where to start lifting??

Options
Hi

So I am doing well with eating well/ cutting calories and have been doing cardio as well. However I understand I should incorporate some strength/ weigh training into my fitness but I just don't know where to start?

We have machines and free weights at my gym but I'm not sure how much weight/ sets/ reps I should be doing? I am currently doing sit ups and planks but I how long/ how many of these should I be doing!?

I am 4ft 11 and currently weight around 130lbs.

I want to get 'toned' and have 'definition' but obviously not be 'bulky'! Also, should I do weights before/ after or on a different day to cardio?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Forget the words bulk and tone.. get that out of your head (unless you are actually bulking which refers to food intake, not appearance).

Look into programs like New Rules of Lifting For Women and Stronglifts 5x5. They are great beginner programs and I believe there are groups on here for them
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Forget the words bulk and tone.. get that out of your head (unless you are actually bulking which refers to food intake, not appearance).

Look into programs like New Rules of Lifting For Women and Stronglifts 5x5. They are great beginner programs and I believe there are groups on here for them

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    This group has a great summary and links to videos
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is a good place to start. It's a book and has a lifting program (that Stronglifts 5x5 ripped off), but it also explains how to perform the lifts which is important for a beginner.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is a good place to start. It's a book and has a lifting program (that Stronglifts 5x5 ripped off), but it also explains how to perform the lifts which is important for a beginner.

starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting (for women)
    strong curves.

start there- those are the best places you can go- hard material to get your hands on and educate yourself- and references and stuff to research.

As a female- you are doomed to a life of "not bulky"
    it's laughably difficult to get bulky- years of dedication- cutting/bulking cycles and heavy heavy lifting- and to truly get actually big like pro stage big- you need other things that come in the form of pills and needles.

Now- what will you get:
    stronger
    defined (most likely- if you keep up with the proper diet stuff)

Side may include but are not limited to:
    confidence
    educated
    self reliance
    fabulousness
    general badassery
  • rustyroof
    rustyroof Posts: 76
    Options
    Starting Strength deffo
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Hi! I did a weight training class in college, that kinda helped to show me how to work everything, but in my "grownup life" I had a lot of success with Body for Life. They show you how to use the machines, and how many reps/sets to do of everything.

Feel free to check out this link. Hope it helps.
    http://bodyforlife.com/library/exercise/weight-training
  • samiejones1
    samiejones1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your advice!