Targeting stomach area

Options
I have been on this journey for a little while now and I am pretty happy with my results however I have an issue with my stomach being a big problem area. It seems not matter how many sit-ups, how much cardio, weights, or eating right I do my stomach seems to still look as though I'm 5 months pregnant! I am 52kg weight and 162cm height. What else can I do to make my stomach flat?

Edit: I should add that I don't have much fat and if I lose too much more weight it will be too much. I'm looking for exercises to tighten up my stomach and hopefully pull it in a bit. I have had two children so I'm not sure if maybe this has something to do with that "pregnant" look.

Replies

• nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Bumping, I'd love to get some help with this too
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is the only thing to get rid of fat. There is, unfortunately, no way to target a certain area. Lifting heavy will help with your shape and ab definition once you cut fat enough, but that's it.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is the only thing to get rid of fat. There is, unfortunately, no way to target a certain area. Lifting heavy will help with your shape and ab definition once you cut fat enough, but that's it.
    This. Sadly, everyone's body loses fat from different places first. Were it not so, I'd have gotten rid of these love handles long ago. :grumble:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    this.

only this.

there aren't any special foods or workouts to make you burn fat faster from one spot.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Yup, ^this.

I wish it wasn't true, though, as it's the last place I lose fat from (and the first place I gain fat) too. I have some awesome abs...under just enough fat that they are completely hidden. *sigh*
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    Here's the link to a great post on the topic …

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You can't target a certain area..as far as I heard.

I heard:

Do lots of cardio, cardio, cardio until your BMI is lower than hit it with some abs workout. :) Good luck!
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You can't spot-treat weight or fat loss unless you opt for surgery. Sorry /:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Have you had a doctor check you out to determine that it is in fact fat and not that the abdominal muscles separated during pregnancy (diastasis recti)?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You can't target a certain area..as far as I heard.

I heard:

Do lots of cardio, cardio, cardio until your BMI is lower than hit it with some abs workout. :) Good luck!

No....

BMI means nothing. I'm obese by BMI. BF% means everything, and you can do all the isolated ab workouts you want, but if your BF% isn't low, you won't see anything.

Moderate Caloric Deficit + Work (Cardio and Heavy Compound Lifting) + Patience = Lower BF% which = your goal.

You can probably get there with 1 and 3, but would be happier if you incorporate all 3. You can do 10,000 crunches a day but if you have fat on a different part of your body it wants to use for fuel, it will.

Since you said that you have little fat, I would recommend a real moderate deficit and start a solid lifting program....like yesterday.
    Have you had a doctor check you out to determine that it is in fact fat and not that the abdominal muscles separated during pregnancy (diastasis recti)?

Also This ^^^
  • itsmebexmfp
    itsmebexmfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options

No I haven't but I'm thinking this could play a part. I know when pregnant with my daughter they told me that the muscles had separated. She's now 5 so I was assuming they would have come back together by now. Not sure how that works. Will book in with my GP. :smile:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    No I haven't but I'm thinking this could play a part. I know when pregnant with my daughter they told me that the muscles had separated. She's now 5 so I was assuming they would have come back together by now. Not sure how that works. Will book in with my GP. :smile:

Yes, you should have it looked at. And some ab exercises can actually make it worse, so stop with the crunches until you find out.
  • itsmebexmfp
    itsmebexmfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Yes, you should have it looked at. And some ab exercises can actually make it worse, so stop with the crunches until you find out.

Yep, found out thats the problem. Stopping all the ab work I've been doing and beginning proper exercises to correct it.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I am in the similar situation as you. Another 5 or 10 pounds I'll be too thin for my own good. But I hear and have seen pics of women that has had children and have amazing tummies! I hope I get there someday, since I am on a small deficit and also strength training. What I do need to do is be more patient :blushing: but anyways, good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

They don't repair themselves like that. My kid's almost 11 and I have to get mine sewn back together soon. And I know how you feel. Once it's done, I'm gaining 10-15 pounds! I can't wait! :)
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I dunno about you but I'm tired of always looking pregnant. I've never even had a kid. -_-
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Aside from a doctor looking to see if there's a problem with your abdominal muscles, pregnancy can also mess with your spine and cause this: http://stronglifts.com/lordosis-why-it-causes-lower-back-pain-how-to-fix-it/ I've had to work with a physical therapist to fix this after my two kids, and she told me this can cause a "pudge" in your gut. I most likely had this before I got pregnant (it really pushes out my bottom, which makes me mad).
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree on the calorie deficit thing....I think workouts help the target areas. You just have to find the exercise that works best for you.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree on the calorie deficit thing....I think workouts help the target areas. You just have to find the exercise that works best for you.
    you can disagree all you want, a calorie deficit is going to help the OP lose fat. Working out will help define muscle once it has been uncovered. You can't "find a workout" that targets fat loss.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options

This.