Question for the ladies...

Options
My apologies if this has already been asked before, if so, I will delete it :)

Girls... now, as we all know, there's that one time of the month that we get exceptionally bad chocolate cravings and an increased appetite. I know I do. My craving for chocolate things goes through the roof. Once I think about eating it, I can't stop and I feel like I won't be satisfied until I have a lot! It's stressing me out.

I know that a little treat now and again can be harmless when you're trying to lose weight, but I simply wanted to ask if anyone knows of any alternative foods to prepare when experiencing those "certain cravings"

I'm curious if any fellow women have similar experiences, I'd really love to find an alternative healthy idea that isn't the obvious chocolate or ice cream. It's more from a health viewpoint as well. I'd really love to hear some suggestions from anyone, thank you so much in advance if you share :)

I'm hoping I'm not the only one who experiences this as well!

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I've found out that substitutes don't work on me. When I have to have chocolate covered grahams, I have them, but keep it to a single serving instead of the whole bag.
  • Mienshao
    Mienshao Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm willing to give substitutes a try, I just can't think of any myself :) (hence the reason I started this thread lol)
    I've followed a similar path actually, rather than having a large chocolate bar all to myself, I've found that having a much smaller one like a Kinder bar (if you're familiar with those) works nice for me. It's always good to keep an open mind about alternatives I think though, thanks for your input!
  • amandanilo
    amandanilo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Haha I hear ya!

For me, normally I really don't crave sweets. I'm not a huge chocolate person. But when that time comes....it's on! Haha I generally try to just have a little piece of something. Unfortunately, my boss keeps a big bowl of candy in her office. But it's also good because she only has those mini candies...mini kitkats or Reese's. I just try not to go crazy! But you know what? We're only human! And we're women who have crazy cravings one time during the month. If you indulge, just move on. Work out and just get back on track!
  • Mienshao
    Mienshao Posts: 5
    Options
    Haha I hear ya!

For me, normally I really don't crave sweets. I'm not a huge chocolate person. But when that time comes....it's on! Haha I generally try to just have a little piece of something. Unfortunately, my boss keeps a big bowl of candy in her office. But it's also good because she only has those mini candies...mini kitkats or Reese's. I just try not to go crazy! But you know what? We're only human! And we're women who have crazy cravings one time during the month. If you indulge, just move on. Work out and just get back on track!

Oooh I'd love to not be a chocolate person! When it's 'that time' my body just screams for it, lol!
    this is really wonderful advice though, thank you very much :)
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If I have a craving during that TOM, I will usually just eat whatever I'm craving! Obviously I still log it, and typically I will workout harder or longer during that week because I know I won't make the healthiest choices. Some alternatives I've found is fruit (seriously!) or some chocolate covered strawberries.
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am past the premenstrual problem stage but even back then this was something that satisfied me.

About 4 frozen strawberries, or half a banana sliced and frozen
    1 cup of skim milk
    1 tbsp. of light hot chocolate mix
    artificial sweetner to taste.

Place them in a blender on high and you get a 16 oz glass of "milkshake" for about 150 calories.
  • newteachermom
    newteachermom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    So there's nothing that quite satisfies the same as real chocolate for sure. But!...there are good alternatives and you can beat those cravings!

I would say you should buy a few large bars of good quality dark chocolate, one that breaks into small pieces or bars or even is prewrapped. Try this brand: http://www.amazon.com/Green-Blacks-Organic-Chocolate-3-5-Ounce/dp/B000LKV7Q0

When you get the craving, get one or two pieces and then follow it with a small apple or dried fruit that you like. I love the crisp of the organic dark chocolate personally but if you like the creaminess of milk chocolate, I'm not sure what to tell ya. :)

Try to replace your chocolate cravings with chocolate milk, like TruMoo, or low-calorie fudgecicles and pair them with some raw almonds or unsalted peanuts and you should be able to satisfy without adding huge calories.

Of course a lot of it is about portion sizes too. So it pays when you have lower calorie chocolate options so that if you need a few more, you won't sacrifice too much.

Hope that helps! When I get chocolate cravings (that isn't inspired by that time of the month, lol), I just grab an apple instead or a 14-calorie fruit popsicle from Aldi.
  • olletho
    olletho Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If I want chocolate that badly I'm generally in an iron crash (which yes does tend to coincide with about that time), and I feed the craving, I feed it high grade dark. Quality over quantity, both my waist and my iron levels thank me.

If it is iron related at all don't mix in calcium into the situation it can mess up iron up take.
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    Brown Cow chocolate yogurt. It's wonderful.

Semi-sweet chocolate chips - 7 at a time. Eat 'em slow.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I don't eat chocolate. It gives me migraines.
    But just before TOM I crave sweet and salty and just genral junk food. Black jub jubes, licorice goodies, nibs, peanut brittle, the sweet and salty bars etc.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've been a chocolate lover all my life. My doctor told me to have a couple of "go to" things around all the time for those times when I have to have something. I chose cheese sticks and some International Coffee suisse chocolate, sugar free. I love it. I use 2 tablespoons in a cup of hot water. It satisfies my chocolate craving and I get my coffee fix at the same time.
  • ceciliaruns
    ceciliaruns Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Women who crave chocolate might have a magnesium poor diet, chocolate has high levels of magnesium. I used to crave chocolate badly before my period, but now I don't because I eat magnesium rich foods daily. Almonds and dates are delicious together and satisfy that craving. If I feel like I want chocolate, I make a warm cup of milk, soy, almond or dairy and mix 1 T of 100% cocoa into a small cup of warm milk, stir until blended, then add the remaining milk, add some stevia for sweet....yum! Allowing yourself one piece of good quality chocolate every now and then might help if you deny yourself. Good luck!
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Normally I can deal by just having a cup of hot cocoa but tonight....well, tonight I made faux chocolate mouse stuffed strawberries. Less than 200 calories for 10 strawberries stuffed with chocolatey tastiness. It's just chocolate pudding mix blended with french vanilla cool whip and just about 1/4-1/2 of skim milk (depending on how dense you want it to be). Refrigerate for a bit and then hollow out some berries and fill them. If you are not feeling like the berry hollowing is worth the work, just scoop out your serving and then dip your berries in the mix.
  • tahneesummers88
    tahneesummers88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If I want something like icecream or chocolate I have it.. I just work out harder :-)
  • LivingJuicy
    LivingJuicy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am a milk chocolate lover. I have never liked dark chocolate due to its bitterness, but that is now my go-to substitute for when I am craving chocolate. A high cacao percentage is best. Try Endangered Species. One square will do me.
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    I don't really get cravings when i am going through my time of the month. I just get really upset, like one small thing will make me baul, i guess since that happens i lose my appetite. Also when i go through it i get really really really bad cramps, i suffer from severe Dysmenorrhea and severe hot flashes/cold sweats, and it gets so bad that i have to go to the hospital and sleep all day so i almost never eat when i am going through it. TMI i know lol. Sadly i am only 20...

You could try chocolate flavored tea. its really good.
  • zoquo
    zoquo Posts: 75
    Options
    I recommend getting into dark chocolate instead of milk, a good high cocoa %. I no longer like milk chocolate as i find it too sweet and since changing to dark i find that i get my chocolate "fix" with just a few squares and like yourself i tend to have more at that time of the month. The benefits of dark to milk chocolate are huge. Also try to eat a good amount of iron at that time too. Also dark chocolate is rich in iron!

Hope this helps - give it a go it might work for you like it did for me.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I crave chocolate during my time of the month, too.

I don't understand folks who can just have 2 cookies, or just 1 square of chocolate. I'm not like that at all. If it's in my house, I'm going to eat the whole package. Whether I want to or not, if I've got a craving, I will eat all of it.

'Healthier' chocolate alternatives
    Skim or low fat milk with chocolate syrup (hot or cold)
    Chocolate Fudgesicles (virtually fat free)
    Greek yogurt or ricotta cheese blended with a little sugar and cocoa powder
    Chocolate protein powder and milk

As noted by some of the other ladies, you may be craving chocolate due low levels of magnesium or iron. If you suspect you may be deficient in either of these minerals, do try to increase your intake.
    I've noticed I crave chocolate a lot less when I get enough iron in my diet. So I focus on eating iron-rich foods just before and during my time of the month. It seems to help me, and it certainly doesn't hurt.
  • Krys052490
    Krys052490 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If I have a craving during that TOM, I will usually just eat whatever I'm craving! Obviously I still log it, and typically I will workout harder or longer during that week because I know I won't make the healthiest choices. Some alternatives I've found is fruit (seriously!) or some chocolate covered strawberries.

This^

I will cut up strawberries or bananas then pour hershey's chocolate syrup over it. It's delicious and it hits the spot. It's also easy to control the calories.
  • heidicalif
    heidicalif Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I do chocolate covered almonds.