To open diary or not to open???

Options

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Open it, and be honest. No point in lying to those viewing your diary, you're the one who has to live with the good or bad choices.

Be brave! :drinker: Mine's open to the PUBLIC :bigsmile:

Why do you assume that if someone's diary is private that they are living some lie? I have had mine open at times and I have also had it private. I am not accountable to anyone but myself nor do I owe anyone the right to read my diary.

It should be a choice..one that you can make without others assuming that you are just lying about what you eat.
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Mine's open to friends. We like looking at each other's diaries for meal ideas. At first, I worried about judgments on my off days, but I've found a wonderful group of encouraging and accepting friends on MFP:)
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! So, I would like to add more active friends to my list to help with motivation etc.. what are the advantages/disadvantages to having an open diary vs. closed??

btw, anyone can add me if you are active on mfp and serious about this journey!!! :smile:
    PROS: Much easier if you hit a plateau and ask for advice for people to give GOOD advice...such as "You seem to go over your calories at the end of the day...how about snacking more often earlier in the day so you don't binge? etc.
    More accountability. It's harder to make excuses about why you didn't make your goal if your tracking "tells the tale"

CONS: You must have a thick skin. People WILL be brusque sometimes about what you're doing wrong or not doing at all.

You want to make sure there's no info that could potentially reveal who you are in real life because, you know, creepers/stalkers..they're out there (unfortunately)
  • smkean
    smkean Posts: 132
    Options
    I don't want people knowing what I eat... I feel watched... I know im doing things right even when I struggle.
    It annoys me when people push me to open mine.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I leave mine open for friends because then I feel more accountable for what I eat :)
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I keep it closed mainly BC I don't use this app to count my calories for me. (I find myself being much more conscious when I write calories down physically in a journal). So I keep it closed just so I don't get people dogging on me for not using the app. I just come here for the friends and support!
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Mine is open and I am looking for other ladies with open diaries to add!

I like mine open for accountability. It helps! I won't eat 5 cupcakes BC (other than the likely illness) I wouldn't want my friends on here to get on me about it. I don't eat great but it is much better than in the past!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The last thing I'd want is my insurance company coming back to me and saying I am not eligible for a "reduced" premium because last year I ate too much ( Fat / Sugar / Meat / FoodVillainDuJour ) . Next thing they'll be saying is they won't cover X because I consumed Y.

My diary is closed for the same reason.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Are folks writing the 2 inning lotto numbers and publisher prize winning novels in their journals? No? No point in closing them.
  • redzgal
    redzgal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Funny I was going to post this question last night and then I thought better of it. The reason I didn't is because I knew someone would come back and accuse someone who doesn't have their diary open to whomever of being dishonest. Personally, you can be dishonest even if it is open!! No one knows what the heck you put in your mouth but you. But I contemplated it because I was making so many new friends and a lot of them have their diary open. But as someone said before, I don't want unsolicited comments about what I'm eating. Everyone doesn't make the healthiest choices all the time and shouldn't be ridiculed for it. I tend to eat healthy most of the time, but so what. If I complain about not losing one week, I don't need someone to say, well, it's probably because you went and had fast food on two days. I already know that most assuredly.

If there are friends that have a problem with you having a closed diary, lose them! Find someone who doesn't care. So far, I have not had any of my new buddies ask me to open my diary. Everyone on MFP should be accepting...don't have to understand it, but accept it. So, I decided to keep min closed! :D
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    If I thought anyone could see my food diary I would lie my *kitten* off.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to friends, but I don't mind personally if it's public. My husband's a member here too and if anyone's going to know that I've been lying about my calorie intake, it'll be him, so I'm "being watched", anyway. :laugh:

I can understand why people would have their diaries closed, though. I don't look through anyone else's - I barely have time to update mine half the time! (Though I do.)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Never seen the point in not having it open.

If you're asking for advice, it's a very, very useful tool for those offering it.

I don't have a problem with people criticising what I eat because either a) the choices are backed up with some research which I'll explain or b) I'll happily admit it wasn't a good choice. :)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Funny I was going to post this question last night and then I thought better of it. The reason I didn't is because I knew someone would come back and accuse someone who doesn't have their diary open to whomever of being dishonest. Personally, you can be dishonest even if it is open!!

I totally agree. That's why I find it somewhat amusing that people think having an open diary makes it more honest. :laugh: We none of us know what are friends are eating (not unless you also live with them) or whether their daily log is even accurate. I'm sure there are times our friends omit certain entries because they know the comments they may receive. In the end, regardless of what you put on MFP or whether it's an open diary or not, your body keeps an accurate log of what you ate.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open for all to see. I think twice before I eat something that puts me over my calorie goal. Then there have been days where I went over by 1000 calories. I am so glad I have friends that are like, WTH happened with You today??
  • AeonAi
    AeonAi Posts: 60
    Options
    I keep mine closed. I don't like being judged by random people on what I eat. So if you are sensitive like me. Keep it closed . no one will judge for doing what's best for you.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If you need advice, if honest and your diary is open and you ask the forum or friends why you haven't lost weight..they can see precisely where you went wrong. If it is closed, people have to assume things from whatever you tell them, and you will be a confused victim of your own devices.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open to friends only, both for encouragement and accountability.

I personally won't comment on a closed diary, but that's my preference.
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    That really depends on what works for you :smile:

Some people like the accountability of having people reading their food diaries. It makes them think twice about what they eat. That way they can not only recieve advice or support, but can share recipes and meal ideas as well.

Others find it better to have it closed, because the privacy enables them to be more honest. Some people have medical conditions or struggle with their relationship with food that may invite unwelcome comments should the person reading their diary not know the context.

Personally, I prefer to have mine closed. I'm a private person, and I don't like feeling pressure (imagined or otherwise) regarding my food choices. I'm one of the people who find it easier to be honest if it's just me who can see my diary - especially when I slip up.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'm going against the flow here- mine is closed. It used to be open, and I found myself not being completely honest. Being afraid of judgement, criticism, as well as wanting to keep up the appearance of doing well overpowered my ability to be honest with my diary. I am much more comfortable with my diary closed, and it's really been a good thing for me; it was a bit shocking when I started being really accountable to myself.

I'd love to have an open diary, and show the world all my good days, give meal ideas to people and whatnot, but my vanity and pride get in the way. It's detrimental to my progress, so I keep it private.

I just closed my diary today, and for precisely this reason.

I have not been logging everything and mainly because of the comments I read on OTHER peoples news feed. I've been going through a bad patch, when I'm back on the path I will open my diary again but for now I need to get my head together.