new guy

artwolf
artwolf Posts: 3 Member
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Hello all,
I found mfp through a group in my church that was supporting each other in their weight loss. I hail from East Texas, and have a goal of 29 lbs of loss, to get me down to 165. I'm 5'9" so that is at the upper end of my desired range. I'm sure that once I get going, I won't stop there!
Anybody have a low calorie recipe for arroz con pollo? I love it (lived 14 years in Latin America) but it loves to hang around me a little too much.
Blessings to all of you, and thanks for the great helpful site.
- Art

Replies

• artwolf
    Hello all,
    I found mfp through a group in my church that was supporting each other in their weight loss. I hail from East Texas, and have a goal of 29 lbs of loss, to get me down to 165. I'm 5'9" so that is at the upper end of my desired range. I'm sure that once I get going, I won't stop there!
    Anybody have a low calorie recipe for arroz con pollo? I love it (lived 14 years in Latin America) but it loves to hang around me a little too much.
    Blessings to all of you, and thanks for the great helpful site.
    - Art
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Welcome.gif

Can't help on the recipe but search in the recipe section and you might find something.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Welcome to the website! You will love it here. :flowerforyou:

No clue on the recipe...What does it normally have in it??? I'm googling it now. I'm sure if you have your favorite recipe handy we can help you change out and sub things for healthier choices.

Here is what I found online for a regular recipe:

chicken-rice-su-637685-l.jpg

Ingredients:
    8 chicken thighs (about 6 oz. each)...........................substitute for chicken breasts
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    About 1 tablespoon vegetable oil...............................1/2 the vegetable oil
    1 white onion (8 oz.), peeled and chopped
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    2 fresh jalapeño chiles (1 1/2 to 2 oz. total), rinsed, stemmed, and thinly sliced
    1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
    2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
    1 can (14 oz.) stewed tomatoes...................................fresh tomatoes stewed
    1 3/4 cups (9 oz.) frozen corn kernels.........................fresh corn
    1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
    Salt

Preparation:

1. Remove skin from chicken. Trim off and discard excess fat. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Rub chili powder all over pieces.

2. Set a 12-inch frying pan with 2-inch-tall sides or a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil and tilt pan to coat bottom. Add chicken in a single layer and turn as needed to brown on both sides, 10 to 12 minutes total (if necessary, brown in two batches, adding 1 more tablespoon oil if needed). Transfer to a plate.

3. Add onion, garlic, and jalapeño chiles to pan; stir often until onion is limp, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add rice; stir often until rice is opaque, about 3 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes (including juices), corn, and 1/4 cup mint. Bring to a boil over high heat.

4. Lay chicken pieces slightly apart in pan. Reduce heat to low, cover pan, and cook until rice is tender to bite and chicken is no longer pink at the bone (cut to test), 25 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mint and add salt to taste.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

Nutritional Information:
    CALORIES 651(17% from fat);
    FAT 12g (sat 2.6g);
    CHOLESTEROL 161mg;
    CARBOHYDRATE 83g;
    SODIUM 456mg;
    PROTEIN 51g;
    FIBER 5.1g
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Hey Art...welcome!!! Where in East Tx are you, I'm just over the line in Louisiana!!
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Heya Art, welcome! I'm also a newbie in here, and have found the support to be great. :smile:
  • artwolf
    Huntsville, TX. Great place to live and work. I'll have to get the recipe we use - my wife's the cook (greatest in the world, I might add).
  • Hi everyone! I heard of MFP on Beachbody , I do the Ten Minute Trainer workout from them. Alot of the members there come here and recommend it. I only set up my account- haven't actually started yet. I look forward to it though. It looks easier than I thought it would be.
    I look forward to getting/giving support!:happy:
    neerod40
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Neerod - Beachbody is WONDERFUL!
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Howdy Partner :happy:

So glad you could join us.

I'm from FL and here they say that Texans always do things in a BIG way.

Soooo I KNOW you are in!! :laugh:

~Namaste :flowerforyou:
  • rach, are you a beachbody member too?
This discussion has been closed.