To first steps.

Options
Hello, My name is Garrett Brannon, I am going to begin trying to lose weight. I have psychological connections to food, as food was often used as a "reward" growing up. Also, I'm a big social eater. If there are people present, I always have to be eating with them. It is Lent, and I would like to view this as a spiritual exercise as well. The stomach is the strongest of passions, and if I can't control it, how can I control any other unhealthy passion in my life?

Well, to first steps. I would like to lose a lot of weight. I am currently 336 pds, and I would like to go down to 200. I know that this is a big goal, and I know it will be difficult. I have started diets in the past, and I have crashed on them. This is the first time I've ever reached out for support in this endeavor.

I'm also wondering if there are people around me who can also work out with me at the Florissant Community Center. Any thoughts?

Replies

• daniellebrannon
    Options
    Good for you. I just signed up as well. Unfortunately, there is no way for me to add in the factor that I am nursing. Hmm.
    Danielle
  • 1Lightstep
    1Lightstep Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP.

You have made a very good first step by coming here. I have been using the MFP food diary for several months and I have found it extremely useful.

My first tip for you as a newcomer to the site would be log everything, everyday. No matter how the figures look, it is better to know. Knowledge puts you in control. You can make informed choices. when you know where all your calories are being 'eaten up', and you can start to make small changes. Small changes are more sustainable in the long run and they soon add up to a much healthier life long diet.

Later on, if you use your diary as a meal planner each day it will help you to stay within your calorie goals. It avoids surprises at the end of the day when it calculates the numbers.

A lot of people when they first start dieting have a big weight loss number in mind, which can be daunting. If you break it up into much smaller goals, reaching those smaller goals will be more frequent than one big goal and hitting those smaller goals can spur you on enormously.

You aim to be 200 but long before you get there you will see changes that improve your quality of your life, e.g. breathing better, sleeping better, walking further, looser fitting clothes etc. These non scale victories (NSV) will transform your life.

Best wishes for your weight loss journey.