Losing weight when dealing with a eating disorder

Options
Anyone have any tips for losing weight while dealing with an eating disorder? I have some extra baby weight I'm trying to get rid of, but I am so scared of relapse that I sometimes intentionally over eat. Over eating is dangerous since that is usually how the cycle starts. Has anyone else gone through this? What did you do?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I'd focus on treating the ED before I worried about my weight.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I would come up with a program under the supervision of your doctor, just to be safe.
    And maybe speak with a therapist during the process, just to work out your feelings and work on your relationship with food :D
    Best of luck.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Honestly, trying to lose weight with an active or recovering ED sounds terrifying and exhausting. I'm not saying this to be critical -- I think that's too much stress and pressure for one person to have to handle. Please go talk to a doctor, dietician or therapist (preferably, all three) who specialize in treating your specific ED. If, and only if, they think it's appropriate, they can help you build a plan that doesn't trigger your disorder. Trying to do it yourself isn't something you should put yourself through.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I would come up with a program under the supervision of your doctor, just to be safe.
    And maybe speak with a therapist during the process, just to work out your feelings and work on your relationship with food :D
    Best of luck.

I agree with this. Talk to your doctor and get a professional recommendation.
  • RosFis
    RosFis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I struggled with an eating disorder for the better part of the last decade. The last couple years have actually been quite healthy for me. I now feel secure enough with my self and my habits that I can begin to healthily lose weight. If you are in a place mentally that you feel you can safely lose weight then maybe I can help. If you are afraid that this will become another unhealthy obsession, it may be better to wait and seek further help before you decide to have a go at weight loss on your own as it can trigger bad feelings and perhaps even push you towards a relapse. That being said, I found what has helped me the most to stay on track and away from old habits, as been to identify what I consider to be 'danger foods' and avoid them or eat them sparingly. For me, I know that after I eat things like bread, or sugar, I feel guilt, and then want to revert to the unhealthy ways that I used to deal with food. Over eating will happen occasionally, but the best way to avoid it and the feelings that come along with it, is to find out why you over eat. Be mindful when you eat and identify how you feel mentally and physically when you eat different things. If you are over eating as a safety mechanism, don't do that. Give your self a bit more credit, you want to be healthy and you are working towards a goal. Eat until you are satisfied, stop when you are full, get proper nutrition, try to fit it into your macros. This website is a great tool for helping you be accountable, you never have to guess, 'did i eat enough today?', your diary will show you.
    I can say from experience, eating disorders don't go away, at least not until long, long, looong after you assume a more normal and healthy lifestyle. I am not going to lie and say that once you decide to be done with your eating disorder that everything is peachy, I still struggle everyday, however, I know that eating is much healthier then the alternative, and the more mindful you are about how food and eating affects your mind and body, the more likely you are to achieve success. I hope I have provided perhaps a bit of insight into how I deal with my bad relationship with eating, and my body, and I hope that it may help you out!
  • MrsPaulSmith
    MrsPaulSmith Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I think I can. I have done this before and failed, but now I have my husband a little more on board with being part of my support group. I also have started prepackaging lunches and dinners with being mindful of the calories. Tracking has helped, but I do tend to become a little obsessive. I had to not measure myself in any way for a couple of weeks and now I am trying to limit myself to once a week on sundays. I am kinda scared/nervous to get professional help because I don't trust or like doctors. They seem like sales people to me.