I set it on a napkin on my desk. I make myself look at it for 30 minutes before I can eat it. You know what? Most of the time I toss it in the trash. :laugh:
  • LadyWeaselofVT
    LadyWeaselofVT Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Work was definitely a contributing factor to gaining weight. There are always delicious treats here and it's a stressful environment so sugar is particularly tempting. I don't always avoid the treats but I've been doing better by planning my food for everyday. I have a two high proteins snacks, a big salad for lunch and drink a lot of seltzer. I also go for a walk as soon as I finish my lunch because that's when I'm most tempted to grab a cookie. At home, I manage better because I'm calm and can find things I enjoy doing that distract me from food.
  • DJManos
    DJManos Posts: 220
    Options
    I'm the opposite! I pack certain things to eat & snack on and stick to that while at work. I drink coffee with just a little milk and drink lots of water to help curb my appetite.
    When at home.....its another story! If I want it, I eat it...there's too much there to choose and not all good. LOL
    Good luck!!

This is my problem. I do great at work because I pack in my own food but at home I just can't seem to stick with it. Weekends are the worst.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I'm the total opposite. My eating is so predictable and easy at work because I plan and bring my food. Home is harder because I have so much more free time and delicious foods tempting me.
    This is so me. Especially on the weekends.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, I'm much better during the week while I'm at work.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Before I stopped working to stay home with my children, I always had an easier time at work than at home. The solution was simple for me: bring only what I would need to eat while I was gone.
  • jimgatewood
    jimgatewood Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Don't have a problem at home or out. I believe it's focus. If you truly believe this lifestyle is for you, then it's simply a matter of right and wrong for you. Live it!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get the urge to snack, I quickly run down and back up the stairs. I just tell people that I needed to use the copy machine downstairs! And there is just so much crap here - is all of this really necessary? NO and the temptation on some days is horrid. I do keep snacks at my desk - I always have a piece of fruit and some almonds. I'm going to be honest here - some days I just can't say no to a cookie. So, I get a cookie and I set it on a napkin on my desk. I make myself look at it for 30 minutes before I can eat it. You know what? Most of the time I toss it in the trash. :laugh:

Respect!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    LOTS of water, bring your own snacks, eat a filling breakfast, drink green or black tea, unsweetened. When you're bored go for a short trip around the office.