Cereal Killer...!

Options
Hey All,

I'm new here but really enjoying using MFP - trying to lose a bit of weight and eat better (well, trying to lose around 20kg in total - 1 month in and 4kg down so far!).

Anyway, I know cereals aren't always that great nutritionally but what are the "best" breakfast cereals to eat if you are going to eat cereal? I've read that you should look for high fibre (5g plus per serving) plus low sugar (under 5g per serving) but I'm really unsure so any pointers would be great.

At the moment I'm eating Alpen and All Bran Bran Flakes - mainly because I like them...!

Also, any quick breakfast ideas would be appreciated too.

Thanks so much.

:)

PS. I'm in London.

Replies

• Angle47
    Angle47 Posts: 2
    Options
    If your looking for quick breakfast ideas, Egg beaters are a good way to go. I generally eat 15tbs which equals out to be 3 eggs every morning with about 4oz of Chicken or 99% Lean turkey breast seasoned to preference. Its actually a really good source of protein to start off your day. Or another great option is Healthy french toast. Just measure out 15tbs of Original Egg beaters, then get a healthy bread like Natural Oats Whole Wheat, Or Ez 4:9 breads, and take 4 pieces and dip them in the egg beaters, fry them up and then scramble the rest of the eggs left. You can find a Healthy Syrup like Great Values Light Syrup at Walmart to use It isn't all that bad and tastes pretty good, just 24g of Carbs
  • Angle47
    Angle47 Posts: 2
    Options
    Cheerios is a really healthy cereal to eat in moderation to answer your other question
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Fiber One cereals are pretty good, most contain 10g of fiber or more and taste pretty good. I don't like the cereal BARS, they can bloat you a bit with gas, but the cereal doesn't cause me any problems.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Unless you get sugar-free Alpen it's got tons of sugar and the portion size is tiny - try weighing our what they recommend. Bran Flakes don't taste sweet but also have a lot of sugar and, surprisingly, salt.

Porridge is a great cereal - full of soluble fibre and whatnot. I'm a bit fan of Quaker Oats "Oat So Simple" that you cook in the microwave in two minutes. I usually add half a spoon each of peanut butter and honey. Ingredients: oats. Can't go wrong!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    High fibre is good but also be aware that cereals contain very little fat and protein (these macros are the most satiating). So be sure to add plenty of milk if cereal is all you're having for breakfast.

Remember to look at your diet as a whole, no point having a breakfast that is spot on nutritionally if the rest of your diet is off.
  • somegirlinlondon
    somegirlinlondon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pointers, guys!

Holy moly! 10.5g sugar in one 45g serving of Alpen!! Gaaaaaah!

I do like porridge and Oats So Simple and feel I get a more steady run of energy from that so might go back to that. Will also try to mix things up occassionally with more egg/savoury type breakfasts too.

Keep any other ideas rolling in, much appreciated! :)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pointers, guys!

Holy moly! 10.5g sugar in one 45g serving of Alpen!! Gaaaaaah!

I do like porridge and Oats So Simple and feel I get a more steady run of energy from that so might go back to that. Will also try to mix things up occassionally with more egg/savoury type breakfasts too.

Keep any other ideas rolling in, much appreciated! :)
    Unless you've got a specific medical issue, sugar's not an evil which must be avoided.

Provided you're getting adequate protein and fats from the rest of your diet, there's no reason to worry about the relative lack of protein in your morning cereal; provided you're getting adequate micronutrients from your diet as a whole, the specific type of cereal you're eating won't significantly help or hinder your goals. Just stay within your kilocalorie allowance for the day.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I like porridge too; I make it with water or skimmed milk, usually. A portion actually fills me up, whereas recommended portions of most cereals are tiny.

Cereal-wise, I used to eat Special K but I think they've recently changed the recipe so it's unpleasantly sweet now. The Sainsburys own-brand version is quite nice :-)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    Do you have Weet-bix in UK?

I often have 3 of them for breakfast, with milk, and find them filling and healthy.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Anything with Oats should be good (great source of soluble fiber).

Best breakfast would be eggs.
  • somegirlinlondon
    Options
    Do you have Weet-bix in UK?

I often have 3 of them for breakfast, with milk, and find them filling and healthy.

Yep, we do have Weetbix - great suggestion, might try that too!

Thanks for your help, guys! :)
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    special K-high protein with vanilla flavour. I like it because you get 1 cup and it does have a good amount of protien.
    I was using Kashi cereal but special k tastes much better.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I love cereal :)

Cheerios of course. Add bananas or strawberrys to them.

Honestly, just look at the labels and measure the serving out. I love Raisin Brand despite being high in sugar ... but I squeeze it in because I want it.
  • lindsay0515
    lindsay0515 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Total - it's delicious and 100% whole grain! It's like Raisin Bran but without all of the sugar. You can dump your own raisins in it and have a yummy breakfast!
  • grniis
    grniis Posts: 5
    Options
    If I do cereal, its usually Kashi Go-Lean (original flavor.) Its only 160 cal/cup and i put fruit on top. Cereal is cereal, but there's definitely waaay worse out there.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    How about some sort of muesli? In the UK, those might have less added sugar (in the US, they have as much as regular cereal).

I like the Kashi Go-Lean as well (do they have that over there?) - I add it to Greek yogurt rather than milk to up the protein a bit (and a bit of stevia to take the sharp edge off the yoghurt).
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Too keep your calories down I would avoid the red alpen.

But really just eat something you like, I usually have special K with skimmed milk but sometimes toast with cheese grilled on top - no butter and I weigh it so its still less that 200kcal.
  • somegirlinlondon
    Options
    Oh, lots more great ideas - thanks all! Yep, do often have yoghurt but will also try out some of the other ideas on here too. Thank you! :happy:
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Kellogg's All Bran Buds, often mixed with some other (any, really) cereal.

cereal-killer.jpg
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I have been a Kashi Go Lean kind of guy for a while. Well, I don't have breakfast, but it makes for a great post-workout treat.

Go Lean has an impressive amount of protein for being a cereal.

And I also find it hard to resist those Oatmeal Squares. Yum.