Lowest metabolism in the world - help! 19 and struggling

Options
I am 19, 63 kilos and 5'3
I used to be extremely sporty and active until the beginning of last year when I moved cities and lost motivation with sport. My metabolism has since then slowed down because of my terrible eating habits. Working nights has meant that while I usually stay under my 5000kj limit per day, I only eat 1 or 2 meals, as I dont tend to snack but just like to have 2 meals a day, usually lunch and dinner. How do I speed up my metabolism? Im on a suuper tight student budget, which is no excuse to not eat healthy, but it makes having the money to spend on extra meals harder. Also, if I dont like what there is available to snack on, I am more likely just to wait until my big meal and eat alot then. I eat a lot of fast food (just the chicken options) from bk and mcd as I usually come home at 3am and am too tired to cook, but am always under my 5000kj limit.
I dont know if I have explained my self well but please any help would be great! thanks!!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    No foods will have any meaningful impact to your metabolism. Moving more will.
  • nzjamaican
    Options
    So eating pattern doesnt affect it, just more exercise?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    how many calories is 5000kj? I am idiot when it comes to conversion....
    Eating at maintenance or above for a period of time will bump up metabolism as well. Weight training is a big helper, for sure.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Eating amount will make a difference, but when you eat makes little to no difference.
    Exercise and increased muscle will raise your metabolic level.
    But you can probably eat calories faster than you can exercise them off. (It's pretty easy to eat 500 calories in a few minutes and hard to exercise 500 calories in an hour.)
  • nzjamaican
    Options
    Il have to get my a** back into the gym then. I like weights more than cardio! its 1200 calories but when I go to the gym again reguarly Il recalculate it so it will be around 2000
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So eating pattern doesnt affect it, just more exercise?

The only way your eating pattern really affects your metabolism is indirectly regarding energy, particularly with respect to your workouts.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Eating amount will make a difference, but when you eat makes little to know difference.
    Exercise and increased muscle will raise your metabolic level.
    But you can probably eat calories faster than you can exercise them off. (It's pretty easy to eat 500 calories in a few minutes and hard to exercise 500 calories in an hour.)

So true, every word, especially last paragraph. LOL
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    how many calories is 5000kj? I am idiot when it comes to conversion....
    Eating at maintenance or above for a period of time will bump up metabolism as well. Weight training is a big helper, for sure.
    Under 1200.

http://www.unitconversion.org/energy/kilojoules-to-calories-nutritional-conversion.html
  • zoquo
    zoquo Posts: 75
    Options
    Gain some muscle - hit the weights. They don't have to be heavy just do some resistance training.