What to dip instead of chips?

I love salsa, guacamole, spinach dip, bean dip, just about anything you scoop out of a jar with a tortilla chip is on my list of favorite snacks. I don't really like or care about tortilla chips, so for me, the chips themselves aren't worth the calories. I also get pretty bored always dipping baby carrots or celery sticks.

What low (or at least lower than tortilla chips) calorie options are there that I don't know about? What's your favorite thing to dip? My only real requirements are that it's at least a little crunchy or crisp and that it's sturdy enough not to break off in the dip.

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Cucumbers?
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    I like to use pork rinds for thicker dips (hummus, guacamole, bean dip, spinach dip), but they won't work well for thinner dips like salsa
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    I like pita chips, though they're not much better than tortilla chips. I was going to say baby carrots and celery are the obvious answers, but saw that you addressed that...

Sundried tomatoes (that haven't been rehydrated) maybe?
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    kale chips .....radishes..........whole wheat tortilla baked great with bean dip and spinach dip...pitas also baked
  • SPeffer1
    SPeffer1 Posts: 74 Member
    My favorite is carrots but I never get tired of them.

I've heard of people taking a low calorie tortilla and baking it and beaking it up like the chips, so that might work.

Other than that - any vegetable that is crispy really.

Pretzels?

Rice cakes?
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    carrots
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,787 Member
    Pretzel sticks (I buy lowfat ones because they're crunchier)? Steamed artichoke leaves? Sticks of roasted carrots? Broccoli & cauliflower crowns? Tomato slices (a particular favorite of mine is tomato slices dipped in guacamole)? Sesame sticks?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Typical crudite (veggies sliced up for dipping) include bell peppers, carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower and fennel. I'd even add cucumber and/or zucchini slices if you leave the peels on.

On another note, I just love salsa and quac on a taco salad instead of regular dressing. You get the zing from the salsa and the creaminess of the guac - yum!! Guac is yummy on sandwiches and salsa is great on eggs.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Special K makes some good chips that are low calorie.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    make lettuce wraps.
    Sliced carrots and celery.
    Chunks of Apple or cheese.

I am a fan of hummus and I love hummus and carrots now. so crunchy and tasty.
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Sliced apples for hummus taste really good.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Cut bell peppers into strips - it's terrific with a garlicy hummus or salsa.
    Cucumbers for french onion or ranch dips
    Brocolli & califlower for cheesy dips
    Cut up whole wheat pitas into small triangles and use for hummus or cheesy dips
  • Cucumbers are a simple one for me, but you can put almost any vegetable or fruit in the oven or dehydrator to make something crunchy or dip-able. Search for sweet potato chips, kale chips, etc and you will get a huge selection of recipes to try.
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    I love cucumbers, baby carrots, and bell pepper slices dipped in hummus or homemade low fat ranch dip.

I've also done the bake your own tortilla chips by cutting a whole wheat tortilla into triangles, spraying it with non stick spray, and tossing it in the oven.

When I want a salsa fix, I mix it with cottage cheese and it eat with a spoon for a high protein snack.

All are delicious and low cal!
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Veggie straws or chips from Sensible Portions are awesome with anything!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Carrots, celery, cucumber... I have also sliced up big tomatoes and use those.

Kale chips, or romaine lettuce (just put the spread on the inside of the leaf and roll it up.
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    I like to take a whole red bell pepper and slice it up and dip it into plain greek yogurt that I have mixed with a packet of dry ranch seasoning. I just scoop out a few ounces and dip away! Crunchy and delicious!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    This is what I had yesterday:

1/2 an avacado mushed up (too lazy to make guacamole plus it was so GOOD by itself)
    bunch of carrot sticks.

Healthy and yummy and crunchy. I was a chip fiend and I don't crave them anymore. Carrots can do the trick.
  • amberlinajo
    amberlinajo Posts: 16 Member
    Breton makes 'Breton Popped' cracker/chips that are pretty darn low cal and I love them! Super crunchy and crispy! Pepperidge farms also makes a cracker chip which is pretty good. And special K does a good low cal one as well!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    My new fav are kale chips, although they don't dip very well. baby carrots, cucumbers, celery are all awesome.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I have a coworker who swears by the veggie chips, not the seasoned ones by Green Giant, but the other kind (I think he said they have "earth" in the name somewhere. My personal favorite is red pepper strips in roasted red pepper hummus. Sweet, spicy (only a teeny bit), and salty, plus crunchy and juicy! I could eat it for days...though I didn't have time today to cut red pepper strips, so carrots are my second option! I have heard that if you don't have a dehydrator, you can use your lowest temperature setting on your oven...has anyone tried this?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Cucumbers and green peppers for me. I'm not sure how they'd taste with the dips you use those, though. I only eat sour cream and onion dip and for that, they're great.
  • dirtmagnets
    dirtmagnets Posts: 116 Member
    Jicama! So good with any dip that tortilla chips are good with.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    spoon
  • ravengal
    ravengal Posts: 39
    Apple slices. They are especially good with spicy dips.