Bra/Boob/Chest question for woman

Since August I have lost 56lbs. I never ever did measurements, but solely relied on the scale to monitor my weightloss. Anyway, I have went down in pants size. I went from a 20 to a 14. All I have done is count calories and do cardio. My question is my chest has not changed. Well, maybe it has changed a little. My bras still fit. Well, not entirely true. I went from a 40DDD or (40F) to a 38DDD (or 38F). The 38 is a little too tight and the 40 is a little too loose. So, my actual cup size hasn't changed. I have heard a lot of people lose their chest when they lose weight. I don't know if I consider myself fortunate or unfortunate. If I start adding lifting or strength training--then will the cup size go down? Or will it always just be the same cup size? I know. Crazy question.

Replies

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    I think it depends on your genetic body shape. For me personally, my boobs are the last place I lose weight (and the first place I gain weight) so even at my lightest weight ever (124 lbs in my early 20's), I was a 32DDD. Even now after losing 12lbs my bra bands are looser but the cups still fit the same. The opposite goes for "pear shaped" ladies - their hips are the first place they gain and usually the last place they lose.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Hard to say, and I'm guessing it may vary from person to person. I've gone down a band size, but not a cup size. But I did have to buy new bras - not just a smaller size of the same style but a completely different one with a different fit. Same with jeans - when I first started losing, I went out and bought the same jeans in a size down - they still didn't fit! As I've lost weight, my shape has changed as the inches have come off.
  • hugamime
    hugamime Posts: 11
    Cup size is relative to band width. (Ex: 32C and 34B are essentially the same size). Cup size is determined by the difference between your nipple and the width of where your band would rest. So it seems like you have lost some weight in your breasts, but in proportion to what you have lost elsewhere (otherwise your cup size would have increased slightly).
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    It varies from person to person. I have lost 3 cup sizes and two band sizes but one of my friends has lost a ton of weight but still has triple Ds. So it does vary by person.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    It depends on the woman, I think. I never lose mine, sadly, but I know there's some women that lose there first.
  • MissDevin
    MissDevin Posts: 608 Member
    I had lost about 40 pounds and I went from a 38DD to a 38DDD, and they're still growing.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Cup size is relative to band width. (Ex: 32C and 34B are essentially the same size). Cup size is determined by the difference between your nipple and the width of where your band would rest. So it seems like you have lost some weight in your breasts, but in proportion to what you have lost elsewhere (otherwise your cup size would have increased slightly).

This. I am a different cup size because my band went down but my boobs are the same size. To be fair tho, they couldn't possibly get any smaller without becoming concave! :grumble:
  • louise294
    louise294 Posts: 27 Member
    Fat is stored everywhere on the body, including our breasts, so as you lose weight your breasts will reduce too. I have experienced this first hand as a small-boob girl, going from a tight B cup down to a comfortable A cup. Personally though, I really don't have an issue with it, I'd rather be healthy and slim with small boobs than larger with bigger boobs. Health is the ultimate goal.
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    I think this is pretty individual - I started out at a 40GG (at 281) and have gotten smaller in the back but my breasts themselves are not any smaller, so I moved into 38Hs and now am starting to wear 36HHs.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    It used to always be the first place to go on me but my cup size has stayed the same this time. Not sure if it's a strength training thing or an age thing :/
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    I just want to be able to find pretty bra's. Right now I am buying the Playtex or Just My Size bra's when I actually see one that is in my size (Hard to find).
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member

Yes and no. When you get into the larger cup size (above D usually), the sizing gets really skewed. From what I've read and experienced, since larger breast aren't always as perky, the proportions don't work out right and the "sister size" bras do not fit properly. I'm a 34H and I have tried on many other bras in 36GG and the cups are too small and the band isn't snug enough.

From biggerbras.com
    "Cup size, band size and volume are huge factors when it comes to finding the right bra fit. Technically, a 38D and a 40C are sister sizes - they'll both technically fit around your body if you're in this size range. But the proportions are different in these two bra sizes, in spite of the fact that they're roughly equivalent. A 38D bra size has a bigger cup, while the 40C has a bigger band. The fact that these are sister sizes makes them roughly the same size, but the fit is very different."
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Sometimes I wish I was a dude. lol
  • b_ray_73
    b_ray_73 Posts: 110 Member
    The cup size goes up and down proportionate to the band size so a DDD will be larger or smaller depending on the rib circumference. Whether you go up or down in cup size will depend entirely on where you lose the fat though.
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    in because I saw the word "boob" in the title
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    It also depends on what your breasts are made out of - which sounds silly but if they are made up of fat then you can lose that, but if they are made up of the denser breast tissue, then you can't work to lose that. Everyone falls somewhere in between, it's just a matter of how much fat you had to start out with and how much of the breast tissue you had.

This is genetic and not something you can build or lose on purpose. It just is. Cardio and weight lifting also won't necessarily do anything to help them - there's no muscle IN your breasts to work out. You can work the muscles around your chest, but that does help with lift. It's really individual on what happens. For me, it was the first place I started losing weight, both my breast size and the fat on my back and sides so my band size dropped really fast, and cup sizes went down shortly after. But it really depends on the person.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    I find it varies a lot with the individual.

For me personally, I lose boobage when I lose weight, but I do so at a lesser rate. So, when I'm thinner, my boobs will be smaller, but look bigger (as I lost more fat from other areas of my body). Also, my band size goes down, which is the result of having less fat around my ribs and back.
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    I just want to be able to find pretty bra's. Right now I am buying the Playtex or Just My Size bra's when I actually see one that is in my size (Hard to find).

Your size should actually be pretty easy to find at Nordstroms or online - or a local specialty bra store (NOT Victoria's Secret). If you're in the US, Figleaves carry lots of stylish UK brands for larger busts. (Cleo by Panache is my personal favorite!)

I'd also recommend checking out Bravissimo's Fit Guide and the Sophisticated Pair Bra Calculator just to make sure that you're wearing the right size - a lot of women aren't, and there's a lot of misinformation floating around on the matter. I wore 40DDs for years because that was the size VS insisted I was - when in reality, it was just the largest size they carried at the time and could stuff me into.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Victoria's Secret somewhat recently expanded their sizes...up to 38DDD in some styles. (I think your OP said that's your size now, right?) they might not carry them in store though, may need to purchase online, so some trial and error will be involved.
  • MrsPaulSmith
    MrsPaulSmith Posts: 401 Member
    At 18 I was perfectly fit and had a 34 D (large rib cage). I got pregnant, and in losing weight after I dropped down to a 34 B. Then I got pregnant again, went up to a 36 DD and now that I am losing again I am down to a 34C. Sucks, but thats the way it happened.