balancing act

Options
How many of us out there are working full time, taking care of our kids and taking courses at night? I am finding it tough to get everything done. I get up before 5am so I can workout. Then work hard during the day. Get the kids to their activities, have dinner, try to study and then go to bed. With all this I am binging which I am guessing is due to the stress of doing too much?

Are others having these same issues? What have they done to succeed?

Replies

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't have kids, and I only work part time, but I do take classes at night and I am prone to binging.

Could you spend either Saturday or sunday with your kids in the kitchen getting a lot of prepwork for the week done? My boyfriend and I only get out weekends together, so we spend part of the weekend cooking and packing leftovers up.

hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    Hi, I am Jennie. I am also currently struggling with the balancing act. I work full time 7 to 5. I leave work and go straight to school from 5:30 to 9 pm 4 nights a week. The first two weeks I still managed my 5 am gym routine along with 2 hours of homework after school... Starting week 3 the exhaustion caught up with me. I have not been able to force my eyes open at 4:45 am to get to the gym. I have not struggled with binging but, I have not been eating properly (in my opinion). Instead of my previously structured pre-planned days it had turned into grabbing the healthiest option I could find on the run. This weekend I made it a point while grocery shopping to grab things that are easy for me to throw into a insulated bag and carry with me. A lot of friends recommended making meals on weekends... this doesn't work for me for a few reasons. 1. Weekends belong to my kids first and homework second. 2. I DO NOT use a microwave to reheat meals; in my opinion it changes the taste of the food and I don't like it. As far as working out goes... this is my first week that I am going to get at least 30 minutes during my 1 hour lunch break. That would give me 30 minutes for shower and travel time back to work. Though I would prefer my 60 to 90 minutes I figure 30 is better than nothing. I have also started doing random things in my office at the top of the hour. Examples are 1 minute of squats, 1 minute of crunches, 1 minute of push ups or planks. I know not everyone is comfortable doing this when someone could walk into the office... I am making myself a priority and the benefits outweigh my embarrassment. I honestly wish you the very best of luck. I KNOW how hard it is. In my opinion you have already won a HUGE battle by not allowing yourself to succomb to the excuses of "how busy you are". Congrats to you!!!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    How many of us out there are working full time, taking care of our kids and taking courses at night? I am finding it tough to get everything done. I get up before 5am so I can workout. Then work hard during the day. Get the kids to their activities, have dinner, try to study and then go to bed. With all this I am binging which I am guessing is due to the stress of doing too much?

Are others having these same issues? What have they done to succeed?

Totally know how you feel. I have eliminated my binge foods from my house. I keep small snack sized treat items around, and stick to those.