How's my diet? Trying to lose fat!

Options
Please view my mfp diary of the week. Am I on the right track to lose body fat?

Any suggestions? I'm at 20-21% body fat.. Trying to get to 17%.
Currently 5'2" at 129lb...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/sjam720

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

Congratulations for achieving a healthy weight. I know it is a challenging journey.

I am also trying to reduce body fat. I found it is a slow moving journey.

I believe you have to be consistent on your daily protein intake levels. Some days you are reaching it, others not.

You are supposed to ingest daily protein in grams as high as 0.8 of your body weight in lbs.

I prepare my own protein shake prior to my workout.
    Whey protein isolate, a banana, almond mils. At least 45 -30 minutes before exercise.
    I take another container with whey protein isolate with water to the gym. I drink this as soon as I finish my workout

These two protein drinks a day have helped me increase my protein quota. Also try: greek yogurt, quinoa, cottage cheese, beef jerky, peanut butter, eggs, tofu, lean meats ( chicken breast, sardines, etc)

Last but not least, weight lifting. I pray at the Church of Iron. It will do your body good.

Good Luck in your healthy journey
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

To lose fat you need to be in a deficet...you don't weigh your food so chances are you are eating more than you think.

Start weighing your food, choose the correct entries (USDA entries without the words generic, homemade or an asteriks)
  • k1ttykaz
    k1ttykaz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    way way way more fresh vegies and far less sugar and processed foods.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    way way way more fresh vegies and far less sugar and processed foods.

It's not the type of food you eat it's about how much you eat.
  • sjam720
    sjam720 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

To lose fat you need to be in a deficet...you don't weigh your food so chances are you are eating more than you think.

Start weighing your food, choose the correct entries (USDA entries without the words generic, homemade or an asteriks)

So does calories in protein really count? I find some proteins can easily add up to a lot of calories... After a hard workout I tend to get really hungry... Should I still keep calories deficiency even when I'm really hungry?
  • sjam720
    Options
    Oh and some of the homemade entries are recipes I created with measured amounts. I create large batches of certain food items like chicken entrees and beef jerky.
  • djflowerz
    djflowerz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with RubyKaz. You need more veggies. A larger portion of your meals should be vegetables, such as dark leafy greens.
  • sjam720
    Options
    I agree with RubyKaz. You need more veggies. A larger portion of your meals should be vegetables, such as dark leafy greens.

So should I cut out meats to replace with veggies?
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I would not cut protein to fit in veggies. If you want to get in more veggies, cut out some of the snacks. But veggies aren't not usually high calories, so you can get lots of veggies in without cutting out a lot of other snacks.
  • Amelia7779
    Amelia7779 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

So does calories in protein really count? I find some proteins can easily add up to a lot of calories... After a hard workout I tend to get really hungry... Should I still keep calories deficiency even when I'm really hungry?

Yes, calories in protein count. It's one of our three sources of calories, along with fat and carbohydrate. Well, and alcohol.