Almond Milk vs. Cow's Milk

Options
12346»

Replies

• amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk was not meant for human consumption, it was meant for baby calves. Almond milk is RGBH free of growth hormones. It has more calcium in it than milk does too.
    And almonds are baby almond trees, also not "meant" for human consumption. What a silly, pointless argument.

Your analogy was pointless. I didn't get it. This whole discussion is silly and pointless. If one wants to drink almond milk, drink it. If one wants to drink cow's milk, drink it. Sitting here wasting loads of energy on arguing does nothing for me. Genetics is what determines how long a person lives, not cow's milk, almond milk or cocoon milk, who cares. :smokin:
  • laurenatanner
    Options
    I've switched to almond milk for the following reasons:
    1. Fewer calories than cow's milk.
    2. The vanilla, unsweetened one is DELICIOUS in smoothies.
    3. Fewer carbs! (But make sure you buy the unsweetened one.)
    4. Last but not least, after months of experimentation with my diet I've discovered that dairy makes me bloated! So maybe this reason should be vanity (and less gas).

I hope this helps you make your decision. Best of luck!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Detailed nutritional data for whole milk:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/69/2

Detailed nutritional data for almond milk:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/1981172/2

Salient differences:
    - dairy milk has more phosphorous and selenium
    - almond milk has more calcium, vitamin E and B12
    - different macro-nutrient profiles

Honestly, the differences are so slight that I'd go by taste and cost, personally.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    The main reason most people have switched to almond or soy milk is because they have a lactose intolerance or sensitivity. I, for example, get nauseated after finishing my cereal or drinking more than 1/4 cup of milk at a time. I go easy on the cheese. Never been a big yogurt fan but I just started eating greek yogurt and most of the time I do get a bit nauseated by the time I finish.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Almond milk - There is pus in cows milk and growth hormone

That's kinda scary. Are you talking raw cow's milk when you mention pus? or what we buy from the store shelf?

I do have concerns about the growth hormone.

The growth hormone is one of the benefits of drinking milk. Milk contains multiple types of growth factors, most notably IGF-1, that cause a higher rate of protein synthesis than consuming protein alone. If you are eating to build muscle mass this is a big plus. I have experienced no problems consuming milk (I drink 16-32oz a day and have since I was a child).
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options

That's kinda scary. Are you talking raw cow's milk when you mention pus? or what we buy from the store shelf?

The growth hormone is one of the benefits of drinking milk. Milk contains multiple types of growth factors, most notably IGF-1, that cause a higher rate of protein synthesis than consuming protein alone. If you are eating to build muscle mass this is a big plus. I have experienced no problems consuming milk (I drink 16-32oz a day and have since I was a child).

Thank you.
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Neither is true.

Thank you...I'll check it out. :smile:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't like cow's milk (nor do I like soy milk) and almond milk, rice milk, sunflower seed milk, coconut milk, hemp milk, Flax milks that I've been drinking gets so boring and so watery:ohwell: ...I stopped drinking them all--then I found this milk: :drinker:

Califia Almondmilks :heart: :drinker: :heart:

These milks are so rich and creamy...not "watery" like the other nut and rice milks that I've tried over the years. My all time favorite is: Toasted Coconut Pure Coconut Almondmilk blend and my next favorite is Vanilla Protein Pure Almondmilk--it has 8 grams of protein and is creamy and delicious. My favorite (the coconut almond blend) isn't that high in protein, but again...it's creamy and uber delicious and I use it in my protein shakes--so I get extra protein using it!
    Here's the stats on the vanilla protein:

Califia Vanilla Protein Almondmilk
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving size 10.5 fl oz
    Servings per container 1
    Amount per serving % Daily value *
    Calories 130
    Calories from Fat 40
    Total Fat 4.5g 7%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 220mg 9%
    Total Carbohydrate 16g 5%
    Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
    Sugars 13g
    Protein 8g
    Vitamin A 10%
    Calcium 45%
    Vitamin D 25%
    Riboflavin 25%
    Zinc 10%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Iron 2%
    Vitamin E 50%
    Vitamin B12 50%
    Copper 6%

Here's the stats on my favorite Coconut Almondmilk blend:
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving size 8 fl oz
    Servings per container 6
    Amount per serving % Daily value *
    Calories 40
    Calories from Fat 30
    Total Fat 3.5g 5%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 160mg 7%
    Total Carbohydrate 2g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 1g
    Vitamin A 10%
    Calcium 45%
    Vitamin D 25%
    Riboflavin 25%
    Magnesium 4%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Iron 4%
    Vitamin E 45%
    Vitamin B12 50%
    Zinc 10%
    Copper 2%
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I actually buy both, I use almond milk for smoothies, and organic cow's milk for cooking and cereal.
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    Almond milk is healthier but i'm lactose intolorent and prefer soy milk
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I drink both - almond milk in my protein shakes and morning oatmeal, but skim milk when drinking it plain (usually only on weekends when I cook breakfast) and while cooking. I waste less that way, since almond milk lasts longer. The biggest reason I use almond milk, though, is because it's 30 calories per cup. Can't beat that unless you use water. And water in oatmeal? Gross!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Almond milk has more calcium than cows milk, and I personally believe that people shouldn't drink baby cows milk. We are not built to digest it, but that is my personal opinion. I have not drunk cows milk ever (I'm weird I have had a phobia of it all my life) and have had no medical problems because of it.

Many groups of people display the evolved trait of lactase persistence. Those people are built to digest milk. People without the trait are not.

If you can digest both, it's personal preference. For some reason Almond milk seems to cause gastrointestinal difficulties for me. I prefer SO Delicious Coconut milk over almond milk (issues) and soy milk (taste).

Lately I've been using 2% milk, though, because I'm cheap and Coconut Milk is a lot more expensive than milk.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    i-do-what-i-want-10-19.gif
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I started buying Soy milk years ago because I figured out that it lasts longer and I didn't drink milk fast enough, so i was always throwing it out. I realized years later that I had always been somewhat lactose intolerant. Now I buy almond milk because t is lower calorie and my family likes it.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk! But I think that it is a personal choice.

I would suggest that if you want to drink cow's milk - make it organic, so that you are getting a version that is pesticide and hormone free.

From personal experience, when I had milk, i had more skin issues and blemishes. Now that I am drinking almond milk, I have clear skin.

Otherwise the milk vs almond milk debate - depending on what kind you get - either is good for you. For instance, asking a pediatrician - giving a child either is beneficial for their well being and health - it does not matter which you give them.
  • journey2sugar
    journey2sugar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I never post here, but I had to - the milk the Maasai people drink and the crap the Western world drinks is NOT the same! AT ALL! I've had both and wow, cow's milk I've gotten in this country makes me sick to my stomach.