feel worn down

Options
I tried to do my workout this morning and my body just felt so exhausted, I had a real hard time doing it. This feeling has kept with me all day. I have all over soreness and I feel worn out. Yesterday was my rest day, day before was a long run day (5 miles). I usually run 3 miles but went to 5 cause I have a 10k on April 12th I am working towards. Any idea what my problem is? How can I fix it? I will try again tomorrow for a 4 mile run, hopefully will make it...

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your diet? You might not be getting enough nutrients for your run. Or how about sleep? are you dead to the world for 8 hours a night?
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    There are a couple different things that it could be.

You could be overtraining, how many days per week are you working out? What other types of exercises are you doing?

You could have low iron, try boosting some iron rich foods for a couple days and see if it makes a difference. If the feeling of being run down and tired doesn't go away I would go to your doctor's and have them check you out.

You could need more water or food. Have you had a larger than normal deficit for the last couple days? How's your water intake?

You may just need some more sleep. Have you been sleeping ok? Had a couple late nights or early mornings?

I know for me when I was having a rough time with energy it was my iron levels. It usually gets ugly when I up my mileage and I haven't been taking my supplement every day.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that you're undereating. Unless you're really short, a calorie goal of 1200 calories per day is too low. Make sure you're set to only lose 1/2 a pound per week. And maybe consider eating back more of your exercise calories.

It looks like you're set to the MFP standard for protein, which is fine but you need to make sure you're meeting at least that number, if not going well over it. This will help you with muscle recovery as you train for your 10k.

Finally, make sure you're well hydrated. You need to drink more than the minimum 8 glasses per day while training as well.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I would up your protein too. I drink 1/2 of a protein shake before i leave and the other 1/2 after I return. I am definitly worn out for the rest of the day but it never stays a 2nd day....that is my hungry day.

If you are training and you are hungry...eat! You will feel much better in the long run.
    A hard boiled egg does wonders for me :)
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Your body is telling you to slow down. Take a few days of rest, eat well and get back to it.
  • andezz99
    andezz99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    #1 Nutrition- Are you eating well, eating enough, eating clean (i.e. healthy food)
    #2 Rest- Are you sleeping 8 hours a night?
    #3 Training- Are you overdoing it, maybe you need more rest. If your a runner, consider another cardio alternative and give the legs a break (try rowing for distance 10K or 5K on a rowing machine or take a bike ride to keep your cardio up. The mix up may actually help your running.
    #4 Post Workout- do you spend time stretching, rolling out the legs, hips, etc. Maybe get a massage to work those knots.
    #5 Hydrate- drink more water and stay hydrated.

This all may seem obvious but sometimes you just need a break, don't beat yourself up over it. Sometimes a break is good for the body and the mind. There is a reason we don't feel like doing something sometimes, if your body is telling you to take an extra day or two, listen to it. You'll come back stronger because of it. Good luck on your event!
  • appleberry78
    Options
    I am only 5 '4 so yeah I am kind of short. I think I eat pretty good and I do eat a ton of protein, I have had iron problems my whole life. I actually tried to donate blood and they told me I didn't have enough iron for myself I couldn't give any up. lol I am going to use some of your suggestions, thank you so much!!! Time to mix it up!