For the folks with Multiple Sclerosis ONLY

Options
Hey guys, I'm going to a neurologist tomorrow with a very probable diagnosis of MS (after finding 4 lesions on MRI and at least 3 "episodes" that I can think of) I'm doing research on the Swank diet and *limited* research into diet and complimentary therapies, since I have no interest in getting on interferons or any other crazy medications at 25 years old. I will do it if I have to, but I would prefer to start with the basics (diet, exercise, complimentary therapies etc.) Do any of you follow this diet or use anything other than the "traditional" medications for your MS? Please keep in mind that I am a Registered Nurse and I work in high acuity environments (ICU and ER only) so not only am I not a "hippie," but I do believe in western medicine. There's just a lot of evidence that points to environmental and lifestyle factors when it comes to autoimmune diseases. I'm also not looking to argue with anyone which happens frequently on this site, so please just be kind and stick to facts. Here's an interesting youtube video I just watched regarding autoimmune diseases and the Swank theory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmZdI8jinIw

Replies

• HolyMolyCow
    HolyMolyCow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey,

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that you have a probable diagnosis of MS, but at least you'll know what it is. I was diagnosed a little over a year ago with MS.

When I was first diagnosed (at 21 years old), I didn't want to touch medications. I was extremely frightened by the idea of putting something into my body that could have additional and different side effects from the MS itself. However, after spending a couple months doing only diet and herbal therapies I found a medication that didn't have terrible side effects, Copaxone.

Overall I believe that my diet, supplement and exercise regimen help me a lot. I wish I could tell you that I never had any issues since, but I recently have. I still believe what I'm doing is helping me greatly. My mom is an M.D. and has been working with me to try to limit my triggers.

If you want to stick with food and herbal/supplements only your best bet is going the be the following (I still do them now along with the medication and a great deal of exercise):

Either of these two diets are the best for MS patients in my experience, and the best for me:

1. Dr. Weil's Diet
    2. Best Best Diet for MS

*you can look both of those up and get a great deal of information on them. They are both very similar in a lot of ways.

Supplements include but are not limited to:

Ginger (for digestion) and probiotics
    Fish Oils: take as many as possible that your body can handle. I take 4,000mg in the morning and 4,000mg at night
    Vitamin D: 10,000 units/day
    Potassium
    Iodine
    CoQ10: antioxidant
    Alpha Lipoic Acid
    Trans-Ferulic Acid 250mg
    Siberian Eurethro
    Tumeric
    Vitamin K
    Valerian Root and Primrose Oil: for stress and relaxation of the mind and body (trust me with MS you need it)
    Multi-vitamin

I wish you the best! I hope everything goes well for you. Keep me informed if you discover anything I haven't found yet! I always love getting new information and feel free to add me as a friend!

Sincerely,

Nicolette
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine has MS, and he also spurned traditional medicine. He keeps to a loose vegan diet (he'll eat salmon if it's served to him, but mostly produce and nuts and seeds), and he meditates for three hours every morning. He jokes that he used to meditate three hours at night, too, but then he got a girlfriend!

Anyway, he lives well in spite of the diagnosis, and I'm sure you'll do well, too. I hope I could be of some help.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
  • Chiibee
    Chiibee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was actually diagnosed with MS last February. I'm taking part in the study for MS. Actually, there has been some improvement in my symptoms since I started on the medication. I'm getting my diet in order, and working out now too. I feel as though each case of MS is different. While many do just fine with traditional medicines, some need the help of western treatments. I've tried the traditional route, and while it didn't hurt, it also didn't make it better. Depending on the severity of illness, I think we should take a route that works for us. My struggle isn't so much with the medication, but with my diet. I've been getting lectured lately that I'm not consuming enough calories in a day to achieve the weight loss that I'm looking for; not just to lose the weight, but to also to allow my body to receive proper nutrition.
    I wish u guys luck, and hope that we can all stay supportive and fight the fight.
  • jackieg218
    jackieg218 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hey there!! I was diagnosed with MS in 2001 (confirmed by spinal tap) as well as lesions. I had flare after flare for a while. Foot drop or ON is how mine hits the most.

I was put on Betaseron and when that wasnt cutting the mustard they added Novantrone as well. I was quickly moved from R&R to secondary progressive. It was at that point I thought enough was enough ( I was on such a handfull of meds and I spent most of my time chasing side effects. ) Thats when I stopped all meds.

I cant tell you how much better I feel!!! I have not had a flare in a few years and if I do, I just go on high dose pred. I just try to be sure I get a ton of protien (since the mylin is protien coated) and I refuse to give in.

Just wanted to drop in and let you know your not alone!!!

Jackie
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you every one for your responses...I'm just now reading this again because I forgot about it :embarassed:

I got an official diagnosis on Monday after another spinal MRI showing another lesion and a spinal tap. The neurologist wants to put me on copaxone, and I'm going to do it. I don't think I could live with myself if I got another episode that hit hard and didn't go away, and I knew I didn't do everything in my power to prevent it. I've been eating vegan for a few weeks now and I feel GREAT when i don't cheat...it's almost instantaneous that I feel like *kitten* when I cheat. My 12 hour shifts are hard and I feel like I've been hit by a truck right around the 9th hour. I'm starting to exercise again (I was scared of falling) and I jogged on the treadmill yesterday! It's been a crazy 3 weeks from an ER visit to full blown MS diagnosis, but I think I'm over the initial shock of it and ready to start making better lifestyle choices.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to share with me, feel free to add :flowerforyou:
  • Chiibee
    Chiibee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've thought about going vegan, but the idea kinda freaks me out. How did the switch work for you?
  • melissa0371969
    Options
    I'm considering the same thing. I have MS too and I have read that cutting out meat and dairy is a good thing for MS.
  • mumc_63
    Options
    Hey,

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that you have a probable diagnosis of MS, but at least you'll know what it is. I was diagnosed a little over a year ago with MS.

When I was first diagnosed (at 21 years old), I didn't want to touch medications. I was extremely frightened by the idea of putting something into my body that could have additional and different side effects from the MS itself. However, after spending a couple months doing only diet and herbal therapies I found a medication that didn't have terrible side effects, Copaxone.

Overall I believe that my diet, supplement and exercise regimen help me a lot. I wish I could tell you that I never had any issues since, but I recently have. I still believe what I'm doing is helping me greatly. My mom is an M.D. and has been working with me to try to limit my triggers.

If you want to stick with food and herbal/supplements only your best bet is going the be the following (I still do them now along with the medication and a great deal of exercise):

Either of these two diets are the best for MS patients in my experience, and the best for me:

1. Dr. Weil's Diet
    2. Best Best Diet for MS

*you can look both of those up and get a great deal of information on them. They are both very similar in a lot of ways.

Supplements include but are not limited to:

Ginger (for digestion) and probiotics
    Fish Oils: take as many as possible that your body can handle. I take 4,000mg in the morning and 4,000mg at night
    Vitamin D: 10,000 units/day
    Potassium
    Iodine
    CoQ10: antioxidant
    Alpha Lipoic Acid
    Trans-Ferulic Acid 250mg
    Siberian Eurethro
    Tumeric
    Vitamin K
    Valerian Root and Primrose Oil: for stress and relaxation of the mind and body (trust me with MS you need it)
    Multi-vitamin

I wish you the best! I hope everything goes well for you. Keep me informed if you discover anything I haven't found yet! I always love getting new information and feel free to add me as a friend!

Sincerely,

Nicolette

• mumc_63
    Options
    Thx so much...im 51 with MS (diagnosed at age 45)..& diabetes (diagnosed at age 40). Im on oral meds for the diabetes. Its under control. Im on Copaxone for the ms. I wondered if u know what exercises are best for ms patients. I do have weakness in my legs after short exercises...just need amy suggestions I can get. Thx ! :)