OMG UNDEReating?! Did I just have an Ah Ha moment??

Options
So I am very freaking overweight...went from being sedentary in December 2013 to active in January 2014. Logging my calories...trying to eat clean rather than commit to a "diet", bought a digital scale and started weighing everything (revelation!), started Crossfit 3x a week and cardio the other two days (rowing, elliptical, bicycle). My workouts are usually 1hr+. I feel sooooo much better, did lose some weight but it should be more considering how heavy I am.

MFP already creates the deficit I need calorie wise to lose 1-2lbs a week...but I am working my a$s off during my workouts. I even log my water! My trainer recommended to not eat the calories that I "earn back"...but I understand that this is wrong?

If I have no bloodwork issues (thyroid, diabetes, etc)...
If I workout consistently and vigorously...
If I am weighing and measuring my food and logging my water...
If I am getting good sleep...
If I have a good balance of protein, carbs and fats (ala Zone diet type)

By George...am I under-eating?

My allowance is 2130. I've been eating approx 1400-1800. Never over 2k and NEVER over my allowance. I burn (because of how heavy I am) at least 500 calories + a day.

But if that is true...then why/how do so many girls take diet pills, slash calories to like 1000 cal, and drop weight?

I'm trying to do this the right way but golly!

Please share your thoughts!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what are you using to measure your calorie burns?
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
  • leesamahree
    leesamahree Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The exercise database on MFP. I use circuit training for Crossfit.

I read that the exercise machines are pretty undependable...isn't that right?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Have you lost 16 pounds sense January? Thats good!
    Also, you are working out so hard you must be gaining muscles?

Probably not.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

She said she is eating at a deficit - which means she can't be gaining muscle but only maintaining. If you eat under your TDEE, you can't gain muscle in any measurable amount.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

yes, but the exercise database on MFP is not that reliable either …at the end of the day it is just an estimate..

Maybe try only eating half of your exercise calories back..?
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

I believe this is true but you'll also hear quite a bit on the forums that MFP's database tends to greatly overestimate calorie burns as well. I would say to maybe start by eating back half of your workout cals, just so you know you aren't going over. :) Great job by the way!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    no.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options

Probably not.

Though this is normally the answer, it could be happening. OP is very overweight and a beginner to exercise - pretty much the only situation in which someone could put on muscle in a caloric deficit. So that is possible.

OP, are you taking measurements? Pictures? Anything besides the scale? The scale can be woefully unreliable and your appearance and level of fitness are vastly more important than your relationship with gravity.
  • leesamahree
    Options
    [/quote]

yes, but the exercise database on MFP is not that reliable either …at the end of the day it is just an estimate..

Maybe try only eating half of your exercise calories back..?
    [/quote]

That's a very good idea! Hadn't thought about that.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Probably not.

Though this is normally the answer, it could be happening. OP is very overweight and a beginner to exercise - pretty much the only situation in which someone could put on muscle in a caloric deficit. So that is possible.

OP, are you taking measurements? Pictures? Anything besides the scale? The scale can be woefully unreliable and your appearance and level of fitness are vastly more important than your relationship with gravity.

That's why I said probably.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I never eat back all my calories. That just hinders my progress. I swim everyday, laps and burn between 650- 900 calories every time depending on how long I swim for. I eat back maybe half on average.
  • leesamahree
    Options
    I haven't measured...that's a good thought too!

I'm not expecting "Biggest Loser" scale losses (God knows what they go through for that)...

I'm just trying to find the right formula for me. I gotta make it work.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    As you acknowledged, MFP already has a deficit based on what you put in your profile (roughly 500 cal/day if you said you wanted to lose a pound a week). Usually losing more than 2 pounds a week is not recommended. But with a great deal of weight to go (say over 100 lb and more than 25% of your starting weight), you have more flexibility on that.
    The problems with eating too little are
    * it may be hard to get the full nutrition you need
    * fast loss is harder to maintain (you don't learn the right habits)
    * fast loss may reduce your energy levels and metabolism to the point where it causes problems
    * extreme swings in what you eat are hard on your body
    * depending on what you've left out, you may cause cravings or start a cycle of yo-yo dieting

I'm guessing you started by setting MFP to help you lose 2 pounds/week, so about a 1,000 calorie deficit. On top of that, you say you're eating about 300-700 calories below the "allowance" -- you don't say whether that includes the additional 500 exercise calories. So, you're eating a deficit of 1,300 to 2,200 calories a day! And yes, that's almost certainly too little.

Do you have any idea approximately how many calories per day you were eating to get to your current weight?

I've collected some suggestions for using MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993
  • leesamahree
    Options
    Robin-

2 pregnancies....rocky road, wine, sushi, bread, pasta, stress, lack of sleep, etc etc....

I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead while I was pregnant with my second...but of course couldn't juice then or after I had the baby (nursing).

I started juicing in the beginning of January for 5 days and used that to change my eating habits. I noticed my portion sizes were out of control.

I decided not to commit to a diet (tell me I can't have a doughnut and it's the first thing I will run to (I hate doughnuts btw...I'm just a rebel lol).

Instead of cutting things out, I decided to add things in...spaghetti squash, brown rice instead of white, green smoothies, lower fat milk instead of whole, nuts instead of candy, etc.
  • leesamahree
    Options

She said she is eating at a deficit - which means she can't be gaining muscle but only maintaining. If you eat under your TDEE, you can't gain muscle in any measurable amount.

A most excellent point...I didn't think about that either!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I decided not to commit to a diet (tell me I can't have a doughnut and it's the first thing I will run to (I hate doughnuts btw...I'm just a rebel lol).

Instead of cutting things out, I decided to add things in...spaghetti squash, brown rice instead of white, green smoothies, lower fat milk instead of whole, nuts instead of candy, etc.

Smart.

so, I paste this all over the place. A list of the a-ha! moments I had. Maybe they'll help / be usable or applicable:

so here:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    That is smart. There's research indicating it's easier to replace a habit or create a new one rather than just "stopping" an old habit. In other words, you form a new habit that interferes with the old one.

Good luck!
  • leesamahree
    Options
    Trogalicious:

<<<skies part...angels sing>>>

THIS is what I needed to hear tonight.

THANK YOU!:flowerforyou:
  • leesamahree
    Options
    See!? You guys are damn awesome.

Glad I opened up the laptop tonight.

Why is it so hard to get on these board via cellphone? Gah.